I feel like I'm getting screwed here - warranty from Jeep - am I right?

2,263 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JSKolache
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long post, sorry. I'm hoping some of our posters here might be able to help me out with this:

Bought 2008 Wrangler Unlimited from Spring Chrysler (Spring, TX) with Lifetime Powertrain Warranty (promotion at the time).

Kept up with service plan as described in warranty paperwork that came with vehicle. No way to check on status of warranty is ever given to consumer - you have to call to find this out.

Noticed transmission problems in early 2013 and took it in to dealership to diagnose. They replaced a clogged transmission filter and serviced the transmission. (RO 17286)

Same transmission vibrations reoccur in mid 2014 so we take it back in to have it diagnosed and repaired under warranty. Dealership says it can do the warranty repairs but first need to have transmission service and inspection done to keep warranty valid. We gladly pay for the service and inspection and the dealership replaces a faulty torque converter in our transmission. No charge for repairs or parts because of active warranty. (RO 68750)

*** EXCEPT the dealership actually didn't do the work under warranty (they just paid for it themselves) OR perform the needed transmission inspection and service needed to keep our warranty valid. ***

Fast-forward to two weeks ago when our Jeep breaks down with apparent transmission problems as we're traveling through Arkansas on a family vacation. We have it towed to a local dealership (Superior Dodge in Conway, AR) where they diagnose a full failure of the intermediate shaft which led to extensive damage throughout the transmission. No problem - we're under warranty through Jeep! Except when the dealer checked out status, they learned that it was invalidated due to that missing transmission inspection and service we thought we had in Spring. Expected cost of transmission rebuild: ~$3700 out of pocket.

Jeep customer service representatives (to whom I've talked to 10 times in the past two weeks) maintain that without the transmission inspection and service certificate, they are unable to revalidate our warranty. We explain the circumstances and why we don't have the certificate (service was never performed by the dealer and we didn't know to ask for a certificate) and they direct us to contact the offending dealership for further help.

Spring Chrysler is now owned by Autonation and their service manager agrees to take a look at our service record. She does and comes to the same conclusion we had reached - that we were lied to and cheated. She puts together an appeal to have our warranty reinstated and passes the request up to her area corporate office. A couple days later, that office denies the appeal on the grounds that too much time had elapsed between the services in question being performed and our appeal. Basically, we didn't notice their mistake/dishonesty quickly enough. The service manager in Spring who put in for our appeal offers to cover 30% of the cost of our repairs out of their own account, which is a nice gesture.

Jeep customer service refuses to give me any documentation regarding the invalidation of our warranty and the denial of our appeal for reinstatement. They reaffirm that the only recourse for consumers wanting to know the status of their warranty is to call them and ask for it. No written notices are sent when a warranty becomes invalid nor is there any way to physically see your warranty status. They have stopped responding to my requests via social media and refuse to give me any contact information past calling their consumer support 1-800 number. I was able to get my complete service record from the dealership however and it shows what I've detailed above.

We've been impressed with the dealership here in Arkansas as they have worked hard to try to get our vehicle fixed as soon as possible. They've given us a loaner vehicle to help us get to my mother's house a couple towns away where we've been staying in the interim. The new service manager in Spring has also tried to help us out in whatever way she can - I wish she was running the shop several years previous which might have prevented this whole mess. I love my Wrangler, but because of the unwillingness of Chrysler Jeep corporate to do anything to help right the wrong done to us by their employees, I'm more likely to look elsewhere for my next vehicle.

TLDR version

Bought Jeep with Lifetime drivetrain warranty.
Kept up with services to keep warranty valid.
Dealership in Spring lied about doing required inspection which invalidated warranty.
Transmission repaired by dealership under guise of warranty work.
Fast-forward four years - transmission needs major repairs.
Warranty invalid because dealership's dishonesty.
New service manager agrees and appeals for warranty reinstatement.
Jeep Corporate denies appeal, says too much time elapsed.
Service manager offers some help, but repair cost won't be covered under warranty.
No recourse left to customer to check warranty status, no notice sent of invalidation.
Don't trust Chrysler Jeep Dodge warranties!

Any ideas? Do I even bother getting a legal claim together?
GrapevineAg
AG
I'm just guessing that having the dealership cover 30% is the best deal you're gonna get. I totally empathize with you and hope Jeep honors their warranty. When my GC started having transmission problems (a common theme with Jeeps it seems), I traded it in on a 4Runner.
OnlyForNow
AG
I'd find the SOB that got canned when the dealship changed hands and let him know how you feel, is also tell
His boss what a POS he is.
mts6175
AG
Pay for it to get fixed so you can get it moving again. Lawyer up and take Jeep & dealer to town for not honoring the warranty. Would bet money they settle out of court. Doesn't matter that Autonation owns it now, they own the problem when they bought the dealership.
CDUB98
AG
FCA = screw job

I've been perusing the jeep.com forum, and it seems customer care and concern is the least priority of the entire company.
jeffk
AG
Yeah... I've spoken to multiple folks on their customer care line. They all repeat the company line that this case has been escalated as far as we're able to. Unless you have new documentation regarding the missing service, we're unable to assist you further. Won't even give me an address or phone number for their legal department or complaint department.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I'd get anyone you can involved. BBB, Fox26, Channel 13, etc.

What was your transmission service history?

Looks like you did it once in 2013, once in 2014, and it wasnt touched since then? One trans service a year seems excessive to me, and thats BS that they didnt tell you the warranty was void.

How many miles? Are you lifted with bigger tires or stock?
jeffk
AG
We had transmission fluid replacement services a couple other times before and after the two service dates I mentioned. There's also been a couple of scheduled services on the 4x4 in there too.

116K miles, stock tires and wheels.
jeffk
AG
If any of you guys are on twitter, I put a version of this story up on my feed and tagged Jeep and their customer care account (funnily enough it's called JeepCares). I'm attempting to get a bit of social media pressure on them, but I'm not getting much traction.

91AggieLawyer
AG
They're screwing with you. You may have multiple contract and tort claims -- some or all of which include legal fees, so you SHOULD be able to find an attorney to take the case. See if you can find someone that, for $250, will advise you on the claim and write a demand letter.

I've written solid demand letters that got the attention of the prospective defendant and others that were ignored. Some idiots have written back threatening to sue ME for daring to write a demand letter to them! But on the other hand, I tell my clients to trash (not literally) demand letters. Until they file suit, everyone is bluffing. Any decent attorney can keep matters, especially consumer ones, tied up for years, so there's little risk in ignoring demand letters -- you just end up settling for what you would have pre-suit. My point is, don't expect them to cave. You'll likely have to do the work.
BigPuma
AG
4runna fo lyfe!
agracer
AG
mts6175 said:

Pay for it to get fixed so you can get it moving again. Lawyer up and take Jeep & dealer to town for not honoring the warranty. Would bet money they settle out of court. Doesn't matter that Autonation owns it now, they own the problem when they bought the dealership.
Why just go small claims court. NFW Jeep will lawyer up for that. I think you can get triple damages in Texas.
Texmid
AG
Contact that chode the road chose and see if his Jeep contacts can help you out.

Just kidding. You are screwed. Court is your best option.
JSKolache
AG
strategically placed molotov cocktails
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.