Chevy Tahoe... sigh

5,234 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by hatchback
knoxtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About 6 months ago I bought a 2003 Tahoe Z71, just for family travel. We didn't want to mile up our personal cars and Tahoes are great for travel. It had 120k miles, not a single dent, etc. I threw it on a commercial code reader and it had never thrown a code... ever.

In 6 months I have put in...

4 new tires and rims, came with 20's which is stupid on an offroad vehicle. $400 plus trade
4 new bilstein HD shocks - $500 installed myself
alignment plus various - $200
2nd alignment - $200
a/c charge - $200 ish
recovered sunroof cover - $100
new overhead minifan that helps the climate control - $50 - did it myself (chronic failure item)
new wiper control module - $100 did it myself (chronic failure item)
new remote fobs - $20 programmed myself

At that point this POS decided it was really going to start needing stuff.

Fuel Pump - $700 (chronic failure item)

Started to sell it and pulled back when I noticed fluid coming out of the bottom, whatever could that be?

Transfer case - $2700 (classic pump rub problem)

Now today it is in the shop for a heavy rattle/squeak from the front (betting it is the belts and tensioners) and also a whiney in the hiney (bet it is a rear differential, that is yet another chronic failure item).

I know GM makes crap, but come on. Every time I use this thing there is a chronic problem that comes up. Every time I fix a major problem I say, well at least we have everything fixed that can go wrong and then a week later I drop another 500 bucks into this turd.

F Chevy.
George08
AG
So the tahoe performed perfectly for 14 years (never threw a code) but now it requires some known repairs typical of a 14 year old tahoe. Shocking.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Yea.... I'm going to go ahead & pin this one on you for buying a 14 year old vehicle that wasn't apparently maintenanced properly.

My dad still has his 2003 Suburban Z71 (literally the same vehicle as yours, but longer) and has not experienced any of the issues you've listed above and has 180k on it so far, still going strong.
knoxtom
Yep, rear diff - $2k.

I am fine with shocks, wheels, and occasional breaks. That is part of owning a Chevy or any other car.

But google Chevy pump rub and read up on the million poorly engineered transfer cases before blaming me. Or google Chevy fuel pump and read up on the millions that have gone bad.

The funny thing about all these repairs is that every one is noted as a "chronic" failure.

Happy your dad's is fine, good for you!

Presley OBannons Sword
you can find pretty much any results you want to match your hypothesis on car forums. there are a lot of high mileage chevy trucks and SUVs from that model group that have had nearly no issues. I think you just got a bad one that wasn't well maintained. it sucks, and it isn't your fault necessarily, but I wouldn't be so fast to just say "chevy makes crap"
UmustBKidding
Rear diff, $250 in scrap yard probably can find one with 80k miles. Or $100 on Craigslist and 350 for every bearing, shim and crush sleeve, to overhaul it.
2k is out of line.
Mine made it to 200k before swap of Craigslist unit that did nothing but change fluid in. Close to 300k now. Remember the payment on a replacement is.going to be $800 month so for.less than a payment you can fix a lot of stuff

KY AG
AG
FYI: older vehicles require maintenance.
AgEng06
AG
I don't think this went exactly as OP planned...
Silvy
AG
Lol
MouthBQ98
AG
Sorry to hear your bad luck, but it isn't always that way. My 04 suburban is at 385,000 miles all original drive train and aside from burning some oil, runs great.

It's had a new water pump, new a/c blower and the rear a/c blower replaced and the rear spindle bearings and seals redone, but other than that it's been minor stuff, like a bad u joint or the tensioner pulley bearing, stuff I fixed in the driveway myself.

I did have to replace the intake manifold gasket once, and have done the plugs maybe twice. I've also done the fuel pump twice in the driveway, which sucks but is relatively simple to do. I also bypassed the ethanol ratio detector in the fuel system so it is no longer flex fuel.
Complete Idiot
knoxtom said:

But google Chevy pump rub and read up on the million poorly engineered transfer cases before blaming me. Or google Chevy fuel pump and read up on the millions that have gone bad.

Did you google these before or after you bought?
MouthBQ98
AG
The fuel pumps overheat if you run the tank under 1/4 full all the time like I used to.
BigPuma
AG
200 for an alignment twice ?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Dang man that's enough to turn somebody in to one of those Toyomos.
Complete Idiot
You may want to lower your price, or delete this thread.

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2845199/replies
AgEng06
AG
Nice.
Silvy
Picard
AG
"I would trust it to drive to Alaska tomorrow, it really is fine."

"We are asking $7000. You won't find one nicer"

OP's phone number is in the other thread. We should all call him and tell him what a bad Aggie he is."
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

In 6 months I have put in...

