Silverado Rear Brake Line - Flaring

842 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GrapevineAg
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to replace the right rear wheel cylinder in my 2007 silverado.

Due to my dumbassery I messed up the flaring on the brake line coming in.

I know I can rent a flaring tool and just re flare it, but how do I find out what size the tube/flare should be?

aggie_wes
AG
Check the auto parts store. I bet they have a kit they will rent you With multiple sizes
GrapevineAg
AG
It's all based on the outer diameter of the tubing. Just know that if you're working with stainless steel, the flaring tools you can get at AutoZone and O'Reilly's may not work very well - the stainless just isn't soft enough.
WSCTR
harge57
AG
Would I be better off buying a whole new line? I'm looking for a replacement and all I can find are entire vehicle kits.
GrapevineAg
AG
Not sure how far that line runs. It'd suck to buy a whole kit just for 1 line. I like the "cunifer" lines for my old car - much softer than stainless, thus easier to bend and flare. Bought a roll off amazon and made my own lines.
WSCTR
harge57
AG
I found a guy to do the flaring for $20, took him 3 minutes. Amazing what the right tool in the right hands can do.

Had to take the line off and drive 1 hour each way to meet him hoping to get my truck back and going today. I finished replacing both rear wheel cylinders and shoes today as well as the rear shocks.

Unfortunately the wife and I couldn't finish bleeding the brakes tonight.

If anyone is familiar with brakes and wants to come by lake highlands in Dallas one night this week and give me a hand. You will be handsomely rewarded with miller lite (or craft beer).
GrapevineAg
AG
It's a bit of a hike to Lake Highlands from Grapevine, but if you don't get any other offers, I'll come help you.
WSCTR
harge57
AG
Grapevine, I appreciate the offer.

shoot me an email at caleb.hargesheimer at gmail.com with your contact info.

I am going to give it another shot tonight using the one person bleeding method and if that doesn't do the trick, we can try and coordinate something.
GrapevineAg
AG
Emailed you.
WSCTR
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.