2014 F150 tailgate camera replacement

1,489 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
cochrum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey everyone, my tailgate camera is going out and I took it to the dealer. They want to charge $800 to replace it. However I would rather do it on my own. I can get a camera for 300- 350 dollars online. Has anyone done this before? I looked online and did not find any great instruction videos. I'm located in San Antonio so if you know someone who can do it for a better price let me know. Thanks.
Bob_Ag
AG
Just curious, what are the symptoms you are seeing?
cochrum
AG
The screen only works on occasion. It will turn off and on then sometimes will never turn on. I thought it would be a wiring issue but they said the diagnostics show the camera is going out.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Is your camera logo mounted or handle mounted?

Both are incredibly easy to replace.

Let me know and I'll walk you through.
cochrum
AG
That would be great. I will let you know when I get the camera. It is the emblem camera.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Super easy.

Youll need:

Painters tape (to prevent scratches)
Fishing tape
5/16 or 9/32 (cant remember) with a ratchet or nut driver
Dental pick/right angle pick/small screwdriver

You can do this with the tailgate on the truck or remove it.

I prefer to remove it and place it on a blanket or old bedsheet.

SO youll want to unplug the harness at the bottom of the tailgate first.

Mask off all around the logo so you dont scratch the paint.

I used a right angle pick on the underside.

The logo pops out and there are two 5/16 or 9/32 screws there. Undo those and the camera/lower logo housing is free. There may be some adhesive/foam under there but not a whole lot.

The camera harness may have a clip that holds the harness in on the bottom seam of the gate.

Now you can do the fish tape up the same opening where the harness comes out, and into the hole where the logo/camera is. Tape the harness to the fish tape and feed it through.

Pull fish tape out and use the painters tape to temporarily tuck the harness plug against the gate (dont want to smash the plug during gate installation).

Push the camera/lower logo assy into the tailgate.

Install screws

Snap logo face back onto the lower logo.

Install gate.

Hose clamp on the lower right hinge to slow down/annoy thieves.
cochrum
AG
That's sounds easy enough! Do I have to reroute it all the way back to the dashboard? That's what I'm worried about the most. I was going to buy the emblem and camera package. Is there any other camera besides the factory camera that you suggest? Thanks again for the help!
TexCOAg
AG
I have the same issue on my 2010 F150.

I'm curious if the dealer charged you for the diagnostics?

Where are you planning on buying the camera from?

Thanks
cochrum
AG
Yep they charged me 150 dollars. But it also included a vehicle inspection as well, however still too expensive. Dont know where I will buy it yet.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
cochrum said:

That's sounds easy enough! Do I have to reroute it all the way back to the dashboard? That's what I'm worried about the most. I was going to buy the emblem and camera package. Is there any other camera besides the factory camera that you suggest? Thanks again for the help!
shouldnt, it just plugs at the tailgate.

Unless you have wiring harness issues, but they diagnosed it as the camera itself.
hurricanejake02
AG
Camera-Source.net Factory Camera Replacement

Used products from these guys when I added a camera to my '09 Sierra that didn't have one from the factory and have zero complaints. Clear instructions and a camera of better quality than what came from the factory.
cochrum
AG
That's great. I really appreciate the help guys!
TexCOAg
AG
1ags - According to your knowledge / experience, are F150 tailgate camera issues usual due to bad camera or some other cause such as wiring issues? Thanks
Mattressburn
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

Camera-Source.net Factory Camera Replacement

Used products from these guys when I added a camera to my '09 Sierra that didn't have one from the factory and have zero complaints. Clear instructions and a camera of better quality than what came from the factory.

Used these guys are they're great. Actually had one go bad and they sent me another one no questions asked. Had that one since 2012.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TexCOAg said:

1ags - According to your knowledge / experience, are F150 tailgate camera issues usual due to bad camera or some other cause such as wiring issues? Thanks
I think it has to do with the severe conditions they're exposed to, i.e. sitting on a rattling tailgate, dust, dirt, weather etc.

Seems that pickup truck tailgate cameras go bad much more often than ones mounted on a car trunk.
AggieKelly18
AG
Hoping someone can answer another Ford rear camera question!

I've got a 2011 Ford Taurus, and after sitting for a couple weeks while we were on vacation, I drove it yesterday and noticed that the camera image is flipped upside down. After restarting the car, the image corrected itself, but was again flipped this morning. Could this be a software issue, or is the camera going bad?
The Wonderer
AG
AggieKelly18 said:

I've got a 2011 Ford Taurus, and after sitting for a couple weeks while we were on vacation, I drove it yesterday and noticed that the camera image is flipped upside down. After restarting the car, the image corrected itself, but was again flipped this morning. Could this be a software issue, or is the camera going bad?

The car keeps thinking that it is in Australia.
MultifamilyAg
AG
I replaced mine on my 2013 F-150 last summer. I think the camera cost around $150-200 or so from the local Ford house. I just popped off the Ford logo/emblem and this exposed the two screws on the emblem/camera assembly that holds it to the tailgate. Took those two screws out and replaced camera by removing and reinstalling retainer clip and wire harness plug. Was a 5-10 minute job with the parts in hand. Only issue I had was plastic clips on Ford emblem broke off in the process of removal and I had to buy another for around $40.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AggieKelly18 said:

Update your sync software.

www.syncmyride.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.