Attn: 1Ags... 6.7 Diesel Help, Dealership Has Given Up!

13,381 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by idAg09
WestTxWood88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2014 F250 6.7 with 60k miles. Driving down the road doing about 65 and the back tires locked up and began to skid, brief pause, locked up again and then finally freed up. Lost 40mph in nothing flat and tough to keep it on the road. Wrench Light came on, truck was stuck in 5th gear. I eased off the road in limp mode, stopped & put it in park with the transmission grinding all the way. Had it towed in, the Ford House has had it for 2 weeks and called yesterday to say "We drove your truck and it runs fine, we put it on the rack and pulled all the codes and there is nothing wrong, come pick it up". Need a little help here as it has to be electrical / sensor... any ideas? Would like to get this fixed as it seems dangerous as hell to drive this thing just waiting for the tires to lock down.
sts7049
AG
absolutely no way i would let them give me the truck back after that. if it were to happen again and you lose control and wreck, then what? i'd be having some conversations with higher ups in the service dept.
Agmechanic
AG
Electronic rear locker problem maybe?

If the wrench light came on, theres a code logged somewhere.
Goose
AG
Yeah I can't believe what you described happening didn't throw some sort of code(s) they could use to help diagnose what occurred.
aggolfer
AG
what is the dealership so we all know which one not to use.
kingj3
AG
Posted on the OB also. Happened to me on an old Toyota. Part of the he brake pad broke apart and got jammed in the rotor every so many rotations which would lock up the wheel
WestTxWood88
AG
Gene Messer Amarillo, normally very good service - this one has them stumped
Obi Wan Ginobili
If they are quitting and telling you to pick the truck up, I would insist they pay for a tow to a different dealership.
BrazosDog02
AG
kingj3 said:

Posted on the OB also. Happened to me on an old Toyota. Part of the he brake pad broke apart and got jammed in the rotor every so many rotations which would lock up the wheel
Yeah, but in this case, that shouldn't cause limp mode in the motor, maybe you get an ABS blip, but not a limp mode. Limp mode means something has gone wrong and its going to dumb everything down to get you somewhere else. It ALWAYS throws a code....probably a hard code...meaning the CEL should be on too. If not, then certainly a soft code that is retrievable by a code reader. Those don't just 'disappear'.

I would make them take it elsewhere, but if they can't find a code on it, then you don't want them working on it either. They are either crooked or incompetent on a wholesale level and neither is worth a damn.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Buy yourself a code reader, they are cheap
CanyonAg77
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Gene Messer Amarillo, normally very good service - this one has them stumped
I didn't know you were local. I have a code reader I'd use for you if you're near Canyon. Although it sounds like they cleared the codes.
CDUB98
AG
They're screwing you.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Buy yourself a code reader, they are cheap

There was one on Prime Day for $35.
WestTxWood88
AG
Thanks for the replies, went to the Ford House today and sat down with the service manager. I told him the truck wasn't safe to drive & they could keep it until it was fixed. He got the message & said he would call a Ford engineer, but didn't sound like he had much hope. I'll keep the Auto Board posted. Also jumped on Prime Day & snagged a code reader, any recommendations on the best app for iOS?
Troy91
AG
I use DashCommand.
MouthBQ98
AG
How do you engineer and build something and then not understand how it works, and how it may not work properly given a specific set of results? Are these things that overly-engineered and unnecessarily complex?
BrazosDog02
AG
Well, when something goes wrong, the dtc codes are sometimes an integral part of diagnosis...which is why they are there in the first place. Sometimes electronics stop working...and then start working again.

Unless you remove them. But...that information is stored too. Even a cheap code reader should say WHEN the cdes were cleared. That's why you can't pass inspection if you just clear codes. Not enough drive cycles.

I'd be hard pressed not to get my keys and go "look for something I left under the seat"

If they cleared the codes after having a service writer indicate that severe of a malfunction I would think that's pretty much a lawsuit waiting to happen from the wrong person. Or an accident. Or any number of things that are bad. And they did clear the codes if you saw the wrench.

