What kind of tire do I need?

2,428 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2015 F150, have almost 51k miles in just over two years of ownership, so obviously a lot of highway miles. Occasionally have to park in a muddy lot or go to the ranch/farm or lease road but no major offroading. I'm not super up to speed on truck tire designations. I like the look of offroad/all terrain tires but I don't think that's the most practical choice most likely.

Other threads seemed to recommend the Michelin Defender LTX, would that be a good option for me? My top priorities would be safety and quietness.

Looks like there are some rebates right now and they may be on sale at Costco...does anyone with a membership want to check the price for me real quick?

https://tires.costco.com/product.aspx?ItemNo=729911&SearchID=e41f3651-262b-4f0f-a6a4-8e20ca08d18e
The Wonderer
AG
51k miles in 2 years? You actually fit what the Mich LTX will do as you'll run the mileage off before they get old and dry rot.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Good to know. I was also thinking about getting slightly larger tires to fill the wheel wells more, but not certain if that's a good idea. Looks like 275/65/20 s will fit on my otherwise stock truck. Seems a little tall and skinny...any advice? Stock size is 275/55/20
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The LTX would be good, but theres not much offroad capability.

If you have 4WD tough its probably enough.
Silvy
AG
Cooper Cobra is best tire, 275/60-15
GarlandAg2012
AG
I do have 4wd.

I'll look at the Cooper Cobra as well.

What's the board's opinion on wider tires with spacers to widen the stance? I like the look but am not sure of drawbacks. Thinking of looking at 285/60r20 with like 1" spacer.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
silverado_lover said:

Cooper Cobra is best tire, 275/60-15
GarlandAg2012
AG
Well now I feel silly.

After looking more, it appears that 275/60r20 is a much more common/less expensive tire. It's will still help fill out the wheel arches a bit more and maybe I can still widen the stance with spacers.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Well now I feel silly.

After looking more, it appears that 275/60r20 is a much more common/less expensive tire. It's will still help fill out the wheel arches a bit more and maybe I can still widen the stance with spacers.
275/55R20 is stock for the 20" option.

275/60R20 will fit and give you a little nicer fill out.

I dont recommend spacers.

275/65R20 is larger but mostly for 3/4 and 1 ton load ratings and will rub at lock.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Bump for a question, thinking of taking advantage of the Thanksgiving sale. Trying to decide between Michelin LTX for longevity and BFG KO2s because they look cool and give me some offroad capability. I don't use my truck often offroad but do pull a cargo trailer regularly.

First question - which "LTX" is the one mentioned in this thread? It seems like every Michelin tire in the size I'm looking for has LTX in the name. There's an LTX A/T 2, Defender LTX M/S, Premier LTX, and LTX M/S2.

Next, which tire is quieter? People seem to love the BFG KO2s but I can't imagine they are quieter than a highway tire, right? I currently am on the stock Pirellis so any comparison to that would also be appreciated.
garyt73
AG
I run jeep roads in Colorado a couple of times/year. I have run all types and am back to Michelin LTX M/S2.
I have found them to be as capable as anything except for sticky gumbo type mud. They have been great off road, are quiet on the highway. ride is excellent and they last great.
milkman00
AG
The LTX A/T 2 will do great for you. They are better in mud than the M/S 2 in my experience. Have a set of each on different trucks now.
GarlandAg2012
AG
weekday bump for a bit more input before i pull the trigger
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you want to look cool, go with the BFG AT TA KO2, Cooper Discoverer, or Terra Grappler G2.

If you want longevity, the LTX Premier, LTX MS2, or the Defender LTX (all Highway All season tires).

If you want a teeny more all terrain capability, try the LTX AT2. Seems like a good compromise considering you rarely go off road.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.