Jeep JK audio upgrades

1,206 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dodger02
dodger02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad and I went in on an '08 JK together. It has the Infiniti audio system but I'm underwhelmed by the audio output and quality.

The 8" Infiniti woofer in the back isn't anything to write home about and the stock roll cage speakers suck big time. I understand the Infiniti system includes an amp under the steering column (haven't verified this first-hand, though) but, again, am underwhelmed by the overall sound output and quality.

I'd like to upgrade the sound system but don't really have the budget to go all in on a custom system (meaning, I'm not dropping $1k to upgrade everything at once at a custom stereo shop). I'm considering upgrading the front and roll cage speakers and installing poly fill, first. I don't want to install a sub or amp in the rear in such a way that I'll sacrifice what limited storage space we have but am open to upgrading the dash amp and 8" woofer in the rear if I can find the right mix.

I'm not looking to win any stereo contests at a downtown red light. I'm looking for quality over volume.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start or what path to take?

Rule #1 compliant:

Corps_Ag12
AG
Read up!

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-xVJ0IEfflBH/learn/2007-2010-jeep-wrangler.html
dodger02
AG
Just found that. Now, trying to prioritize upgrades.
ac04
lots of really great info here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/speaker-upgrade-infinity-6032si-904409.html

i upgraded front/rear speakers and 8" sub based on the advice in this thread. it was much better than stock, but i eventually tore it out and replaced everything with non-budget type items. and then added some other stuff.
dodger02
AG
Just found that one, too. I might follow those steps this summer and just hold off on full blown upgrades for a while.

I had a '97 F150 in college with a full custom system that was the tits. I'd like to have that again...but then I realize that all I listen to these days is H100 on Sirius.
javajaws
AG
The biggest problem in jeeps are the horrible head units. You'll never get great sound out of the stock one. I've got a build thread for my audio system I did on wrangler forum I'll post for you later which might give you some ideas. There's lots of other threads there as well for low cost solutions.
javajaws
AG
Here it is:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/sandy-sues-jku-audio-build-1992098.html#/topics/1992098

If your in Austin you can come check it out if you want.

Sorry about the missing images - looks like photobucket has been down the last day or so - fail.
Street Fighter
AG
I have dynamatted - poly filled front jk speaker pods with the Kicker speakers and the same speakers for the sound bar you can have for $100.00.
dodger02
AG
That was a fantastic read. But, it's a bit much for me right now. I'll probably start slow and work my way up to a full build-out using those earlier links.
dodger02
AG
PM sent
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.