Deflating trailer tires when hot

1,166 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Ag In Ok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a travel trailer and it comes with the Goodyear marathon tires which for many are problematic. I heard it may be wise to slightly deflate the tire to a lower pressure to reduce the risk of a blowout. Momma wants to go camping and I have to drive through the heat, any recommendations on how much to drop the pressure and maintain safety?
Picard
AG
How about you replace the trailer tires with ones that are of better quality?

Roger That
AG
The biggest cause of problems from trailer tires is from under inflation. Higher inflation = higher load capacity.

If you're worried about your tire health, install a TPMS and watch your pressure and temp.
Ag In Ok
AG
Michelin LTs are on order along with new wheels
MouthBQ98
AG
underinflation = more friction = more heat
underinflation = less gas = less matter to absorb the heat that exists = more heat

You might not inflate it to the max, but I sure as heck would keep it within the recommended range. It is engineered to deal with operating temps and pressures under long use.
CanyonAg77
AG
Lower inflation = more sidewall flexing, which leads to blowouts.
txags92
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Lower inflation = more sidewall flexing, which leads to blowouts.
This! Do not under inflate trailer tires. That is asking for big trouble.
Ag In Ok
AG
Going to buy a tpms this evening. Will give it a go.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ag In Ok said:

I have a travel trailer and it comes with the Goodyear marathon tires which for many are problematic. I heard it may be wise to slightly deflate the tire to a lower pressure to reduce the risk of a blowout. Momma wants to go camping and I have to drive through the heat, any recommendations on how much to drop the pressure and maintain safety?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.