New Power Numbers on 2018 F150

3,446 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BrazosDog02
mts6175
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

BASE 3.3L V6

The base engine is now a smaller displacement V6, but it boasts a power increase when you compare it to the 3.5L V6 that it replaces. The engine has both direct and port fuel injection. The power rating is 290 hp @ 6,500 rpm (which is 8 hp higher) and 265 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm (which is 12 lb-ft higher).

2.7L ECOBOOST V6

The "baby" EcoBoost V6 maintains 325 hp @ 5,000 rpm, but it boosts torque an impressive 25 lb-ft to a total of 400 lb-ft @ 2,750 rpm. The previous version of the 2.7L turbocharged six proved itself as a very quick truck in our 0-60 MPH testing. Now, the truck could be even faster. We cannot wait to test it.

5.0L COYOTE V8

We are thankful that the V8 engine remains in the F-150 lineup. Now, it's even sweeter. Maximum horsepower is 395 hp @ 5,750 rpm (up 10 hp when compared to the 2017 version), and total torque output is now 400 lb-ft @ 3,850 rpm (which is 13 lb-ft more).

The top-of-the-line 3.5L EcoBoost V6 remains at the same power level as before: 375 hp @ 5,000 rpm and 470 lb-ft @ 3,500 rpm. The high-output version (Raptor version) of the engine remains at 450 hp @ 5,000 rpm and 510 lb-ft of torque @ 3,500 rpm.

Nothing on the diesel yet, but they mention in the video it's the same diesel engine that is in Land Rover's.
a07nathanb
AG
People shoot coyotes
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
INteresting, the 5.0L has trailed the 3.5 Boost in HP numbers up until now...hmm....
Endo Ag
AG
Nearly 6k rpm to get max power in the V8! I'd like to see that power/torque curve. Boost is likely much stronger in daily use.
Jack Boyett
AG
That hp and torque for the 2.7L V6 boost is very similar to my 1999 V10. Kinda funny.
KY AG
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

INteresting, the 5.0L has trailed the 3.5 Boost in HP numbers up until now...hmm....

I've always wondered if Ford was purposefully suppressing the 5.0 performance to enhance the EcoBoost and recoup development costs. Now it appears they're turning the 5.0 free, I would imagine ecoboost sales will fall off somewhat.
drumboy
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

HP might be higher but I'll take the 50 extra ft/lbs of torque from the boost...
chimpanzee
These are glorious times we live in. 3 engines with 400+ lb.ft. of torque and a 3.2L n/a V6 making nearly 300 hp.

I started paying attention to car numbers in the mid-80's. These specs would have been unfathomable then.

Think about it, swap a base engine from a 2018 MY half ton pickup into a Ferrari 348 and it would likely be faster than stock.
The Wonderer
AG
The base 3.3L v6 is only rated 5 hp less than my 5.4L v8. Engine technology has a come a long way in just 7 years.
Silvy
AG
That could've been done as far back as '99 when GM trucks started to get LS engines.
chimpanzee
silverado_lover said:

That could've been done as far back as '99 when GM trucks started to get LS engines.

Not with the base 4.3L V6 boat anchor, though it would still be running, which is unlikely with the OE powerplant.

mm98
AG
Nm
bam02
AG
My 351 cubic inch V8 Bronco is rated at 210 HP and gets about 9 mpg stock.
aggieforester05
AG
KY AG said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I've always wondered if Ford was purposefully suppressing the 5.0 performance to enhance the EcoBoost and recoup development costs. Now it appears they're turning the 5.0 free, I would imagine ecoboost sales will fall off somewhat.
Just wait until they slap direct injection on it and if they could do it without too much of a CAFE hit, a set of twin scroll turbos like the boost. It's a complex and technologically advanced motor with a lot of potential left on the table.

The 5.0L is also getting the 10-speed this year, which will help negate the low rpm torque differences with the boost.
mm98
AG
Man that's kinda crazy to think about.

For what I use a truck for, the base 3.3 with a 10sp should be fine.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Can you get the Raptor version motor in a Lariat edition?
aggieforester05
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Can you get the Raptor version motor in a Lariat edition?
I'm sure you can, but not directly from Ford. The aftermarket is having a hay day with these motors.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
mm98 said:

Man that's kinda crazy to think about.

For what I use a truck for, the base 3.3 with a 10sp should be fine.
The 3.3L will not get the 10speed. Soldiers on with 6R unit.
mm98
AG
Then that gives me an excuse to upgrade to the 5.0
BrazosDog02
AG
Sweet.

What advantage is there to the "big" Ecoboost in terms of a truck that would be used for towing when you have a 5.0 V8 as an option? Fuel economy when not towing?

I also like how its starting to look a bit like a Super Duty.
BlackLab
AG
Any changes to the locks on the 2018?
BrazosDog02
AG
BlackLab said:

Any changes to the locks on the 2018?

Yes. Ford has decided to remove the locks and replace the lock surround with Saran Wrap so as to minimize damage during break-ins.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.