CVT transmission fluid change

1,273 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fourth deck
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm seeing lots of conflicting info about changing the transmission fluid for a CVT (2007 Nissan sentra). I'm at about 135,000 miles and I don't think it's ever been changed. I'm not having any issues with the transmission right now, but I'm starting to think I should probably drain and refill. But I've some say if you go too long without changing it then you shouldn't change it or it will cause the transmission to start slipping. But I've seen some say it never needs to be changed as long as there's not a problem. I don't really know what to believe at this point.

Should I change the CVT fluid on a transmission with 135,000 miles that isn't giving me any problems?
Complete Idiot
Is it not in the manual? I admit I do not know CVT service intervals having never owned a CVT, but I'd be surprised if any fluid would not have a recommendation to be replaced prior to 135K miles.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I'd replace it.....

If it has a dipstick tube, get a mightyvac with the large capacity and suck old fluid out and refill what you put in.

redd38
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Is it not in the manual? I admit I do not know CVT service intervals having never owned a CVT, but I'd be surprised if any fluid would not have a recommendation to be replaced prior to 135K miles.
Manual says to check it every 30k miles... but people on the internet (so I have no idea if they know what they're talking about) point out that it only says to check it, never says to change it.
redd38
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I'd replace it.....

If it has a dipstick tube, get a mightyvac with the large capacity and suck old fluid out and refill what you put in.

It has a dipstick tube and a drain bolt underneath.
fourth deck
AG
Had the CVT fluid changed on a Ford Freestyle I used to have at ~100,000 mi. Only problem I had was that the numbnuts at Varsity Ford didn't tighten the drain pan completely and it leaked fluid slowly for a couple days before I took it back to tighten and check the levels.

Had the CVT fluid changed on our '07 Nissan Versa at ~85,000 mi (I think) before selling it to family. I remember seeing recommendations to change it at 60 or 80 and I didn't want it to have any issues after selling it to family. I remember the service manager at the dealer mentioning that fluid still looked ok though. You're probably outside of the warranty which was extended on these as well. Maybe you could find a dealer or independent shop who can take a peek at the state of the CVT fluid first?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.