I hate to say I would have told you, but . . . I would have.

The reason I got rid of my 2003 Tahoe is I was spending 200 here, 400 there -- not every month but enough where a car payment (which I don't care for) actually seemed like a better idea. I actually quit driving the Tahoe out of town in either late 2010 or early 2011. I rented cars to drive distances because I didn't trust the reliability. The engines and even transmissions are fine, but the rest of it is/was just this side of junk. Poor designs on things like the fuel pump.

4 of my first 5 cars were Chevys. 4 of how many cars I have total in my life will also be Chevys.

Quote:

FYI: older vehicles require maintenance.

My wife's 2001 Honda Accord has had the following done to it:

-- one brake job
-- either 1 or 2 drivers side window motor replacements and 1 passenger side
-- something weird with the security system that Honda finally put out an advisory on and they fixed it
-- 2 sets of the pistons that hold up the hood (one set in the first few weeks after we got the car)

And one more thing that I've forgotten what it was, but cost like $450. I don't think we've spent a grand in maintenance on that car. $1500 at the most. I spent more than that the last year of my 03 Tahoe and well over that on my 1996 Tahoe.
Presley OBannons Sword
Complete Idiot said:

that's embarassing
Jack Cheese
AG
Complete Idiot said:

It's a cream puff!
reproag
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Dang man that's enough to turn somebody in to one of those Toyomos.
I like where you are going with this.
The Wonderer
AG
Complete Idiot said:

knoxtom
Ask the people who responded. I wouldn't sell it once I found the transfer case leak
Complete Idiot
He did post it for sale nearly three months ago, a lot can change in three months. Not sure why I remembered it but stumble on the names of my kids sometimes (cue username checks out).

But if you do hope to sell here someday I'd delete this thread, no matter how much work you put into it it wouldn't be appreciated.
Buck O Five
AG
This is why I read TexAgs.
TXAGFAN
AG
knoxtom said:

Ask the people who responded. I wouldn't sell it once I found the transfer case leak
Youre getting a lot of **** on here, but I don't understand why. Clearly you didn't sell it a few months ago.
powerbelly
AG
TXAGFAN said:

knoxtom said:

Youre getting a lot of **** on here, but I don't understand why. Clearly you didn't sell it a few months ago.
Because he made this statement about an old tahoe:

Quote:

Great family trip car, no dings, good paint, really clean inside and out, probably a little too nice to send to a ranch. I would trust it to drive to Alaska tomorrow, it really is fine.
And then the truck started needing repair work. It is funny.
sts7049
AG
live look at OP:

ClickClack
AG
Picard said:

"I would trust it to drive to Alaska tomorrow, it really is fine."

I find the bolded part especially funny and out of place. Like he just got caught in a semi-lie with his previous statement.

MelvinUdall
Owned a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban and other than some minor maintenance issues, it was a great car for 13 years. I now own a 2011 that I have had more issues with than I ever did with that 2001. Your car is 14 years old, I guess I don't know what you expected.
knoxtom
Ended up selling the Tahoe to a Chevy dealership mechanic since he can do the diff cheap. I don't have the time or desire to rebuild it myself in a flower mound driveway. Told him about the problem and he paid a bunch less

Bought a new 4runner sr5 premium with 3rd row seat. Hard to find it

No idea why you internet sleuths think I did something wrong. Found the first leak and didn't sell it, then found one major problem after another. As each problem arose I read up on it and learned how many poorly designed parts these cars had. One after another.

ClickClack
AG
knoxtom said:

Ended up selling the Tahoe to a Chevy dealership mechanic since he can do the diff cheap. I don't have the time or desire to rebuild it myself in a flower mound driveway. Told him about the problem and he paid a bunch less

No idea why you internet sleuths think I did something wrong. Found the first leak and didn't sell it, then found one major problem after another. As each problem arose I read up on it and learned how many poorly designed parts these cars had. One after another.

I don't think you did anything wrong. The wording did kind of make me laugh and sounded guilty. I don't think you were trying to con anyone though.
MemorialTXAg
knoxtom said:

You seem like an honest guy. Just don't buy a 14 year old American can and expect it to roadtrip from Dallas to Alaska without any problems.
C Loves L
Very cool! Your Tahoe sucks and you hate GM

Meanwhile me and my family have had countless GM made vehicles. None are/were lemons and 2 are still going with 225+k miles

My father gave in (mother's demands) and bought a F150 back in the late 80s. It was every bit of what a lemon truly is. My wife has a 2013 Ford explorer. Not a lemon and no major issues. But plenty of little, annoying issues.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.