Honda 2.4 Piston Rings Oil Consumption

529 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dill-Ag13
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-extends-accord-crv-warranty-over-fouled-piston-rings-88528.html

Figured out after I changed the oil this weekend I may have a problem. Oil+Filter requires ~4.4 qts. of oil. I was only able to drain bout 2.5 qts. Car has no oil leaks that I can see (nothing on ground). Last oil change was ~5-6 months and 6,000 miles ago.

Called dealer; extended warranty is 8-years or 125k miles. I'm 2-months out of extended warranty.

But before they can agree that I have an issue, I need to pay them to do an oil change (honda oil and honda filter) then come back every 1,000 miles for them to test the consumption (no charge for that, just my time). Then, they will go to Honda to see if they can get a good faith coverage (or whatever it's called) since I'm so close to the end of the warranty.

I have only changed the oil on this car ~5-times myself (none recently). All other oil changes were done at the dealer. So there is no way I would know there was a problem since they were the ones changing the oil. IMO that is a sound argument for Honda to cover this since THEY did 90% of the service on the car.

Do I do this, or just check the oil monthly and add as needed. Car only has 119k and I plan to give it to my son in a few years as a college car.
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Having gone through this on my 2012 Impreza that had the same issue, some advice:

agracer said:

I need to pay them to do an oil change (honda oil and honda filter) then come back every 1,000 miles for them to test the consumption (no charge for that, just my time).

Call AHMC (American Honda Motor Co.) and have them comp you that first oil change. They should. It's a test, the dealer won't pay for it but AHMC should.

agracer said:

Do I do this, or just check the oil monthly and add as needed. Car only has 119k and I plan to give it to my son in a few years as a college car.

I would do the test. When the test is complete and the car is level and COLD, check the oil (or just follow what your manual says). If it is over the "full" line then have them correct that. Subaru has a habit of marginally overfilling engines on consumption tests to disprove the consumption (i.e. that extra half quart in the sump would be burned off during the consumption test and the level would be correct at the end of the mileage interval). I would also check the oil level the morning before you drive the car back to the dealer at the end of the 1,000 miles.

From what I understand, dealers don't like high-hour warranty claims as they tend to lose money on them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.