F250 diesel or gasoline? (2015/2016)

2,524 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jules_Winnfield
Jules_Winnfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello I'm looking to buy a preowned 2015 to 2016 F250 for a landscape comapnu that I have. I will be pulling a 20' x 6' double axle trailer with to 2-36" walk behinds and 2 zero radius mowed 52" deck along with miscellaneous other tools on the trailer

My question is should I go with the diesel or with a gasoline engine ?

wunderbrad01
AG
I'd suggest a gas for that application for sure unless you just plain want a diesel. The V8 has plenty of power for that application and the fuel savings of a diesel will be small.

Additionally, I don't know the current situation of new vs used in these trucks, but I'd highly suggest getting a drive out price, not sticker price, on whatever you want in a new one. I'll bet the difference is little in that age range. 1ags has a hookup.
Jules_Winnfield
I found a 2016 F2 50 lariat at planet ford four $48,000 with 35,000 miles and it's diesel

I found a 2015 F2 50 lariat gasoline at Carmax with 27,500 miles for $39,000
Frisco
AG
Bought my new 16 lariat 6.7 at planet Ford for 52250. Had a great experience there
CATAGBQ04
AG
Gasser, no tier 4 final crap that you have to worry about multiple drivers screwing up.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Gas if you're not the driver. I don't think I'd trust any of my crews with the maintenance schedule of modern diesels.
JSKolache
AG
Wow, you win the diesel. First poster in a long while to ask this question that actually needs to haul every single day. Do it.
FIDO*98*
AG
I have a 2015 with the PowerStroke. I love it, but, for your application I'd agree with those that suggested gas.

Why are you looking at Lariats for a work truck? You can save a ton more with the XLT
EskimoJoe
Definitely gas. Our 6.7s have been horrible. We (company) no longer buy them even though the president of the company is a ford guy. Its nothing but gassers until ford can figure out how to build a diesel engine or we will switch back to dodge if we have an application where we just have to have a diesel.
Jules_Winnfield
The reason that I would be buying a lariat is because that would be the vehicle I would be operating, I would be hauling the 20 foot trailer 3 to 4 days a week The rest of the time I would be driving around to different project to see how they are going

If I end up going with the gasoline F2 50 then I would probably buy it at Carmax

What is your experience with Carmax and the quality vehicles if they sell
Corps_Ag12
AG
In that case, I'd spring for the diesel.

And as stated up top, check new prices. Especially for a company car, that's something you can write off on your taxes.* You need to email 1ags for his Ford contact to get the 1ags price.

*Not a CPA & this is not financial advice.
Jules_Winnfield
I love and appreciate the advice I receive on this board and I take seriously but I have a hard time thinking that all 6.7 are having issues .

I'm leaning towards diesel
FIDO*98*
AG
Jules_Winnfield said:

What is your experience with Carmax and the quality vehicles if they sell

Back in October '15 I went to Carmax to look at a 2015 Lariat Ultimate. Two days later I drove off the lot at Covert Ford with a brand new identical truck for less than Carmax was asking for the used one.

Back up about ten years and rinse and repeat the same story with my Chevy Avalanche
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Jules_Winnfield said:

I love you advice I received on this board I take seriously but I have a hard time thinking that all 6.7 are having issues .

I'm leaning towards diesel

They're not... know several people with 150k - 200k+ with zero issues less the DEF valve seizing.
BigPuma
AG
I have the 6.7. You just HAVE to make sure you do the required maintenance. IF that is going to be a problem, get a gasser.

There are several oilfield companies going to gassers because it is cheaper to drop a motor in one of those than to fix the egr issues that may crop up with a lack of good maintenance schedule.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Yup, most company trucks aren't taken care of like a personal vehicle is.

When I was officing out of our yard between projects, it was amazing how rough the trucks were that came back to be swapped out when the leases were up.
CATAGBQ04
AG
FWIW my largest pipeline customer just dumped all his diesel light duty trucks and switched to gas...the savings was crazy.

But we're talking idling all the time and multiple drivers that don't give a F...two things that tier 4 final engines do not like.

But you're in a different boat, honestly could go either way.

I have a '16 F250 gasser I put lots of miles on for work and tow occasionally, awesome truck that's cheap to maintain...just burns lots of gas.

Diesel will hold its value waaaay better it that's what tickles your pickle...gas will do the job with less initial cost and cheaper to maintain, but will not hold value.
Jules_Winnfield
Ended up going with a 2016 f250 lariat with 15,000 miles for $42,000.

I'm picking up on Monday
TX_AG_10
AG
So..... Diesel or Gas?
Frisco
AG
for that price gotta be gas
Jules_Winnfield
Yea, sorry, I ended up going with gasoline. I was leaning towards a diesel but at that price it was hard to not go with the gasoline F2 50 especially since the towing is comparable

I appreciate all the input and feedback
Jules_Winnfield
You guys gave me some good advice on my previous truck which was a 2012 F1 50 lariat which I currently have and is going strong at 90,000 miles .

No issues with truck
Jules_Winnfield
wanted to share some pictures of the new (to me ) truck i bought.... again thanks for the advice

Im going to start another thread about an F150 maintenance

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.