A new map update is available for your 2013 Expedition for $149

2,206 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mrad85
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOL.

What? Do they actually make money off of this? Do people really pay to upgrade the maps in their car?

I have carefully considered paying for it, but since I get Google Maps FREE on my phone...and Waze...and any myriad of other updated apps, you know, for FREE...I gotta pass.

I can't believe in 2017 that we have things like "paying for map upgrades" and "limited internet".

WTF.

I also suspect that with a little torrent hopping and research with Forscan this too could be free.
johnrth
You can find the cards cheaper on eBay, like half off. I havent bought one but have been tempted to before.
robertcope
This is why I don't want a car with built in navigation. The whole concept seems really stupid to me.
MouthBQ98
AG
Your cell phone makes all that tech obsolete in 2 years.
Diggity
AG
Android Auto and Apple Carplay should help eliminate this absurdity. Depends on the adoption rate though.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I wish waze was CarPlay/android auto compatible
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
You could also torrent the maps, but I'd never condone doing that....
Agmechanic
AG
I honestly dont know why ford has dumped money into in car screens and apps and ***** Make basic functionality available with knobs and buttons and then design a slick app for your phone that integrates all car related stuff. Could bluetooth to the car to get telemetry, play music, stream tv/video, etc. let the phones do the heavy lifting and build in some kind of hands free mount at eye level.
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
hatchback
AG
Agmechanic said:

I honestly dont know why ford has dumped money into in car screens and apps and ***** Make basic functionality available with knobs and buttons and then design a slick app for your phone that integrates all car related stuff. Could bluetooth to the car to get telemetry, play music, stream tv/video, etc. let the phones do the heavy lifting and build in some kind of hands free mount at eye level.
It's not just Ford, every single automaker out there thinks they know how to design this kind of UX. And I hate it.
bam02
AG
Agmechanic said:

This is the right idea. I really don't like all the touch screen interface in our vehicles. They're buggy and I know the lack of updates will eventually make that even worse.
PFG
AG
Apple Car Play FTW.

I make sure and tell as many people as possible...do NOT buy Ford's Nav. Make sure the trim level you are buying will support Car Play, and you'll have free nav for the life of your car/truck.
Diggity
AG
It's in beta now
The Fife
Diggity said:

It's in beta now
Beat me to it.

edit: the maps in my brother's Acura are the ones it came with in 2006. It's stuck on nostalgia mode I guess.
TexasRebel
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

I wish waze was CarPlay/android auto compatible

Soon...
mrad85
AG
I'm in the same boat with the Toyota entune navigation maps in my 2014. I keep waiting till some code nerd figures out a way to get this done on the cheap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.