Wife wants a BMW SUV

10,311 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Diet Cokehead
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The land rover is a vehicle i really want to like, but a reliability rating of 2.5/5 or worse in 8 of the last 9 years. Basically at the very bottom of problems per 100 vehicles. We just had some good friends just dump theirs after 4-5 years of nonstop problems, with the last 2 including several very expensive problems.
Diet Cokehead
AG
My wife wants a Range Rover badly and I constantly have to hammer the point of how poor their reliability ratings are. I do wish they would improve, but they are consistently bottom of the barrel.
The Fife
Diet Cokehead said:

Somebody that wants a bimmer isn't going to want to drive a minivan.

To be fair their SUVs are the same as a minivan but with different doors.
Diet Cokehead
AG
The Fife said:

Diet Cokehead said:

Sounds like you have never driven one. Driving an X5 and Minivan are nothing alike whatsoever.
The Fife
Diet Cokehead said:

The Fife said:

Diet Cokehead said:

Sounds like you have never driven one. Driving an X5 and Minivan are nothing alike whatsoever.
Wrong. Too much body roll IMO, but you can only do so much to try and work around having a higher center of gravity. Granted it wasn't as bad as the other crossover/small SUVs I've run around in but it's not exactly engaging compared to their other offerings.
Diet Cokehead
AG
The Fife said:

Diet Cokehead said:

The Fife said:

Diet Cokehead said:

Wrong. Too much body roll IMO, but you can only do so much to try and work around having a higher center of gravity. Granted it wasn't as bad as the other crossover/small SUVs I've run around in but it's not exactly engaging compared to their other offerings.
Well, it is an SUV. It still doesn't drive anything like a minivan whatsoever.
jabberwalkie09
AG
The Fife said:

Diet Cokehead said:

The Fife said:

Diet Cokehead said:

That's an X5 with the LMR V12 in it iirc. So BMW made a one off and made it work.

http://jalopnik.com/remember-when-bmw-put-a-le-mans-racing-v12-in-an-x5-1786669789
TXTransplant
I'm probably going to jinx/curse myself for saying this, but I have a 2012 X3 with just over 78k miles that has been no more trouble than any other car I've ever owned. And I love it (I'm also a single mom and have zero patience once a car starts giving me problems).

In high school/college, I drove an '89 and then a '94 Nissan 240SX. Super fun cars, but both had numerous engine and electrical problems. Oh, and the '89 had the entire transmission replaced probably within the first two years of my mom buying it (the shaft broke in half, or something like that).

After the second 240, I got an '01 Honda Accord coupe. After about six years, it became clear it was going to need a major transmission overhaul (at less than 100k miles), plus I had a three year old, so I traded it in for an '07 CRV. The CRV didn't give me much trouble, other than the cruise control went out (which was a $400 or so repair). I traded it in for the X3.

To date on the X3, outside of oil changes, new tires, and a rear brake job (which was covered under warranty), I've had an appearing/disappearing coolant leak (that seems to have been fixed by replacing the tank), and just this weekend I took it in for what I thought was going to be another break job only to find out one of the sensors was broken. The coolant leak was not cheap to repair (I think that was around $500), but the sensor replacement was only about $150.

The biggest disadvantage to the X3 has been the depreciation. I traded my CRV at about the same point in mileage and age that the X3 is right now (5 years and <80k miles). I got almost 1/2 of what I paid paid for the CRV when I traded it in. Not only is the X3 not worth even close to 1/2 of what I paid for it, I don't even think I'd get as much for the X3 as what I got for the CRV. Thankfully, I love my X3 and have no clue what I want next, so I plan to drive it as long as possible (which might be two more weeks, now that I've made this post).
TommyGun
AG
My wife drove her 2003 325i for 180k miles. It had the well documented oil leak starting around 100k miles, so that was a little annoying, but it ran great and we didn't run into any major maintenance until the transmission started to give out at around 178k miles. We spent $3k on a re-built transmission install and sold the car a week later for around $5k. I wouldn't have any issues buying another one.
Ciboag96
It's been over 2 weeks since OPs last post on this thread.

-Did he buy the car but have to forgo his Texags sub to pinch Deutschmarks and is thusly ashamed to show?
-Did he tell his wifey hell to the naw and get torched?
-Or did he buy the car and then get inundated with so much sweet lovin that he's now recuperating at a sanitorium by the sea?

I posit number 3.
KRamp90
AG
Haven't bought one, haven't convinced her she does not need one, and no sexy time. Going to
get the FJ cleaned up in preparation. If/ when it happens I'll rule #1. Thanks for all the advice, and I will probably need more soon.
aTm2004
AG
KRamp90 said:

Haven't bought one, haven't convinced her she does not need one, and no sexy time. Going to
get the FJ cleaned up in preparation. If/ when it happens I'll rule #1. Thanks for all the advice, and I will probably need more soon.

The car or the wife?
KRamp90
AG
Car. If I posted a pic of her, I'd lose what little anonymity I have,
Post removed:
by user
sts7049
dubi
AG
KRamp90 said:

Car. If I posted a pic of her, I'd lose what little anonymity I have,
I gave up on that a long time ago.

One day I walked in my building on campus and this guy walked up and said "are you dubi on Texags"?
KRamp90
AG
Exactly! She does not post, so don't want to out her. But if/when I buy a vehicle I will post pics. And no, she is not famous, but easy for the Texags folks to find her...
bevokilla
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Gx460
Sweet talk the dealer on a Friday and have them let you take one for the weekend. She'll buy it Monday

2nd this
The Wonderer
AG
KRamp90 said:

Exactly! She does not post, so don't want to out her. But if/when I buy a vehicle I will post pics. And no, she is not famous, but easy for the Texags folks to find her...
Liiiiiiiike, how?
dubi
AG
The Wonderer said:

KRamp90 said:

Liiiiiiiike, how?
She has her name tattooed on her face! Geez!

Post removed:
by user
Maximus_Meridius
AG
They don't make BMW's that big...
The Wonderer
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

They don't make BMW's that big...

Ahem..
hatchback
AG
In photoshop world they do.
Bibendum 86
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

My wife wants a Range Rover badly and I constantly have to hammer the point of how poor their reliability ratings are. I do wish they would improve, but they are consistently bottom of the barrel.
Safest vehicle on the road for mitigating frontal impact -- because it's always behind a wrecker
Diet Cokehead
AG
Untimed Down said:

Diet Cokehead said:

Safest vehicle on the road for mitigating frontal impact -- because it's always behind a wrecker

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.