Thoughts on the Honda Odyssey?

2,371 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are thinking about kid #3 soon and it will be time to get rid of her Camry in favor of something more practical in the next year or so. Do the new 18 models have substantially more to them than the 17s to justify buying new rather than one a couple of years old like we usually do with cars? In either case I'd put about 50% down so either way I'd pay off the vehicle pretty quickly.
Texker
AG
No doubt that the current minis have a lot to offer. I refused to drive one so we went with a Yukon.
Jack Cheese
AG
I hear they are capable of doing donuts in the parking lot.
Complete Idiot
2018's don't look that different, main difference (that I've noticed) is the infotainment tech and the sliding (back front and back and side to side /UGK) second row seats. Also, as mentioned in another thread, the 18's are commanding full MSRP as they are brand new and some rush out to buy that. Personally, I would find a sub 20K mile 2016/2017 and get around $15K off the 18's. But you can't go wrong either way, and a minivan with three kids (discalimer: I have 3 kids and bought the wife an Odyssey when 3rd was born) is a great solution.
LewisChilds
AG
I have three kids and went with a used Toyota Sienna. Very happy with it. Decent mileage, good cargo space, very reliable, good acceleration and smooth ride at high speeds on the highway. My brother also has three kids and went with the Odyssey. He said it was very reliable but that my Sienna came with more bell/whistles for less money.
Macarthur
I don't think there is a huge diff in the 2018

If I were you, I'd get a 16 or 17 certified.

And I've got a 16 and it's a great vehicle. Nothing better as a people hauler (Sienna too).
ReloadAg
AG
How is the road noise on the Odysseys? I have an '08 Pilot and my biggest complaint with it is the road noise.
crowman2010
AG
ReloadAg said:

How is the road noise on the Odysseys? I have an '08 Pilot and my biggest complaint with it is the road noise.
Road noise is terrible on the Odysseys, even on the upgraded trims. Also, every time you hit a small pot hole the whole vehicle feels like you just hit a brick wall.
fourth deck
AG
LewisChilds said:

I have three kids and went with a used Toyota Sienna. Very happy with it. Decent mileage, good cargo space, very reliable, good acceleration and smooth ride at high speeds on the highway. My brother also has three kids and went with the Odyssey. He said it was very reliable but that my Sienna came with more bell/whistles for less money.
I've also had the impression that Honda is prouder of their bells and whistles. Happy owner of a '14 Sienna with 3 kids here. My only knock on this model year is that there aren't enough Latch anchors in the back row for car seats. I think it has been corrected in later model years.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I considered a 2016 Odyssey, a 2016 Sienna, and a 2017 Pacifica. I went with the Pacifica for a couple of reasons, but one was $$$. Toyota was 2nd on my list, but I couldn't really justify about $3k more for similar vehicles (not fully loaded).

Something else to consider. At least drive one.

~egon
Macarthur
crowman2010 said:

ReloadAg said:

Road noise is terrible on the Odysseys, even on the upgraded trims. Also, every time you hit a small pot hole the whole vehicle feels like you just hit a brick wall.

I have not had the pot hole issue

Road noise is much better than it used to be. I had a 2010 and it was a problem. They have worked on it and it's better. However, it's a tradeoff. The Odyssey is the best handling of the minivans and dare I say, sportier. That does give you a bit more 'feel' of the road.

I will say this. If you want a big pillowy ride, get the toyota.
fourth deck
AG
I'll second that. That nice pillowy ride is great for road trips.
JBLHAG03
AG
Just traded in our 2011 Odyssey. Initially leased it in 2011 because I couldn't imagine owning a minivan for more than 3 years, but wife would not part with it when lease was up so bought it. Likely true for all of the minivans, but low step in height for kids, sliding doors, and cargo space can't be beat. Kids are out of car seats now and can get in and out on their own, so got a new Acura MDX. It has 2 seats in third row instead of 3 and less room behind third row but a good transition. Will miss the sliding doors though, especially in tight spaces.
Knucklesammich
Can't beat a minivan during the baby carrier/car seat years.

Road noise on our 2014 Odyssey isn't an issue but that may be more perception than reality as my daily driver is a diesel excursion.

When we bought we felt the Honda was best but also liked the Sienna quite a bit.

AGEC2008
AG
Got a 2015 EX-L. No complaints, and it is nice to get everyone in and out in a timely manner and having great space. We'd do it again.
applecorn37
AG
We got an Odyssey when we had our second kid 3 years ago. 2006 model. We just had our third kid and couldn't imagine not having the mini van. We don't have road noise issues...I wonder if its a tire issue rather than an issue with the van.

You do have to even it out though. I have the weekend car (2005 GTO) in the garage too
agracer
AG
I guess not to relevant but still have my 2000 Odyssey with 193k.
schmendeler
AG
Wife loves her Pacifica
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.