Selling my Tundra, Buying an Explorer

2,684 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgOutsideAustin
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm about to buy an Explorer XLT, and I'm leaning toward selling my 2005 Tundra Double Cab SR5 myself since it seems like I'll get more for it that way than trading it in. That said, I've never sold a car myself before, so I'm looking for any advice about the process. Is it a huge pain in the ass, or is it usually not too bad? Should I not expect much difference in price from what I would get for a trade-in but a lot of extra work dealing with potential buyers? What about selling it to a place like Carvana?

Additional questions about selling it myself:

1) Get it appraised first? If so, by who?
2) How to sell it (Craigslist, Autotrader, etc.)?
3) Necessary steps to protect myself (seems like I need a bill of sale, release of liability, and as-is documentation)?
4) Safest/best way to get the money from the sale? At the buyer's bank?

Also, if anyone has any feedback about the Explorer, I'd love to hear it.

1) Have never had a Ford before but know others who have had them for a long time. I like cars that last, so I'm hoping that I'll have similar results with this one.
2) Anything else to know about the Explorers from those that have had them?
Mr. Dubi
Texas direct auto will write you a check. Sometimes they give decent prices.
Agmechanic
AG
Explorer just had a minor redesign "refresh" so it has a up to date interior and a newer front end, but the body and engines are the same. The v6 has been solid, the ecoboosts had some early issues but are definately good now.

It will be a reliable machine.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I would post some good details about the truck on here. Sold mine in 2012 pretty quickly on TexAgs. Defintely some people on here that would be interested in an 05 Tundra on this board. 4WD?
Aggiemike96
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

Texas direct auto will write you a check. Sometimes they give decent prices.
Be prepared with the value if you go to TDA. I took a 2005 Civic (135K miles) to them a few months ago and they offered $1,000. I just laughed, grabbed my keys, and walked out.
Picard
AG
mm98
AG
nm
JB
AG
I think people pay decent money for those 1rst gen Tundras....
Dr. Venkman
AG
I'm interested in truck as well. charles0608ag at gmail
dubi
AG
AgOutsideAustin wants your truck if it has low miles!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
^^^^ you know I'm committed to your 05 Tundra ! But just for grins OP it would be nice to post some pics and info on the truck.
aggiepaintrain
AG
watching....waiting..
chupacabra tacos
AG
Don't mean to hijack, but I have a 2008 Tundra I'm selling. I have it posted on Craigslist.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/6216748234.html

dubi
AG
chupacabra tacos said:

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a 2008 Tundra I'm selling. I have it posted on Craigslist.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/6216748234.html

High mileage? $10,500 is less than i was expecting.
chupacabra tacos
AG
Yes, high miles. 220,000. I have no doubt its only half way through it's life, but market doesn't appear to allow for more.
dubi
AG
Sorry. Missed the mileage.
gsp_hunt
Agmechanic said:

Explorer just had a minor redesign "refresh" so it has a up to date interior and a newer front end, but the body and engines are the same. The v6 has been solid, the ecoboosts had some early issues but are definately good now.

It will be a reliable machine.
Except for the Carbon Monoxide poisoning...
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Can get a good deal on several hundred Austin PD Explorers right now, just let them peel all the decals off first.
The Dog Lord
AG
Sorry for going MIA. I appreciate the responses. I'll post some more information and pictures soon as well as contact some of you directly. The Tundra has served me well, but it does have a slight whine coming from the rear end right now. Brought it to a shop back in December right after it started, and they replaced a bunch of seals and other things (cant remember everything at the moment, but I have an almost complete set of mechanical/service records). It should be good for awhile, but it could require a little more work down the road. Probably won't be as big of a deal for someone that can do it themselves, but I wasn't going to mess with it.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Standing by.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.