'88 YJ starting issue....

1,900 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by will.mcg
Reel Aggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok...having a bit of an issue with a '88 yj, 4.2l. Past year, starts no prob. Last couple of times I drove it, when I shut off the engine, it wouldn't start again, starter would just turn over and over. It'd smell like I flooded it, would let it sit 5-6 min, then bam it would start and not miss a beat. Today was the first time in a couple weeks I've tried to start it and same thing. This time, didn't start the first time, just started cranked on and on. Poured a bit of gas in carb, nada. Last ditch effort, I park on a sloped drive so I coasted down the drive and popped the clutch to start, and it started right up and ran great. What would the mechanism be for starting when popping clutch, but not when turning over with starter. Starter is engaging because fan is turning. Puzzling to me. Thanks in advance.

TLDR; jeep won't crank with starter, starts right up popping clutch.

One of inside sans seats while waiting for bedliner to dry

Frisco
AG
Cap and rotor? Or maybe plugs not gapped right? Just a wild ass guess. Sounds like fuel/air isn't the issue but spark. Gotta be one of those three. Let us know what you find out.
AG
Sounds like the ignition module is not getting 12v when the ignition switch is in the start position

There's a doorbell stuck on the side of the column, Id hate to see what else has been done to the wiring on that jeep.
Reel Aggies
AG
Haha that's my horn. The wiring is bare bones. Nothing unnecessary left.
jswags
AG
Did you spray on or roll the bed liner? I can't decide what to do with my '84 CJ.
Frisco
AG
i rolled my 89. Not knowing how the spraying would have done....I'd look at spraying. It was a pain to get in a lot of the spots.
txyaloo
AG
jswags said:

Did you spray on or roll the bed liner? I can't decide what to do with my '84 CJ.
I sprayed Raptor Liner on my Bronco. It was super simple.

Reel Aggies
AG
Rolled/dabbed on Herculiner. Very easy to do.
jswags
AG
Thanks for the info. I might pony up for the spray.
will.mcg
AG
So did you get it started? I was having the same sort of issue. Coil was getting too hot due to the resistor being old as balls & not functioning. Cool was too hot to send out a spark.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.