Anyone here ever bought a salvage titled vehicle at auction and restored it?

1,200 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brad_97
mts6175
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been looking for a project vehicle, specifically something I can hit trails/overland with. I've been looking at used Jeeps primarily, along with some interest in Tacoma's and Land Rovers. Looking at some of the salvage auction sites, there are a lot on there that could make decent project vehicles considering the value vs cost. It would primarily be for my personal use to beat the **** out of, but of course the resell down the road is in the back of my mind.

Curious to know what the pro's/con's are of having a salvage titled vehicle. Anyone here done it?
Burdizzo
AG
I had my old truck totalled a few years ago. The damage was mostly cosmetic, and so I bought it back from the insurance company and kept driving it as a daily beater. If all you care about is the utility of the vehicle, then there is some value of a pink titled vehicle. But if you are concerned about future resale value, then I would probably avoid a salvage title.
a07nathanb
AG
If concerned about resale do not buy salvage titled vehicle. If keeping forever for fun then go for it. They reach a point in value where it wouldn't really matter but that's a long way down the road. Keep in mind on resale most banks will not lend on salvage/rebuilt titles
Corps_Ag12
AG
Not worth the risk of someone else's issues.

IE the jeep i bought with a salvage title had some body work issues, no big deal. But it also had electrical gremlins that were impossible to chase down.
mts6175
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Not worth the risk of someone else's issues.

IE the jeep i bought with a salvage title had some body work issues, no big deal. But it also had electrical gremlins that were impossible to chase down.
Just to clarify, I'm looking at some damaged jeeps and doing the repairs myself, not purchase one that someone else has repaired. So body damage I'm ok with. Avoiding fires and floods like the plague for the exact reason you stated though.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Even straight from the aution, you don't know what kind of condition it was stored in and what may have been exposed to what.
EskimoJoe
I had a former coworker do this with an 06 super low mileage powerstroke. He put 200k miles on it without any problems that could be blamed on being a rebuilt vehicle. It did have the typical powerstroke problems.

It seems like the key to successfully doing it is finding a shop that does quality work.
Brad_97
AG
My pops has had good luck in this regard buying from a local resaler unrepaired then using a local shop he trusts to rebuild. Generally newer low miles that he can drive for a couple years and still resell for profit even w the salvage. Key is buying it right. He avoids anything water or fire, avoids heavy front end or frame damage. Looks at a lot of side impact or light roll where you have mainly body damage. Do need to find a place that will store appropriately / avoid water intrusion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.