motor mounts

1,384 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
had an alignment last month w/ 1 yr warranty.
was already bad again (pulling right) so dropped it with them...now claiming 2 of 3 bad motor mounts.

already don't trust this shop after my last experience...how can I check this myself? online suggests they will either be grossly damaged or fluid coming out of them.

2011 w/ 100k miles
CATAGBQ04
AG
2011 what?
Sazerac
AG
Ford Edge, it it matters
Jack Cheese
AG
I replaced 3 mounts on a 2003 Honda and it made a huge difference to drivability and handling. The old mounts had cracks in the rubber. All were in different condition ranging from hard-to-detect cracks to just falling apart in my hands.

It was a relatively easy fix on a Honda.
BigRobSA
On that vehicle, if your mounts are THAT bad, your engine should rock back/forth a ton.

Have someone watch, with hood up, while you basically power brake it a bit. If you see excessive movement, your mounts are bad.

I doubt it's your mounts.
Tim Weaver
It's highly doubtful that bad MM would make any difference in the alignment. The 2 things are pretty isolated from each other.
lawless89
They a difficult thing to change out yourself?
Sazerac
AG
So what do y'all think I should check?

Alignment helped the first time.
Then rotate and balance at discount...This place claims they did another alignment but the mounts are shot (the 2 I could easily find look ok visually and there is no shaking ever) and now it's bad again.
BigRobSA
Check tires for separated belt
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Mounts are usually cheap and fairly easy to replace, just require a jack and a socket set. (Use a piece of 2x4 so you dont mar the bottom of the engine.)
Not sure thats the fix, but dont let them charge a crazy amount for it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Yes and no.

Your car could be in spec and fully aligned but bad mounts COULD cause it to track incorrectly like it was out of alignment. That being said, your mounts would have to be completely all f-ed up for it to be like this....

Take it to SW Wheel alignment on Richmond and have them align it.

Sazerac
AG
Guys at SW alignment were awesome. And only $60.

Alignment wasnt awful, but not correct. They fixes, swapped the front tires - something about a belt shifting but that's not a defect - and all is good.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
cclearman said:

Guys at SW alignment were awesome. And only $60.

Alignment wasnt awful, but not correct. They fixes, swapped the front tires - something about a belt shifting but that's not a defect - and all is good.

Good stuff!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.