2018 Honda Accord Re-design

7,613 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Macarthur
Picard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2018 Honda Accord Re-design

• V6 engine is no more
  • Coupe is no more

I stopped reading after those two blows below the belt.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/accord/2018/2018-honda-accord-first-look-lower-wider-shorter/

JBLHAG03
AG
It says coupe only makes up 4% of sales, so that is understandable. Losing V6 is sad.
Jack Cheese
AG
Styling looks good I guess, but the rear reminds me a late-90s Ford Taurus.
MouthBQ98
AG
CAFE + Americans accepting turbos.
MouthBQ98
AG
Looks vaguely Jagish. Did anyone tell them a big piece of the grille is missing?
sts7049
AG
honda needs to fire their exterior design team
Pendragon12
AG
Getting rid of the 6 cylinder is terrible
dodger02
AG
Ass end looks like a Volkswagen TT.
WoMD
What the hell happened to the tail lights? Could they not afford to provide one without a notch bit out of it?
91AggieLawyer
AG
My wife still drives her '01 Accord as a daily. Had it not come with a V6, we never would have purchased it.
Noblemen06
AG
That is a fugly car
jna97
AG
Just got a '17 touring model with the v6. Feel like i have an instant classic
longeryak
91AggieLawyer said:

My wife still drives her '01 Accord as a daily. Had it not come with a V6, we never would have purchased it.

2001 i-4 150hp and 152ft torque. curb weight 3000

2001 V6 200hp and 195ft torque. curb weight 3250

2018 i-4 192hp and 193ft torque. The turbo is 252 hp. curb weight 3100ish- all I could find is it sheds a 110-170lbs (options dependent) from the 2017 which weighed 3239

Be interesting to see if the modern 10 speed transmission, and aerodynamics, will give the base 2018 i-4 a real world performance number edge or not.

Pretty sure F150 fans had the same reaction to the announcement of the v6 ecoboost.
TriAg2010
AG
I guess Consumer Report will be happy they finally got rid of the D and D3 positions on the gear shifter. I guess it would have had to read D and D7 with the new transmission.
mm98
AG
I actually like the look and am very intrigued by the 2.0/10sp combo.

I think if you took that article and edited any mention of "Honda Accord" and replaced with "Ford Fusion", the reactions on this thread would look a lot different.
Token
AG
How do people still buy hondas? Zero imagination in their design
longeryak
With wind tunnel testing aerodynamics to meet CAFE standards many sedans have a pretty generic silhouette these days.
Agmechanic
AG
That looks like a fusion. Seriously.
mm98
AG
Agmechanic said:

Thought the same.
ClickClack
AG
longeryak said:

91AggieLawyer said:

2001 i-4 150hp and 152ft torque. curb weight 3000

2001 V6 200hp and 195ft torque. curb weight 3250

2018 i-4 192hp and 193ft torque. The turbo is 252 hp. curb weight 3100ish- all I could find is it sheds a 110-170lbs (options dependent) from the 2017 which weighed 3239

Be interesting to see if the modern 10 speed transmission, and aerodynamics, will give the base 2018 i-4 a real world performance number edge or not.

Pretty sure F150 fans had the same reaction to the announcement of the v6 ecoboost.

Yeah I don't get the outrage here. This isn't exactly new...all sedans (and a lot of SUVs) will be I-4's soon...get one with a turbo. My 2013 328i is an I-4 turbo and it's got plenty of power.

The Fusion ecoboost that everyone here loves is a 4-cylinder turbo.
aggiebq03+
It's a Honda Accord.
I'm really baffled anyone can work up the energy to care enough to thumbs down anything related to an Accord. I could barely work up the energy to post on this thread. I mostly did it so I could fall asleep.
YouBet
AG
Actually, it looks almost identical to a Chevy Malibu. Pull up link in this thread and open a tab to Chevrolet and look at side shots of both cars. It's the same damn car.

It doesn't look much like the Fusion to me at all once you compare it to the Malibu.
Macarthur
Token said:

For the price point, their design is fantastic d. I've owned two and this new one looks great.
Buck O Five
AG
Token said:

I've noticed a certain smugness from owners of particular hondas and toyotas. They know they are driving some of the most practical, reliable means of getting from a to b, and see no purpose in anything beyond function.

Maybe the fact that they're ugly makes the owners feel like they saved money spent on frivolous design.
Macarthur
Gee, smug sure doesn't seem like the right description of a honda owner. Especially based on them driving said auto....
khkman22
AG
Looks like the Turbo will be 29/35 mpg rating. Don't have much more information than that on their site. I assume the Turbo will probably be about the same price difference on the EX-L that the V6 was previously? Anybody have any idea when it will be released?
longeryak
Jalopnik did a recent test drive. https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-honda-accord-is-just-a-damn-good-car-1818976184
Texker
AG
Dad purchased one of these but was a '77 model. Cost was $5250 out the door. Drove it over 300k miles.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/1976-honda-accord-feature-flashback/#1976-honda-accord-hatchback-front
longeryak
Texker said:

Dad purchased one of these but was a '77 model. Cost was $5250 out the door. Drove it over 300k miles.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/1976-honda-accord-feature-flashback/#1976-honda-accord-hatchback-front
That would be $21-22K in today's dollars.
sts7049
AG
88hp and 0-60 in 13.8 seconds. my how times have changed
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
sts7049 said:

88hp and 0-60 in 13.8 seconds. my how times have changed
My mom had one of these when I was a kid.

A 1981 Sedan with vacuum operated rear door locks. It was green inside and out.

She later upgraded to a 300SD that she rolled for 10 years.....
hatchback
AG
Agmechanic said:

The new Accord looks so much better than the current Fusion.
khkman22
AG
They've updated the website to show the specs and build your own, but without any information on or option to upgrade to the 2.0 turbo.
agracer
AG
Wheel choices are hideous. The blacked out nose does not look good on blue/red cars. White, Black, silver, grey looks OK.

And why do so many car manu. limit your interior color choices based on the exterior color? Blue car, only choices are grey leather. No black or tan. Why?
Macarthur
agracer said:

Wheel choices are hideous. The blacked out nose does not look good on blue/red cars. White, Black, silver, grey looks OK.

And why do so many car manu. limit your interior color choices based on the exterior color? Blue car, only choices are grey leather. No black or tan. Why?
That is def a negative trend, IMO.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.