2015 Yukon Tail light Short

10,972 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sts7049
JB!98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife's 15 Yukon has a tail light short. At first I thought it was the LED taillight that was out, but she started it up to move it and the light was working again, thus I believe it is a short. Good thing because the getting another tail light is not a cheap proposition.

Any ideas on where I should start searching for this electrical gremlin? Has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks in advance
03_Aggie
Not still under warranty?
JB!98
AG
No sir! It has 41k on the clock. I have to run this one down myself.
javajaws
AG
If there's quick disconnects on there - check the contacts and maybe apply some electrical contact cleaner to them.
SCHTICK00
AG
Derail here I know, but our 15 Yukon has been the worst vehicle we've owned. 7 warranty trips and counting. POS
JB!98
AG
We have had no issues other than this. I cannot believe that is your tail light goes out that is is half your mortgage to replace. Glad my truck is a 14 where I can simply pay 3 bucks to replace the bulb!
aggolfer
AG
I bought a CPO 15 Yukon in April. Last Saturday would have been 5 weeks that I bought it and it was only at my house 4 days during that time. Only reason it was there that long is that they are closed on Sundays. I could go on forever but the dealership bought it back from me for what I paid and they cut me a deal on a new one. So just fyi, don't buy this Yukon, they just relisted it.

http://www.stonebriarchevytexas.com/VehicleDetails/used-2015-GMC-Yukon-4WD_4dr_SLT-Frisco-TX/3000952683

I know they haven't fixed the axle/front diff issue yet as they claim the noise was an air intake issue.
SCHTICK00
AG
We have 32k on ours now. Exhaust leaks, rattles, rear end noise, rear end locked up and had all the guts replaced, more rattles, water in tail lights, more rattles, engine idles rough. The answer/excuse is always "this is normal". Never again a gm product. I'm on my second ram diesel now and I haven't had a single warranty issue in either one on trucks that are supposed to be poor quality around an exceptional engine. Our 2012 expedition had no issues for the 60k we owned it. Not a fan of gm at all. End rant.
sts7049
AG
i would start here. maybe when the light is working you could knock on it with your hand and see if that cuts it out. would probably confirm its some sort of bad connection or short.
JB!98
AG
sts7049 said:

i would start here. maybe when the light is working you could knock on it with your hand and see if that cuts it out. would probably confirm its some sort of bad connection or short.
First thing I tried. I am going to clean the plug this evening and see if that works. Thanks!
EskimoJoe
Yikes, we have 32k on our 2015 Yukon and it is running fine, none of these problems. I better knock on wood.....
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
X2 on the connector issue.

FWIW, a lot of these LED tail light boards are now made in China....
Bigballin
AG
Own a '15 Yukon and it's been fine. Only issue was the clicking steering wheel and the rear plastic panel broke off the front passenger seat. 41.5k miles.
discountlimo
This is a very common proplem with 2015 and 2016 and 2017 Gmc yukon tail light but they could be fixed check on ebay there is several company that fix them
sts7049
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.