Wife wants a BMW SUV

10,294 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Diet Cokehead
KRamp90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All knowing auto board, what's the best way to attempt this? Lease? Lease return? Carmax? I don't have the skrilla for new, nor would I pay it. Happy wife, happy life, or misery. All replies are welcome, sarcasm or not.
MouthBQ98
AG
Has she actually test driven one? Is she aware of the financial implications of BMW maintenance out of warranty?
Aero95
AG
Off-lease CPO (extends warranty) would be my first choice, but it will be the most expensive used option versus private party, random used car dealer, or Carmax. Any idea which model, year, and engine?

I really want an X5 diesel to replace my wife's explorer sometime in the next year or two...
Wife is an Aggie
You must have a big kitchen if your wife needs a BMW to get around it....
easttexasaggie04
AG
My dad has had three X5's and my mom is on her first X3. They both LOVE them.

How to pay? I dunno. I can't afford one.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'd recommend going the CPO route first, then probably the carmax route and see if you can get the warranty through them for coverage. I'd probably try to avoid going private party unless you know the person you're buying from and know the car's extensive history and are comfortable with the service that's been done. Especially the turbo motors which if you're considering I'd make sure it's a six cylinder model.

I haven't driven an x1, but I do like the x3 and x5 models quite a bit.
KRamp90
AG
Thanks all! After talking to her, it's really more about a luxury SUV. She likes the German ones, and is tired of getting beat up in her FJ.
txyaloo
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

I'd recommend going the CPO route first, then probably the carmax route and see if you can get the warranty through them for coverage. I'd probably try to avoid going private party unless you know the person you're buying from and know the car's extensive history and are comfortable with the service that's been done. Especially the turbo motors which if you're considering I'd make sure it's a six cylinder model.

Agree with this.

Most BMWs suck for maintenance out of warranty. CPO or CarMax is the way to go and dump the car at 100k. Once you hit 100k lots of things will start falling apart and need replacing (cooling system, valve cover gaskets, known engine defects, etc)

They're great cars while under warranty.
Corps_Ag12
AG
KRamp90 said:

Thanks all! After talking to her, it's really more about a luxury SUV. She likes the German maintenance nightmare ones, and is tired of getting beat up in her FJ.

FIFY
jabberwalkie09
AG
txyaloo said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Agree with this.

Most BMWs suck for maintenance out of warranty. CPO or CarMax is the way to go and dump the car at 100k. Once you hit 100k lots of things will start falling apart and need replacing (cooling system, valve cover gaskets, known engine defects, etc)

They're great cars while under warranty.

Replacing the coolant system hoses at about 70-100k miles is pretty common from what I can tell. Of course, it all depends on what you're able to do versus willing to pay someone to do the same work. I can't think of any BMW between me or my parents have had where the a/c hadn't had some kind of issue from blower motors failing to a compressor leak, but even the couple of Fords I've had in the last five years have let me down in regards to a/c as well.

Generally, the major things I look for when looking at used BMW's private party is body if it's straight and if the paint is good, bushings (varies by model and chassis), and if there's any indication of a fluid leak. Really, getting up under the car on a lift helps quite a bit. One of the biggest leaks I look for is a head gasket leak. Also depending on model and mileage, the valve train might need work. Some of that can be regular maintenance though, like the s52 and s54 engines in M3's had lifter adjustment as part of their regular service intervals IIRC.
KRamp90
AG
Ugh. I wish I could talk her into a Lexus...
DannyDuberstein
AG
I've just never been able to wrap my head around the concept of a piece-of-**** luxury car.
jabberwalkie09
AG
KRamp90 said:

Ugh. I wish I could talk her into a Lexus...

I'd try to at least get her to try an RX. Maybe even a Mercedes GLE or comparable SUV in their line up (the M/ML class was renamed to GLE within the last couple of years). Just to get a comparison between the three.
gig em 02
Have her get in a platinum explorer or Acadia Denali, surely those are better for the money
14TheRoad
AG
Not a BMW but How about a Volvo XC60 or 90, take her to look at them. They are really nice and reliable.
AgCPA95
AG
KRamp90 said:

Thanks all! After talking to her, it's really more about a luxury SUV. She likes the German ones, and is tired of getting beat up in her FJ.
Most anything will ride smoother than that FJ - which is great in its own right, but not smooth or luxury. You could even go top end Hyundai and she might like it. Go to Carmax for looking as you can see everything in one place.
AgEng06
AG
What about the Audi Q5? Do they have the same maintenance problems/costs as the BMW?
AgCPA95
AG
AgEng06 said:

What about the Audi Q5? Do they have the same maintenance problems/costs as the BMW?

I would say yes...and this is coming from an Audi fan and someone on their 3rd Audi. The German 3 are all generally going to be more expensive due to over-engineering simple stuff that costs more to repair. You have to want that ride, performance and over-engineering!
KRamp90
AG
Y'all are awesome! Would prefer she wanted a 3/4 ton truck but, no. She is reaching an birthday that requires me to make her happy, happy. Within reason...
aTm2004
AG
Porsche Macan GTS
moore42
AG
KRamp90 said:

Y'all are awesome! Would prefer she wanted a 3/4 ton truck but, no. She is reaching an birthday that requires me to make her happy, happy. Within reason...
I'm pretty sure vibrators are maintenance friendly, and cheaper than a BMW SUV...
KRamp90
AG
Although I am aware of this device, I have never had the need to use one. I am of the opinion that what goes on in your bedroom, stays in your bedroom. You and your boyfriend can do what you want. Let's stick to the cars..
moore42
AG
KRamp90 said:

Although I am aware of this device, I have never had the need to use one. I am of the opinion that what goes on in your bedroom, stays in your bedroom. You and your boyfriend can do what you want. Let's stick to the cars..
LOL. sorry, old man. You had already received serious responses, why not add some humor. I apologize for my immature behavior.
91AggieLawyer
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I've just never been able to wrap my head around the concept of a piece-of-**** luxury car.

Wow. Danny and I agree to the letter!
KRamp90
AG
No harm, no foul. Just don't want the GYN creeping in. More importantly, any advice? And yes I do turn 50 this year... fml
aTm2004
AG
Advice? Tell her they're and expensive POS and she should go with a Lexus or Acura.
KRamp90
AG
That's what I'm going to do and hope for the best. Is there a Lexus contact on the board?
TRIDENT
AG
Porsche Cayenne
KY AG
AG
Wallet wants a new wife.
MouthBQ98
AG
Great vehicles. Just don't break them.
KRamp90
AG
Well, I like her and all, and we have been married 26 years, and together for 32, but I like your thought process.
Aggie GIGolo
AG
Guess we know who wears the pants. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it, period.

Check out the new 2018 Honda CRV. Extremely reliable, has gotten great reviews.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Gx460
Sweet talk the dealer on a Friday and have them let you take one for the weekend. She'll buy it Monday
beachfront71
AG
Quote:

Ugh. I wish I could talk her into a Lexus

Used to love them, now they are some of the ugliest cars on the road...IMO

KRamp90
AG
Purchase is not a problem. I don't want to have to go to the dealership more than necessary.l
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.