Leaking Pinion Seal in 11.5 AAM Dodge Dually

1,779 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CATAGBQ04
BCOBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the pinion seal is leaking in my 2005 Dodge truck. The truck only has 40K miles on it and I'm guessing that it got dried out during one of the periods of inactivity. I thought it was the diff cover but I did that and cleaned everything up really good and after driving 200 miles this weekend I can clearly see it is the pinion seal. When I did the diff cover I checked that the breather line wasn't plugged and it wasn't.

So it has the AAM 11.5 inch rear end that was used by Chrysler, GM, and probable others. This rearend uses a crush washer from what I've been able to determine.

Best I can tell there are two ways to do this fix.
1. Easier : Mark the pinion nut as well as number of threads and depth it is currently on. When you reassemble you reuse the crush washer and put the nut to the same depth and maybe 1/8 inch tighter.

2. Difficult : Use a new crush washer. You have to keep tightening slowly until there isn't play in the yoke. After the play is out you have to then check the preload by putting a beam torque wrench on the pinion nut and checking inch lbs of drag. According to the literature this should be done with the axles pulled out as the bearings and brakes will cause drag thus causing an incorrect reading. You then tighten the pinion nut even slower until you get the correct preload as indicated by the beam torque wrench.

This is a truck I will keep for at least the next 10 years so I want it done right however my guess is that even the stealership is going to probably do method 1. While I will likely attempt this myself I would be up to having this done professionally if I could trust that the shop would do it correctly. I'm in Houston if that helps for advice on a shop.

Any advice?

Also is there a reason why you can't do method 1 with the rear wheels on the ground? If not you have to fabricate a tool or buy a tool to hold the yoke when you tighten the pinion
03_Aggie
I always see option number one referenced. I've had it happen to two vehicles and opted to let someone else do the work. The most recent one I took to an off-road shop and had it done. Charged me an hour for labor and I brought the seal.
Agmechanic
AG
Option one.

What 03 Said. Let someone else do it. (For the record I absolutely loathe gear work)
CATAGBQ04
AG
A decent offroad shop that does gear set ups should be able to knock this out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.