Ford chooses China, not mexico.... Is that better?

1,484 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigPuma
SteveA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/business/ford-focus-china-production.html

Ford decides not to invest in Mexico..... So they pick China instead. I guess the child labor is easier to fit in the tight spaces of the Focus.

Goose
AG
My hunch would be that its because long-term they expect to sell a lot more of them right there in China and the surrounding countries than they would have in Mexico and in North/South America. Totally a guess though.
SteveA
AG
I imagine that you are correct, but the article said that they will be exporting some of those from China to the US.
03_Aggie
Quote:

One industry analyst said Tuesday that automakers in general were looking to build popular S.U.V. models in the United States and concentrate production of slow-selling, less profitable passenger cars in lower-cost nations.
KY AG
AG
The low-end car segment is cutthroat right now, with virtually no margin in spite of reasonable sales.

Toyota is building the Corolla in Mississippi, and completely revamped their pay-scale so they could pay the MS employees "local-competitive" wages (read: cheaper) rather than using a nationwide pay-scale. They are also using a boatload of "temporary" employees (read: even cheaper) rather than team members.

Honda moved the FIT production to China (or Mexico, I can't remember).

GM is now making the Chevy Cruze in Madagascar with underpaid giraffe labor. This is completely fabricated, but knowing GM it may actually be true.

So, in our post-NAFTA, emerging China world, this is not that big of a surprise albeit extremely disappointing.
KY AG
AG
I will also say, don't view that post above as supporting this decision.

Ford is in bad shape right now (look at their stock price over the past 5 years) and has been making really stupid decisions ever since Mulally left - this is just another one. All the momentum he brought was completely destroyed in less than 12 months of the Mark Fields era.

91AggieLawyer
AG
They just need to discontinue the US sales of this car and no one would care where it was made.

Do we really need the low end here? Or, better put, this many low end models?
EMY92
AG
Part of the reason that the economy models are so cut throat in the US is because the manufacturer has to sell them to get their average MPG up enough to meet the CAFE standards. The margin is in the bigger vehicles (trucks & SUVs).

If Ford stopped selling the small cars here, the Feds wouldn't let them sell the F150s.
SteveA
AG
How does Jeep skirt that MPG regulation?
Goose
AG
SteveA said:

How does Jeep skirt that MPG regulation?
They don't skirt it. But they manage to stay in compliance by not selling a full size truck or SUV that drags down their average.
The Wonderer
AG
So, in the end, the only loser here is Mexico. Ford will never (well, never say never) shutdown that Kentucky plant as it has produced Ford trucks and SUVs (and a lot of those buyers prefer 'Murica first type consumables) for decades and the Michigan plant gets the new Ranger to take the place of the outgoing Focus. A US job was never in jeopardy during any of this.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Part of the hybrid motors are made in Houston. In a free trade zone. I assume it is for moving to Mexico so they don't have to pay taxes on it.

Moving to China is just like the other manufacturers.

~egon
BrazosDog02
AG
EMY92 said:

Part of the reason that the economy models are so cut throat in the US is because the manufacturer has to sell them to get their average MPG up enough to meet the CAFE standards. The margin is in the bigger vehicles (trucks & SUVs).

If Ford stopped selling the small cars here, the Feds wouldn't let them sell the F150s.

This the stupidest thING I've ever heard.

That sucks. Oh well, 'Murka, right?
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Wrong thread
BigPuma
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

EMY92 said:

This the stupidest thING I've ever heard.

That sucks. Oh well, 'Murka, right?
It may be stupid, But it isn't inaccurate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.