Ram 1500 trailer brake control

1,179 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Ag In Ok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 2016 ram 1500 that came with the towing package - class iv hitch, max engine cooling however on the sticker it doesn't say it has an integrated trailer brake control. It does have the tow / haul mode button. Does that integrate the braking systems or is that a button with a light?
KRamp90
AG
I don't think so. With trailer brake controllers you can set parameters, like how much force goes to the trailer, when you brake. Tow/Haul just maximizes your transmission for towing, like downshifting, and keeping it out of OD.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
KRamp90 said:

I don't think so. With trailer brake controllers you can set parameters, like how much force goes to the trailer, when you brake. Tow/Haul just maximizes your transmission for towing, like downshifting, and keeping it out of OD.
This.
Ag In Ok
AG
Yup I think I got one pulled over on me. Calling around to see who can install one for me in short order. Dammit.
Corps_Ag12
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Trailer-Controller-Factory-Mopar/dp/B010E58NPY

You'll need to have the dealer flash the computer so that the computer & the brake controller can talk to each other.

Or you can always add an aftermarket one like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195-Electronic-Brake-Control/dp/B000P17NXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500404587&sr=8-1&keywords=tekonsha+brake+controller

I prefer factory integrated items though for a cleaner look.
sts7049
AG
you bought from a dealer or 3rd party?
AstroAggie15
AG
fyi this thread got me curious as I dont have it on my Lone Star 1500.

Found the part for $225 on ebay and called the dealership and they quoted the install & programming at $214
Ag In Ok
AG
Dealer in Frisco. Got a quote for about 500. Installed factory original and programmed. Will look like new. Appearantly the install is a ***** for the Mopar.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Yeah, I have the 2015 RAM and it should be a sliding mechanism near the tow/haul button. Sounds like you got taken.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ag In Ok said:

Yup I think I got one pulled over on me. Calling around to see who can install one for me in short order. Dammit.
The website for Ram trucks clearly states that the brake controller is an a la carte option, (unless you buy it bundled with the bro mirrors). The "tow package", which is standard equipment in most Ram trim levels now, includes your 4 and 7 pin wiring, receiver, coolers etc. Only way to delete these is to have a Fleet ID number and order a bulk order of vehicles.

Ag In Ok
AG
If I move up to a 3/4 ton I will go elsewhere to buy.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ag In Ok said:

If I move up to a 3/4 ton I will go elsewhere to buy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.