Looking for a cool weekend cruiser

5,777 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigPuma
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tinkering with the idea of buying a cool weekend cruiser. Either a classic convertible or an older jeep/bronco.

Looking at spending no more than $20k. Purpose is just to have something different to drive around when the weather is nice on weekends.

Any suggestions or listings people know of?
permabull
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
Vette is an obvious suggestion. Miata of any vintage is always great. 90s vintage Japanese would be sweet if you could find something not outrageously priced or modded to *****

3000GT

Eclipse

300ZX
Canyon99
300ZX
permabull
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
Canyon99 said:

300ZX
beautiful car.
moore42
AG
I have a buddy that's about to be selling his 2003 Z06. Should easily fit into your budget with money for some LT headers and a tune to wake it up.
meggy09
AG
It's going to be hard to beat a c5/6 for performance. I'll counter the JDM suggestions with a MB SL55/600, E46 M3 or 335.

I just bought a 2006 M3 vert and am enjoying it.
Ciboag96
This

FIDO*98*
AG
Wow, kind of surprised at the lack of Jeep responses. We've got a 2006 TJ and absolutely love riding around town in it. We go with the bikini top/doors off for summer. Jeeps are like Legos for adults. You can never be done modding them or transforming them in different times of the year and they are very easy to work on.
TulaneAg
You can buy a 99-2004 (996 series) Porsche 911 convertible for $16-25k. There are some things you need to know and look out for. But plenty of well-sorted cars to choose from across the country once you filter out the suspect ones.

I bought a 99 convertible about 18 mos. ago and it's been a blast. Wife and daughter love it too... I enjoyed it so much that I bought a low-mileage 996 coupe for myself as a daily driver back in May.
meggy09
AG
Polaris Slingshot
ChoppinDs40
AG
meggy09 said:

Polaris Slingshot

I said less than 20, not starting at 22k
ChoppinDs40
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Wow, kind of surprised at the lack of Jeep responses. We've got a 2006 TJ and absolutely love riding around town in it. We go with the bikini top/doors off for summer. Jeeps are like Legos for adults. You can never be done modding them or transforming them in different times of the year and they are very easy to work on.

Agreed. Although having a cool little car would be nice, I think all of the suggestions or porsches or MB or BMWs defeats the purpose of low cost - wouldn't maintenance kill me on those?

Would love a jeep that I never put the top on. Although, an older vette (no t-top, straight convertible) sounds cool too.
The Wonderer
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

FIDO*98* said:

Agreed. Although having a cool little car would be nice, I think all of the suggestions or porsches or MB or BMWs defeats the purpose of low cost - wouldn't maintenance kill me on those?

Would love a jeep that I never put the top on. Although, an older vette (no t-top, straight convertible) sounds cool too.
If you rack up the mileage as a daily driver, probably. I factored about $2500/year for 2013 335is convertible that I just bought. It only has 35k on it, so I'm not overly worried about maintenance just yet.

ETA: it will mostly be a nice weekender/nice commute day driver once I get the fun of driving it out of my system a little bit more.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Since you said "cruiser" ywia

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2868037
FJB
gig em 02
I'd go with a hummer or that Camaro that was posted here a couple weeks ago
Corps_Ag12
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Since you said "cruiser" ywia

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2868037

Oh my, that is so tempting for an in town commuter.
Duncan Idaho
meggy09 said:

Polaris Slingshot

What is the current legal status of these in Texas? I have seen a fee around but I thought there was some pushback from the state saying they aren't motorcycles since you don't straddle frame
Furlock Bones
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

meggy09 said:

Polaris Slingshot

What is the current legal status of these in Texas? I have seen a fee around but I thought there was some pushback from the state saying they aren't motorcycles since you don't straddle frame

they are legal titled as motorcycles. in doing so, Polaris completely screwed over Ariel Atom owners who had their title's revoked.
madd_ag_05
AG
Off topic, but not all Eclipses were FWD.

Granted, I have a feeling it's very hard in 2017 to find a well-running example that hasn't been modded to death by now, but the first two generations were available with AWD.
Aggiehunter34
S
I have a 2010 Wrangler that I use as my weekend driver. I have been kicking around the idea of selling it, but have not decided 100%. It has just under 70K miles on it with the V6 automatic transmission. It is maroon, with a hard top and zero mods. It is the sport edition, with both hard and soft tops, power windows/locks, cruise, etc.
Tim Weaver
I'm a big fan of 90's Mercedes. Like this fine example...

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/mercedes-sl/6235842951.html

Use what's left over from that 20k to fund an independent mechanic to keep it up for you. The older Mercs are surprisingly easy to work on, and are pretty reliable too.
ChoppinDs40
AG
10k miles a year - i assume you're not the first owner?
Silvy
AG
T-Top WS6 or you a *****
Noblemen06
AG
Jeep x1000000

I've had a TJ and a JKU...gonna buy another one next year (Rubicon Recon). They're hugely fun vehicles that can take you anywhere and as another poster said, they're infinitely modular/customizable. Great community, too.
moore42
AG
c5 corvette kart with $14k still left in your pocket

lightweight...check
open top...check
performance...check
street legal...check
fun as hell...triple check

Papa_Blaze
AG
now that's a clear coat!
K Bo
AG
Another vote for a Jeep. I picked up an LJ earlier this year for a weekend/nice weather cruiser. It's fun to drive and very engaging.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I wish my dad would decide if he is going to sell his JKU or not. I want another Jeep, but I don't want to go through the effort of buying one then him decide to sell his then trying to sell mine in his time frame.
will.mcg
AG
I'm not on Facebook so I don't know what group this was posted on but there is a phone number. Cummins 12valve DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Someone please fix my img.
The Wonderer
AG
will.mcg said:

I'm not on Facebook so I don't know what group this was posted on but there is a phone number. Cummins 12valve DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Someone please fix my img.
Silvy
AG
dodger02
AG
My dad and I bought an '08 JK in May. It's our shared weekend cruiser. It has <80k miles, upgraded Mopar bumpers, brand new 33" tires, and is pristine inside and out. With an extended warranty, we were right at $20k. We love it. It really is a grown up's Lego set.

I'd love a C5/6. But I'd get in A LOT of trouble with a Corvette. The Jeep fits my lifestyle a bit better.
permabull
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.