Thoughts on Civic Si or other recs?

1,515 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by drumboy
HeavyMetalAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello Auto Board!

My wife and I are looking to get a new car at the end of this year. I've been looking pretty hard at the new Civic Si sedan, but wanted to gather some feedback or other recommendations before committing to it. We have about a 60 mile round trip commute that we make together, and would be alternating who drives daily (she prefers to drive her Ford Escape, so the new car may only be driven every other day or so). This will primarily be my car, and I'm looking for something affordable but fun to drive. My wife isn't terribly thrilled about the price (about $25,000), but I don't know how much lower I would be able to get while still having some good performance. About the only feature I'm really stuck on is a premium sound system, which is included in the Civic Si (I've put my own stereo system in nearly every car I've had since high school, and would rather not mess with it this go around). I initially told myself I would be staying with automatic transmissions because of the commute, but a lot of construction should be completed soon between home and work to cut down on the stop and go stuff we go through now.

We typically keep our cars for as long as they'll last, and have no problem going 10 years before replacing if the car will last that long. If my older kiddo can take on the car in 8 or so years when he's old enough to drive, all the better. On that note, I've also looked a bit at the a Mitusibishi Lancer with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. The first car I bought myself out of college was a Lancer, so there's a little bit of a nostalgia factor on that one. Because we'll typically be spreading out the depreciation over such a long period, I'm still not particularly sold on going new or finding something a year or two used.

So what say you, Auto Board? Is the Civic Si worth such an in depth look, or is there something else I should be looking at? I know there are some comparable hatch backs out there, but I'm partial to the sedan myself.
Ronnie
AG
I really like the Mazda 3, or a CX-5.
Silvy
AG
WS6
LPHA
AG
GTI is the answer.
MouthBQ98
AG
V-tec kicked in, yo!
sts7049
AG
i think this might be an auto board first... someone admitting they are considering a Lancer
EskimoJoe
I did about the same commute in a Mazda 3 (2013) and it was a good vehicle for a lot less than the Civic. the Mazda didn't have a timing belt that had to be replaced every 60k miles either.
hatchback
AG
LPHA said:

GTI is the answer.

Yep.

The Civic Si is one of the ugliest cars on sale today. Go with the GTI.
dlp3719
AG
Golf R?
TRIDENT
AG
Corvette
HeavyMetalAg
AG
Thanks for the responses so far! The Mazda3 is also on my short list, so I'll take a better look at those. I've been told that the 2.5L engine in the higher trim is pretty nice.

I thought about the Golf GTI, but am just not a huge fan of the looks. My wife is less of a fan than I am, and I'd like to get something she would like to drive on occassion.

As for silvy's WS6 suggestion, I'm planning for some good ole American muscle later down the road. I'm hoping to do a resto-mod on a '67 Camaro some day. My Dad built one with my older brother when I was too young to know how bad ass that car was. He passed away a few years ago before we could ever work on a project together, so it will be a bit of a tribute project!

And by the way, I loved the Lancer I had after college! Wasn't much to look at, and didn't blow any doors off, but it sure got the job done!
TRIDENT
AG
Or Corolla
vansprinkle
AG
Civic Sport wagon/hatch? I like the way they look and are a little cheaper than the Si.

Do the new Civics have timing belts? I thought they had moved to chains on all their new engines?

And I'd look at GTIs as well. Maybe a WRX?
TSJ
AG
Under 30k and new, I don't know any better bang for the buck than a Wrx. Since you nixed the gti, the focus st could be another option.
Goat Man
AG
I'm a Honda fanboy so my vote is for the... GTI. But really if your better half can't stand the way it looks the Civic Si looks to be a nice balance. I'm still waiting on an official road test though. Honda is not letting anyone release test data just yet.

The apparent advantage it has over the competition in regards to gas mileage is a plus, but my guess is it will be slower than the WRX or GTI. If it traps 95-96 mph in the quarter that is plenty fast, especially if it gets 35 mpg on the highway.
drumboy
AG
TSJ said:

Under 30k and new, I don't know any better bang for the buck than a Wrx. Since you nixed the gti, the focus st could be another option.

Yeah I'd go with the WRX. I went from an Si to a WRX wagon (with an A4 in the middle) and fun factor difference is night and day. WRX had no problem up to 175k when I sold it and the Si got jacked at 160k so that's about a wash.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.