Tire wear

1,376 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My truck was pulling to the right pretty hard a couple weeks back and I got the tires rotated and balanced and the problem went away. However I noticed that the outside of my tires have worn down quiet a bit. Certain parts of the tire are boderline smooth in the outside edge on the all terrain tire.

My question is does this warrant buying new tires or will they still be good to go for a while? They rest of the tire still has a lot of life in them still.
Silvy
AG
Post a pic of the worst wear spot.
sts7049
AG
how long did you go between rotations?
dubi
AG
Do you need an alignment?
AustinCountyAg
sts7049 said:

how long did you go between rotations?

Probably a little longer than normal. Maybe 7k miles or so? I normally rotate every oil change
AustinCountyAg
dubi said:

I don't think. It is not pulling anymore to the side
AustinCountyAg
silverado_lover said:

Post a pic of the worst wear spot.

I will try to get around to it. I'm not sure how to post pictures
dubi
AG
You can email me the pic (email in profile).
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Type of tires?

All terrain/aggressive treads generally need more frequent rotation than a highway all season tire.

On pickups, I always recommend crossing the front tires to the back, and the back straight to the front. Helps it wear better and more evenly.
Mr. Dubi
AustinCountyAg said:

dubi said:

I don't think. It is not pulling anymore to the side

Tire wear is an indication for alignment. The pulling could be an indication of tread separation, which could be a precursor to a blowout.

Also don't assume that just because you paid someone to rotate your tires they inspected them. Our son had his tires rotated with cords showing on all four tires on the inside shoulders. The shop said nothing about it.

AustinCountyAg
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Type of tires?

All terrain/aggressive treads generally need more frequent rotation than a highway all season tire.

On pickups, I always recommend crossing the front tires to the back, and the back straight to the front. Helps it wear better and more evenly.
bf good rugged terrains
AustinCountyAg
I'm planning on going to my local tire man today and have him look at them to see what he thinks?.....I will also try and post pictures later. I am beginning to think that it needs an alignment done.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I'm planning on going to my local tire man today and have him look at them to see what he thinks?.....I will also try and post pictures later. I am beginning to think that it needs an alignment done.
I recommend them annually if you are in a city setting where there are potholes, construction, or if you're on a bunch of rural oilfield back roads that are washed out/rough.

AustinCountyAg
went and talked to my local tire guy and he recommended that I just keep an I on the tires right now. It looks like my tires only have another 10K or less on them right now, so he said hold off on the alignment until I just get a new set of tires in case the alignment issue isn't the actual problem. He said the wear isn't too bad right now, and looks rather normal.....

He probably is right. I was thinking back and the tires do have close to probably 70k on them right now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.