Re-wrapping King Ranch leather steering wheel?

7,793 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
txaggie_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My truck is going on 8 years old now, and I hope to get more years out of it. Currently I've got about a 1" x .5" area on my steering wheel where the leather has worn through due to sweat and whatever else from my hands. It seems as if it's just going to continue to grow. Is there anywhere that would re-wrap it with new leather, or would it be easier to find a matching steering wheel in better condition from a junkyard or something?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Either an upholstery shop or saddle shop should be able to help you out.
Mookie
AG
I did the wheelskins deal a few years ago for my Honda and it was easy. I would call them on Monday and ask if they have king ranch leather available.
Gigemags05
AG
I'm interested in this too. I have the same problem
wunderbrad01
AG
A decent steering wheel in the junk yard is hard to find and will be aged already when you find it. The upholstery shops I checked into needed 1-2 weeks and $250 to do the job for regular leather. Wheelskins is highly recommended by me, but I'm fairly certain the king ranch leather isn't available.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/322538001469?_mwBanner=1

This is allegedly guaranteed to match. I did the wheelskin cover on a few rides, which is the same as this one. I find that putting the new one over the old makes it too thick. I prefer to cut all the leather off the steering wheel and measure / get one made to fit.
Mattressburn
AG
I found a steering wheel for my 09 Sierra on this site.

http://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

Not sure how hard Ford steering wheels are to remove the older GMs needed a special tool. So it might be easier to re wrap it. The wheel cost me less than a 100 and it was in almost perfect shape. Shipped from North Dakota if I remember correctly.
Aggiemike96
AG
Only one solution, LS swap.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Craft customs in Dallas does nice work and has a reasonably quick turnaround.

You could always buy a used wheel, install it and send yours off to get rewrapped.
chaca5151
Did you have any luck?
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you have a black interior KR, I have a KR wheel that Im about to remove from my truck. Had it for 10K miles.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.