Can't wash my new Tahoe?

6,061 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dubi
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a 2017 Tahoe 3 weeks ago and tried to wash it for the first time yesterday. I noticed instantly that water beaded up on it and it seemed to be covered in RainX (that's the best way I can describe it).

I was not able to wash it, as the soap and water (I use McGuire's) just ran off it...even the windows. Now it looks really streaky...especially the windows.

Any thoughts on this?
The Wonderer
AG
If it's beading, that's good. It's either waxed or treated with a water repelling compound.

It's streaking because it's hot as hell outside. Wash it early in the morning, in the shade, and do it quickly.

Dry immediately with microfiber clothes to reduce streaks and spots. Use a finishing spray when drying if you want.
Quito
AG
It is beading, but also streaking.

Yes, I'm aware of not washing in the heat. I live in KC and it was in the 70's and cloudy yesterday...very nice day.

I've always washed and waxed my own cars and have never seen this.
The Wonderer
AG
Post pics of what it looks like
sts7049
AG
sounds like they had it waxed
Quito
AG

The Wonderer
AG
Damn.

Strip it off and rewax?
Quito
AG
What do you think the issue is? Did they apply a wax incorrectly? Is it too much wax or RainX" type product?

Is there specific care that the dealership was to inform me of? I simply tried to wash it as I've always washed cars...McGuire's soap, soft mitt, soft towel dry. As soon as I wiped the soap/water mitt on teh car, I noticed something was drastically different. Its like the soap/water wouldn't take.
Quito
AG
How do I strip it off? Shouldn't the dealership be responsible?
The Wonderer
AG
That looks pretty bad. I'd have the dealer look at it and ask what happened.
The Wonderer
AG
Quito said:

How do I strip it off? Shouldn't the dealership be responsible?
Dawn dish soap works well, but you have to rewax it quickly.

Dealership responsibility...I don't know to be honest.
Quito
AG
Sent pics to the dealership and I'm taking it in tomorrow.

This is frustrating as it's a new car and I really take care of cars...I traded in a 10 year old ML350 that looked and drove like new.
Ag for Life
AG
Keep in mind that if the dealership has the whirlybird brush car wash it will swirl mark black paint like a mother. They probably applied a sealant of some type and most likely did it wrong if it was dealer applied.

I would wash with Dawn, clay bar it, and then apply a sealant or wax of my choice properly.

Good luck!
txyaloo
AG
Quito said:

This is frustrating as it's a new car and I really take care of cars...I traded in a 10 year old ML350 that looked and drove like new.
Have you tried a waterless wash? I've been using this for a while and have been really happy with it. It's streak/swirl free as long as you use a decent microfiber and the car isn't super hot

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U53JYG/

I know if I try and do a normal wash on any of my cars during this time of year, the water/soap has dried before i even get one side done. I can do a waterless wash in ~10 minutes and the car looks just as good.
Quito
AG
I have not.

The problem isn't the heat. I know exactly what you are referring to. I am not able to clean it at all. Water/soap just runs off.
powerbelly
AG
Quito said:

Not that I doubt you, but I feel like everyone believes this about themselves.
Quito
AG
I agree

But I'm 40, I'm a man! Been washing and waxing cars since I was 10. I wax with every change of season and keep cars in garage. I only use professional grade products and NEVER use a car wash...only my hands wash my cars.
powerbelly
AG
Quito said:

I agree

But I'm 40, I'm a man! Been washing and waxing cars since I was 10. I wax with every change of season and keep cars in garage. I only use professional grade products and NEVER use a car wash...only my hands wash my cars.
I am just jaded from looking at a lot of used cars over the last 5 years.
Quito
AG
Understood. I agree though...there's those that "think they know" and those that "know".

