DEF

1,569 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Fishing Fools
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Blue DEF by Peak at $11.89 for 2.5 Gal at Walmart.

Super Tech DEF at $5.99 for 2.5 Gal st Walmart.

Both contain purified water with Urea.

What's the difference? Which is better? How many games will Sumlin lose in November?
txyaloo
AG
I think Super Tech is Walmart's "house brand". I've used Super Tech trans fluid in my trans and PS pumps with no issues.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Not that I can tell. Supertech is listed as API Certified. I was also curious as I just purchased some the other day and the truck seems to be running just fine.

Here's the link to their certificate:

https://dieselexhaust.api.org/Directory/DefResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=11102&resultsUrl=%2FDirectory%2FDefResults%3FaccountId%3D-1%26brandName%3DSupertech%26productTypeId%3D-1

And here is the BlueDEF certificate:

https://dieselexhaust.api.org/Directory/DefResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10060&resultsUrl=%2FDirectory%2FDefResults%3FaccountId%3D-1%26brandName%3DBluedef%26productTypeId%3D-1
mts6175
AG
Just FYI, I buy all my DEF from the Ford Dealer now. A guy I worked with at my previous employer had a '14 Ram Cummins that the DEF crystallized in the system, they hung him out to dry because he only put Blue DEF in it even though it's a common problem on the Ram's. As soon as that happened I stopped buying DEF from any other place an keep the receipts now just in case.
Dill-Ag13
AG
As long as the DEF meets the owners manual spec it's fine. Keep receipts and a dealer CAN'T hang you out to dry for it if you're going by the standard intervals meeting the standard spec.

Have used Supertech ps fluid, works great
Rexter
If you are close to caldwell, you can get it for $1.00/gal at Rockin G at the pump.
Gigemags05
AG
I get it at the pump at either qt or bucees. Cheaper and convenient
SCHTICK00
AG
mts6175 said:

Just FYI, I buy all my DEF from the Ford Dealer now. A guy I worked with at my previous employer had a '14 Ram Cummins that the DEF crystallized in the system, they hung him out to dry because he only put Blue DEF in it even though it's a common problem on the Ram's. As soon as that happened I stopped buying DEF from any other place an keep the receipts now just in case.

Had the same problem with my 13. It was fixed under warranty. The solution though, was to replace that portion of the PDF system which has been changed to remove the specific sensor that had been causing my truck to go into limp mode. A dealer delete if you will. The ecm had to be reprogrammed since the sensor deleted. No problems to date. Should I have anymore problems I'll go full delete
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
IMO, DEF is DEF is DEF.

The main thing is to buy from a place that sells at the pump or buy jugs of it from places that sell a lot.

When I was living overseas and not driving my truck much, I only put in the bare minimum amount of DEF that I needed to (never topped off) because the truck would sit for 3 months at a time.

Besides you telling the dealer that you used Blue DEF or Supertech DEF, how could they prove that you didn't use Ford DEF?

Everyone makes DEF now, even shell offers a Rotella DEF.
JB
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

As long as the DEF meets the owners manual spec it's fine. Keep receipts and a dealer CAN'T hang you out to dry for it if you're going by the standard intervals meeting the standard spec.

Have used Supertech ps fluid, works great
Agreed. I don't have to deal with DEF anymore, but if I did and a dealer told me I had to buy it from them, I have to tell them to kick rocks.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Good Info on DEF

The rules for calling something DEF is set-up by ISO 22241-1:2006. I designed a plant to make it in West Texas. The Urea has to be fresh, non-recycled Urea. But the water has to be essentially pure; can be created in higher concentration (usually 67 or 50%), but sold at 32.5% concentration.

But DEF is DEF.

~egon
CATAGBQ04
AG
Still happy with the gasser
Agmechanic
AG
The dealerships buy def from the cheapest places they can find. fYI
Stat Monitor Repairman

Piss in the pot kids. Daddy needs some DEF to get to work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.