Fuel additives?

2,834 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Silvy
Strongwind86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question for y'all on fuel additives.

Is there any real benefit to running some kind of additive to the fuel system occasionally? I typically run regular (87 octane) in my vehicles (that's what they require). Not a gas snob - will buy from Krogers/Randalls/HEB...

I've bought the Lucas fuel treatment in the big bottle - run it through every 5 or 6 tanks.
Lucas Fuel Treatment

Never have fuel related issues, so I assume it's working (or not causing problems...)

Anyone have any thoughts to share?
Other additives that work better?

Thx SW86
mm98
AG
I took the advice from this board and drop in a can of Chemtool B12 in the gas tank after every oil change.

That said in the past 8 years I haven't kept a car long enough to speak of any benefits. But it makes me feel better, so there's that.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I've always put a can of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool in the tank at each oil change for the last 22 years. Whether it helps or not I don't know, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I've never had fuel system issues. Too bad Berryman's doesn't make any horn fluid.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Chemtool is good.

BG44K is also a good one. ( Buy on Ebay)
91AggieLawyer
AG
Amazon also has BG.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Amazon also has BG.
I noticed that a while back, but a little pricier than ebay...regardless, once or twice a year is enough for that stuff.
An Ag in CO
AG
I have never used a fuel additive and have never seen a reason to do so.
harge57
AG
Curious on why you would do it after an oil change instead of before?
mm98
AG
harge57 said:

Curious on why you would do it after an oil change instead of before?

I don't really have a reason why. I just jack up the car, change my oil, lower car, drop in B12. Should I be doing it differently?

Martin Q. Blank
If you fill with top tier gas, I don't see the reason as the additive is in the gas itself.
Silvy
AG
Yep, I just stick to top tier gas.
Strongwind86
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

If you fill with top tier gas, I don't see the reason as the additive is in the gas itself.

Please define "top tier" gas.
Are you suggesting one brand over another? Shell or Exxon vs "grocery store" pumps?
Or going 89 or 93 octane instead of the 87 octane in "regular" gas?

Not trying to be an ass... but gas is refined all over the place to a certain octane (87/89/91/??). Blended with ethanol (EPA?). Each company squirts its own "secret sauce" in the tanker as it's being filled for delivery, right? ... I don't believe there is much difference between brands of gas other than the additive they put in for "branding", correct?

Gas is a commodity, sold by energy/octane value, correct?

Silvy
AG
http://www.toptiergas.com
Strongwind86
AG
silverado_lover said:

http://www.toptiergas.com
Interesting. Was not aware. Thx
L8HIT
AG
That website seems to list every gas station as top tier gas even ones I avoid like Kwik Trip, QT, Valero and the like so...
Strongwind86
AG
So... Another question.
Buc-ees sells gasoline (probably quite a bit...). Who do they buy from? How would you tell if an independent station carries gas that is "Top Tier"? (besides the branded list on the website)

If they station is "Top Tier", do they promote/advertise?
Sticker on the pump maybe?

Thx SW86
Martin Q. Blank
There is a sticker on the pump.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
IMO, Top Tier Gas is a marketing thing.

All gasoline has some kind of detergent. The issue is, theres nobody enforcing or checking if fuel you just pumped is really 'top tier'. Theyre supposely 'self testing'.

Everyone markets differently. Even costco claims they offer more detergent than the minimum required.

dodger02
AG
I use RXP. One bottle at every oil change. I think it's in stores in DFW but also available for purchase on the interwebs.

I buy it by the case and it lasts me a really long time. Like Kitten said above, I don't really know if it works or not but it hasn't hurt anything.

Anyone else do the same?
ClickClack
AG
I just fill up with shell every other time / every third time and call it a day. Other times I use sams or Kroger.
redd38
AG
What are you people's thoughts on putting sea foam in the oil? I'm thinking about giving that a shot before my next oil change.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Strongwind86 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Please define "top tier" gas.
Are you suggesting one brand over another? Shell or Exxon vs "grocery store" pumps?
Or going 89 or 93 octane instead of the 87 octane in "regular" gas?

Not trying to be an ass... but gas is refined all over the place to a certain octane (87/89/91/??). Blended with ethanol (EPA?). Each company squirts its own "secret sauce" in the tanker as it's being filled for delivery, right? ... I don't believe there is much difference between brands of gas other than the additive they put in for "branding", correct?

Gas is a commodity, sold by energy/octane value, correct?

This is correct.

Refineries make different types of things that get blended together to make gas. Remember the "nut" or "fruit" problems from algebra (you want to make a mixture of peanuts, pecans and walnuts that is 1 lb and costs no more than $5/lb. Each nut is...). That's what making gasoline is. Coker gasoline is low RON, but cheap. Alkelate (sp?) is high RON but expensive; etc., etc.

You will have proprietary mixtures from each brand/company. There is a basic one that everyone has to follow: the EPA rules. Things like maximum benzene concentration, minimum RON, maximum vapor pressure, etc. Much past that, you can mix and match whatever you want. Most (if not all) put some kind of detergent into the gasoline. EPA also requires oxygenated compounds in the fuel. Back in the day (before President W), you could use MTBE. Then they switched to EtOH, then corn based EtOH (since the main way of making it was using Ethylene to make pure EtOH, with no water).

Putting a cleaner or additive into the gas tank every so often can help out. You put air into the gas tank when you pump it out to drive the car. That air has moisture, which due to EtOH in the fuel (and the fuel itself) can cause condensation into the gasoline. Over time, you could build up water in the gas. Also, gasoline has reactive components in the mixture (chemically: such as double or triple bonds that are looking to hook up like college aged drunk kids). If given enough time, these compounds will react and oligermerize/polymerize. These things can drop out or reduce their solubility. These, coupled with water or hydrophillic compounds, can build up in the gas tank. So putting a cleaner in tank can help re-solublize the 'bad' things and move them through the system to burn and go out as CO2.

Some of the compounds are Acetone, methanol, MEK, 2-butoxyethanol (another type of alchol), 2-propanol (another alcohol).

hth

~egon
Silvy
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.