Overhead DVD Replacement

581 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by setsmachine
setsmachine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have very little in the way of handyman or automotive skills/knowledge. Our overhead DVD player in the minivan is dead and I'm looking to replace. I've watched some youtube videos but those are all first-time installations (and more than I'd attempt to do).

Would you think that the replacement job would be fairly simply since the hole is already cut and wiring is up there to the old one? Anything I'm not thinking of?
AG
Are you replacing the oem with an oem? Easy

Oem to aftermarket? Expect problems if it's integrated to the head unit. Audio level outs are inconsistent between manufacturers. It could require a bus communication to enable audio through the speakers. The oem head unit may expect a isolated audio ground and you'd end up with alternator whine with a cheap common gnd player. All those problems can be solved, but you have to either buy solutions from audio shops or have an engineering degree and a ton of free time.

If all youll use is the headphone jack for rear passengers then it's just a matter of hooking up switch 12v and ground.

setsmachine
AG
Aftermarket to aftermarket, so... easy? It was installed by the dealership as an extra freebie to make the sale -- it doesn't have integrated audio, we use the FM transmitter to play through the car speakers or the IR headphones.
AggieBQ95
AG
Should be easy, but are you replacing it with the very same unit? Or a different model. If different, you may notice a difference in where the old one was mounted on the headliner - assuming the new one has a smaller footprint.
setsmachine
AG
Different unit, bigger screen. Yeah, I feel ok with the hardware installation not being quite right one; more concerned about any electric hookups. Old one has overhead lights that function as our central dome light when doors open; new one also has lights so I'm hoping it will be simple.

Thanks for the replies!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.