Jeep Grand Cherokee Question

2,047 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Red Fishing Ag93
AgTDub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife has a '12 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 hemi and yesterday we couldn't get it to start. The engine would try to start for a while but just wouldn't turn over. The red "lightning bolt" light was on which I understand is the electronic throttle control.

Bought a new battery yesterday in hopes of getting out relatively cheap and installed it and the car started right up. I cruised around the neighborhood a little to see if there were any further issues and even shut the car off and started it back up a few times.

Get in the car to go to church this morning and we're back to square 1. Car won't start and lightning bolt is back along with CEL.

Thoughts?
p_bubel
Check the connections on the battery and have the battery checked out first.

Then maybe the alternator. Pull the codes as well. Are the brake lights coming on when the pedal is pressed?
AgTDub
AG
Brand new battery as of yesterday. All connections are good. Lights, brake lights, radio, ac fan all come on.
Kuz89
AG
Sounds like a bad TIPM. Our 2011 GC had similar startup problems. Do a Google search, lots of info.
Kuz89
AG
Follow up. Ours was a faulty fuel pump relay associated with the TIPM. Worked intermittently and was a pain to diagnose.
AgTDub
AG
Appreciate the responses. Just went out and jumped it from my truck and it fired right up and ran with no problems or warning lights. Won't start on it's own though.
SPF250
AG
This may or may not be helpful, but Ms SPF250's '14 JGC had an issue that sounds similar. It needed a new battery in the electronic key fob. I did learn of a couple of workarounds to start the car. First, take the key fob and use it to push the electronic start button rather than your finger. This worked for her. There is also a manual key in the key fob. You can flip up the cover of the electronic start button and use the manual key to start the car.
The Lost
AgTDub said:

Appreciate the responses. Just went out and jumped it from my truck and it fired right up and ran with no problems or warning lights. Won't start on it's own though.

How far have you driven it after this? Alternator sounds possible still.
AgTDub
AG
Just around the neighborhood a little. Maybe a mile, mile and a half?
AgTDub
AG
Another update:

This morning I jumped it to get it going again and then drove it about 20 miles to the shop with no issues. That would lead me to believe it's not the alternator correct?

Maybe the starter?
CDUB98
AG
Very unlikely the starter. They are a solenoid, so they pretty much either work or don't.

A loose power wire to the starter is possible. That happened to me several years ago on my first car.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
YouTube mechanic here. Still looks like it's the alternator.

Hopefully it's that simple. I just had a SKIM light I had to work thru. That was a nightmare.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.