2011 F-150 Repair

1,075 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
12th Man Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an ignition coil going out in Cylinder 2. The shops is recommending replacing all 6 since they will most likely all start going out eventually. Cylinder 3 was replaced about 6 months ago.

Do you think it makes sense to go ahead and knock out all 6 and plugs now vs. bringing it in 2-3 more times as they start going out?
JB
AG
Up to you. I would just replace the bad coil. Not sure how it is on V6, but on my older 5.4, it's just a plug and a bolt. Can be done pretty easily as they go out. The coils are also much cheaper online then at the parts store/shop.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
JB said:

Up to you. I would just replace the bad coil. Not sure how it is on V6, but on my older 5.4, it's just a plug and a bolt. Can be done pretty easily as they go out. The coils are also much cheaper online then at the parts store/shop.

This
Plugs and coils on these trucks are about as easy as it gets. Process is very similar to the 5.4.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Why isnt this truck sitting in my driveway for repair? LOL.
frankm01
Are aftermarket coils from the internet as reliable as the OEM (Motorcraft in this case)? Any off-brands to stay away from?
EMY92
AG
I would stick with the Motorcraft.
Shelton98
AG
frankm01 said:

Are aftermarket coils from the internet as reliable as the OEM (Motorcraft in this case)? Any off-brands to stay away from?

My old beater's got 285K miles on it ('02 5.4) and I've probably changed out every COP at least 4 times. I bought a set of 8 Global COP's off e-bay for $75 a few years ago.... they all went out within 2 yrs (30K miles). The Valucraft ones from Autozone are $48/ea and they aren't much better. The Duralast ones from Autozone are $62/ea with a limited lifetime warranty and I haven't had one of those fail yet.
Kenneth_2003
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Obviously OP doesn't want to drop the extra $1000 for a 2010, 11, 12 lariat, king ranch, raptor, Harley Davidson?

Granted he'd know it won't be LS swapped.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Obviously OP doesn't want to drop the extra $1000 for a 2010, 11, 12 lariat, king ranch, raptor, Harley Davidson?

Granted he'd know it won't be LS swapped.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.