That dealer is a hack and someone really high up needs to know.
GarlandAg2012
AG
The service techs didn't engineer it. No one person engineered it either. A modern truck is a super complex vehicle and there are multiple potential failure points. I hope Ford can resolve it - sounds like something shady if they're saying theres no code and OP got a CEL.
BigRobSA
MouthBQ98 said:

How do you engineer and build something and then not understand how it works, and how it may not work properly given a specific set of results? Are these things that overly-engineered and unnecessarily complex?

Yes.

But that's how you're seeing stock 4 bangers with 350+ hp off the showroom floor.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
BigPuma
AG
the 6.7L guys all love forscan.
Silvy
AG
Is that what the kids call foreskin these days?
JB
AG
Very curious. Really seems like an issue with the rearend/locker and the CEL/wrench was just a result of the drastic change in speed/transmission freaking out??
WestTxWood88
AG
Update: Service manager called today to say he has elevated the issue with "corporate", I asked him to pass along to "corporate" that I need one of two outcomes (1) a fully repaired truck, or (2) a letter from corporate certifying that it is safe to drive in its current state. (That should get their attention) Local guy seems to be efforting in the right direction, we'll see what "corporate" does.
BrazosDog02
AG
AND #3: A GD rental vehicle while the 75k truck you bought sits at their dealership while they sit on their ass.
TopFlightReject
At a minimum you need both of those items, minus the "in its current state". IMO
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Sorry Ive been MIA guys, I've been training for a new job and its been lots of time in the workshop and not much time at a PC.

I dont think you have an engine issue, because if it died, I'd expect the rear wheels to move freely.

Theres something going on with the trans/diff. Did they check wiring for the trans and or E Locker?

A wrench light would have thrown a code for sure.

Theres nothing at all showing as stored codes?
WestTxWood88
AG
Thanks 1Ags, shop man said there were no codes. They fired it up, drove it around for several days attempting to recreate it - said it ran fine. Then "put it on the rack" and "didn't see anything mechanical". They checked the simple stuff - recalls, service bulletins & found nothing. Called after two weeks to say, and I quote, "we've thrown in the towel, come pick your truck up". That's when I asked for the Service Manager and you know the rest. Thanks for any advice...
Canyon99
How can there be no stored codes if you saw the wrench? Isn't that impossible?
BrazosDog02
AG
Yes. It is. It always throws a code. You may not see it with your scanner depending on what you have but an obd mx link and forscan will sure a **** see it. Maybe the dealer should get better equipment.

Mine will find the error code for my side mirrors that the horizontal calibration is out of adjustment. How ****ing useless is that? It'll find your code...Unless they cleared it and it doesn't come back.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Canyon99 said:

How can there be no stored codes if you saw the wrench? Isn't that impossible?
This.
ag09
AG
fyi, the torque app for android will permanently erase all codes, even historical ones, indicating no faults.

it also shows those if they haven't been permanently cleared.

if i were you, i'd get torque if you have android and a cheap bluetooth obd adapter to check the historicals.
03_Aggie
Is there a chance they were trying to say there were no codes related to something that would cause the rear-end to lock up? First post seemed to indicate that they did pull codes. Wondering if there's a chance there were codes and the checked the associated items and everything seemed to be in order?
CanyonAg77
AG
ag09 said:

fyi, the torque app for android will permanently erase all codes, even historical ones, indicating no faults.

it also shows those if they haven't been permanently cleared.

if i were you, i'd get torque if you have android and a cheap bluetooth obd adapter to check the historicals.

Torque doesn't erase unless you command it to.
WestTxWood88
AG
Update: Ford House called last night and left a message. Their engineer says the problem is this: There is an intermittent short in the bulkhead connector wiring harness going to the the transmission control module, on the third leg. Meaning when they wiggled the harness on the shop floor, solenoid one and two were powered, and power was removed from solenoid three. Apparently this combination causes the reverse clutch to be engaged. Which creates the symptoms my truck had.
JB
AG
I think I'd want the warranty extended on my transmission that just got thrown into reverse at highway speed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.