sway bar links question

1,987 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a couple new sway bar links for my car and they came with extra screws that I was not expecting and was wondering if anyone can tell me what they are for.

Here is a picture of the product from amazon:

What I received has a small screw hole where the arrow is pointing though, and they included a bag that has screws to go in the holes. So does anyone know what that screw is for? And why didn't they just screw it in before they sent it to me? Is it not supposed to be screwed in until after I install the bars?

I can get actual pictures of what I received if that'll be helpful. I just don't see any point to having a screw there (maybe so I could add lubricant later on without replacing the bars?)
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
You sure they're actually screws and not grease fittings?
redd38
AG
Upon googling "grease fittings", yes, they are definitely grease fittings. So that's just for future re-greasing, right? I shouldn't need to add grease when I first install them?
Silvy
AG
Pop them fittings in and fill with grease brah
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I always grease anything with a fitting when I install. Squeeze enough in so that the rubber expands just a bit and you're good to go. Someone else can correct me if that's wrong.
Aggietaco
AG
Grease until new grease oozes out of the boot. Wipe off excess.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Zerk Fittings...
BigRobSA
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I always grease anything with a fitting when I install.

Giggety!
redd38
AG
Ok, another question. Do I have to use a grease gun to fill them with grease? Or can I just kinda push the grease in the hole with my finger? Obviously a grease gun would be easier, but I'd rather not buy one if I don't have to.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
redd38 said:

Ok, another question. Do I have to use a grease gun to fill them with grease? Or can I just kinda push the grease in the hole with my finger? Obviously a grease gun would be easier, but I'd rather not buy one if I don't have to.
Just get a Grease gun, there are many other reasons you may need one in the future.
sts7049
AG
you won't get it in there well enough with your fingers.
redd38
AG
I ended up just taking the parts to a mechanic and he squirted some grease in them
will.mcg
AG
Get a grease gun & add grease every oil change. Make sure you watch a YouTube video on how to refil a grease gun or you will be frustrated when it doesn't pump any of the grease you just screwed in there.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
This entire thread....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.