In this case, I know

Which is why I'm so pissed!
sts7049
AG
it looks like some kid just ran a towel of wax or something all over the car.

i'd definitely ask the dealer what's up, and see if you can get a free (proper) detail out of it.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I would wash with Dawn, clay bar it

You don't need to do both. The Clay should take off the wax. I don't recommend dish soap for cars, especially one as harsh as Dawn. Years ago, I used Ivory, but that was pure soap that was ALSO used as dish soap. Theres a Chemical Guys product for a wash to remove wax.

Is the car still dirty after you washed it? If stuff just runs off, thats the wax doing its job. However, it still needs to look good. Ask the dealer what products they used and report back. If all else fails, go ahead and do a quick clay job or use the CG wash. One of those synthetic clays like Mothers Speed Clay might work well for this application.

You could also go the rinseless route as suggested. I recommend the Optimum No Rinse followed by a spray wax like Meguiars Ult. Quik Wax or Optimum Wax. Maybe that will remove the streaking.
Mr. Dubi
Send pics to dealer. My truck came with fine scratches in the paint they did not catch in PDI. They paid to have it wet sanded, polished and waxed.
Buck O Five
AG
Looks like they waxed and let the wax sit too long or waxed in the sun.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Optimum No Rinse is awesome. Use it all the time on my black M5 and it does not swirl.

Honestly, I would not even trust the dealership to redo it for you. They are just going to have some 18 year old kid doing whatever they do and then send it through the auto wash. Ask them if they will reimburse you to have paint correction done or just do it yourself.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Check some forums online for correct ratios but if you get some 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, dilute 3:1 with water, that SHOULD get whatever wax or slick stuff off.

I'm more concerned about the paint marring which almost certainly wasn't caused by a wax or any misuse of a wax. Unless they're just using a really old product that isn't clear coat safe. Todays waxes are all but idiot proof and with the products the dealership is most likely to use, application in the sun shouldn't be a problem.
Quito
AG
**Update**

My wife took it to dealership today and they spent 2 hours detailing it and getting it back to new. I talked to GM (my friend), the salesman, and the detail shop.

- They wash everything by hand...never use a drive through.

- The detailer thinks there was another product put on the car, as he admitted it was very "slick". Thinks it might be the protection package Chevy sells that was applied by the dealership it came from (came from dealership in Texas and I live in KC...we wanted a specific vehicle)

- Truck looks great. The hood and sides are EXTREMELY smooth and "slippery"...more so than any waxed vehicle I've ever touched. The roof feels more like what you would expect a new car to feel like.

The dealership thinks there was something in the soap I used that reacted to the wax that might have been applied to truck. I've used this soap for several years and never had an issue. I don't think it would be a bad lot or that the ratio was off.

At this point, I'll just wait until I have to wash again. I went ahead and bought a new wash bucket, mitt, and soap (RainX brand to change it up a bit).
MrJonMan
AG
I've always been very skeptical of waterless washing products
Quito
AG
I am too. Just can't see me doing that.

I have a buddy from Sri Lanka who thinks it's gross that American's don't use bidets to clean up after a growler. Compares it to washing a car with nothing but dry paper towel.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

The dealership thinks there was something in the soap I used that reacted to the wax

This is BS, but I strongly suggest you go to some detailing forum or Meguiars online and post this comment to see the reaction.

Quito
AG
I agree...been using McGuire's products for almost 30 years now and never had an issue.

The issue here is odd in that the car is too "slippery" to clean. Sounds odd, but it's true. Almost like whatever Chevy Chase put on the saucer while sledding down the hill in Christmas Vacation is on my car.
RK
AG
non-nutritive cereal varnish?
txyaloo
AG
MrJonMan said:

I used to be, but I own 2 black cars and haven't had any issues with marring.
Quito
AG
So just a dry soft cloth and spray the stuff on and wipe...even over dirt?
Absolute
AG
MrJonMan said:

I was too. Until I used the optimum stuff after having my car professionally detailed and having that guy recommend it. Easy to use, works great, can do it in the garage.
Absolute
AG
Don't love the optimum spray clean shine stuff on my black car. Seems to streak badly. Found something called blackfire on Amazon that I like a lot.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.