Passenger Vans

1,866 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by clobby
Aggie Rick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to need a van as I will have 6 kidsin car seats.

Options appear to be:
Nissan MV
GMC
Ford transit
Mercedes sprinter

Anyone have experience with these monsters?
drumboy
AG
This guy did it right:

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2705474

I always hear how great the Sprinter is but I have no experience with one.

Man, that's a lot of kids.
Buck O Five
AG
Two sets of triplets?
Buck O Five
AG
One of the last car shows had a bunch you could get in, and we were super impressed with how much you vehicle you got for the money. It made suburbans and escalades look really impractical.
Mookie
AG
I know a couple people with 6-8 kids and both of them have NV vans and like them a lot. One of them has 8 kids on my sons swim team and he still has a ton of room for pop up tents, etc.
CanyonAg77
AG
I was going to tell you that you need a box of condoms worse than a van

But to tell the truth, I admire people with large families. Would have likely done more than two if health and situation would have allowed.

And the NV looks awesome
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Once you make a purchase, you can take the van on down to Dr. Richard Chopp's office. He can help you out.
TxAg20
AG
What are you looking for beyond room for 6 car seats?

Sprinters drive really well, but they're a Mercedes and owning one out of warranty is risky. I've heard good things about the Transit. The GMC Savanna/ Chevy Express seems less preferred than the Ford E-series which is no longer produced in the passenger model. None of these are beauty queens, but I don't think Nissan could have made the NV look worse.

I own an E-Series which is supposed to start it's journey to Oregon this week for interior and a few other mods:

aTm2004
AG
6 in car seats? I have 2 and about want to tear my hair out. Don't know how you do it, but good job.
Aggie Rick
AG
The 2018 Transits are slowly hitting some dealerships. Think we like those over the NV.

Anyone know shops that install TVs/DVD players and USB ports etc? Issue with the passenger vans is that the options, especially entertainment system options, suck.
@Aggie_Rick
Aggie Rick
AG
... in Houston
@Aggie_Rick
Mookie
AG
AFtermaket swag in the tine? Paging 1ags
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I am not sure if the Ford Transit passenger van will town much if that is important. The old e350 vans (2013 or so was the last year) would tow around 6-7k.

I have a friend with the Nissan, and they really like it. Our e350 has also been very good. I also knew someone with a sprinter. They liked it, but it was pricey for maintenance.

What are you looking for other than lots if seats?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
If you get the Nissan, you can convert it to 4x4.
Aggie Rick
AG
Towing isn't a big deal to me.

Was looking at the explorer conversion vans but those things are pretty pricey.
@Aggie_Rick
Aggie Rick
AG
Mookie said:

AFtermaket swag in the tine? Paging 1ags

Paging 1ags...
@Aggie_Rick
RobSawyer
AG
Gulfcoast Conversions in Houston does excellent work on vans. They would be my first stop if you aren't up to do it yourself. You can visit their website at: http://gulfcoastconversions.com/gccsubsite/ford.html

If you want to keep it a bit more simple - large vans are quite easy to work on yourself. I am a novice with just a little background working on boats, etc - but I have installed new stereos, speakers, USB chargers, back-up cameras (among other upfits) on three of my Sprinter vans. I currently have two Sprinter vans. One I keep here in TX which is my daily driver and I have outfitted for surfing and camping. The other is an older Sprinter that I keep in California and is also outfitted for surf expeditions and camping.

Texas Sprinter (2013 Crew Van) - I installed a new double DIN head unit on this van, installed a back-up camera, ran two new speakers to the back doors, installed a sub and amp (small prepowered sub from rockford fosgate to just round out the stereo a bit). I also built a lofted bed in the back, added some lighting, installed a swivel on the front passenger seat and am in the process of finishing the exterior. I have the alumines lightbar and ladder. I will soon have a full top rack from Aluminess too (so I don't just have a ladder to no-where!) I am going to install lights on the light bar that will help out a bit on dark roads. The standard non-HID sprinter lights just don't cut it when you get off the beaten path.

California Sprinter (2006 Passenger Van) - This van was priced great and was low milage (the pre-2007 models have a 5 cyl diesel which can run forever. I took out the two back rows of seats, installed a lofted bed, build a storage system under the bed, installed a new radio head unit, installed all new speakers, installed the same pre-powered sub from rockford fosgate (PS-8 I think...) and then added a few more creature comforts for surfing Southern California or posting up in a camp site in Northern California.

If anyone has questions regarding Sprinters feel free to hit me up. I have had three of them (two of the older T1N models and one of the newer models) and have been very pleased with them.

clobby
AG
I want a sprinter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.