Let's play "Is it totaled?"

3,873 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TyHolden
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2007 Frontier with ~165k miles. Ran perfect (owned since new). Airbag deployed and passenger door won't open.

Aggiemike96
AG
I'll take "What is YES?" for $1,000, Alex.
Aggiemike96
AG
Oh, and I know EXACTLY where that happened. I'm at Eldridge and Briar Forest.

More importantly, is everyone OK?
aTm2004
AG
Sorry for the traffic. Yeah, fortunately, all were ok. I was driving down Eldridge and he just took off onto the intersection. The lady sitting in the lane next to him gave a statement that their light was red...and had been. She told me that when he took off she yelled "what in the hell are you doing?" Also had another witness give a similar statement. I guess he thought his light turned green.

I'll be honest, I felt bad for him. He was sure that he was going to lose his job, and if I can talk to the owner of the company, I'll suggest not doing so. It was an accident, and luckily, everybody walked away.
aTm2004
AG
Oh, what really sucks is my wife's car will be paid off in a few months and I was looking forward to no car notes. Guess that's not happening.
Bregxit
AG
Nah, that'll buff out.
gig em 02
aTm2004 said:

Oh, what really sucks is my wife's car will be paid off in a few months and I was looking forward to no car notes. Guess that's not happening.
Why not?
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Aftermarket or junkyard parts (assuming radiator, transmission cooler need replacing)... $1750 If you find the right place...
Picard
AG
BadAzzBohemian said:

Aftermarket or junkyard parts (assuming radiator, transmission cooler need replacing)... $1750 If you find the right place...

Did you miss the part about the airbags deploying and the passenger door won't open?

aTm2004
AG
gig em 02 said:

aTm2004 said:

Why not?
Because when I buy vehicles, I buy them with the plan to keep them for as long as I can. I've had my truck for 10 years and it still ran like the day I drove it off the lot. I was looking forward to 5+ more years with it, but that looks to have come to an end.

I have a ~80 mile round trip commute in Houston traffic each day, so going with a new truck might not be in the cards due to fuel costs. I haven't a clue how much their insurance will try to low ball me, but I have an idea of how much I will take for it, and put that toward a new vehicle. Unfortunately, all cars/trucks I want are in the $40k range (though I really want a 100 series cruiser, but fuel would kill me), and I'm not in a position to take a savings hit when we're also looking to move within the next year or so while keeping our current house to lease out.

I did browse ebay last night to see what's out there in the used market if I decide to go that route. My dad recently bought a new car and decided not to trade in his current car due to him feeling he could get more if he sold it himself. It's a 2010 Maxima that has every option on it with only ~75k miles. He told me he'd sell it to me for what the dealership offered him, which would be the smart financial move, but as stated, I plan on keeping whatever I get for as long as I can, so I would prefer to get what I want rather than settle.
TRIDENT
AG
In your case, buy your dad's Maxima and drive it at least until you move.
Aggietaco
AG
A nicely appointed Maxima sounds like a great option for an 80 mile round trip.

Sorry about the accident.
aTm2004
AG
Yeah, I may end up going that route. I'll know for sure since I'm going to borrow it until I'm able to get a rental car. I really want a Q50S, but that may have to wait. Rolling around in mom's Cadillac right now until my dad gets back into town this weekend. He wouldn't budge on letting me use his new car for a few days ('17 Mustang GT convertible)
BigPuma
AG
i'd settle for the maxima, drive that thing to/from work and in a couple years get your cruiser you want while keeping the maxima to commute in.
Javelina
AG
BigPuma said:

i'd settle for the maxima, drive that thing to/from work and in a couple years get your cruiser you want while keeping the maxima to commute in.
This man has it right.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Picard said:

BadAzzBohemian said:

Did you miss the part about the airbags deploying and the passenger door won't open?

Yeah, I probably didn't explain that I had a very similar wreck in my truck where I had to crawl out the window.

It is displaced sheet metal that keeps the door from opening... not nearly as bad to fix as it seems.

Air bags... I probably wouldn't fix those as the cost would likely be about the same as the rest of the repair.
HBCanine08
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Oh, and I know EXACTLY where that happened. I'm at Eldridge and Briar Forest.

More importantly, is everyone OK?
+1
drewser95
AG
BadAzzBohemian said:

The thing that surprised me in the top photo was that there wasn't a puddle of fluid running down the street. But I know embarrassingly little about engines -- probably doesn't necessarily mean they still don't need replacing.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
T&P!

Hopefully no injuries....I was over that way but avoided due to traffic.
aTm2004
AG
drewser95 said:

BadAzzBohemian said:

The thing that surprised me in the top photo was that there wasn't a puddle of fluid running down the street. But I know embarrassingly little about engines -- probably doesn't necessarily mean they still don't need replacing.

The 2nd pic was after they pushed it out of the van to tow the van out of the bushes. The engine was running after the wreck, but it sounded like an old cartoon car.
PooDoo
AG
If you were rear ended by a company owned vehicle I would have a lawyer on speed dial.

You are going to try to be nice and do the "right thing" and their insurance company will try to take advantage.

I had to spend so much time on the phone explaining the same thing to each person I talked to, arguing about the rental, Dr bills... I'm never doing that again.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Glad all are ok. Stuff is replacement!
Furlock Bones
AG
PooDoo said:

If you were rear ended by a company owned vehicle I would have a lawyer on speed dial.

You are going to try to be nice and do the "right thing" and their insurance company will try to take advantage.

I had to spend so much time on the phone explaining the same thing to each person I talked to, arguing about the rental, Dr bills... I'm never doing that again.
this right here especially if they are self insured.
62strat
AG
Oooh ooh I wanna play!

You know the question.. is it totaled?

2015 XLT 4X4, 31K miles.

sts7049
AG
hail damage on the side?
62strat
AG
sts7049 said:

hail damage on the side?
Good eye.. It's on the hood, the left front quarter panel, both left doors, left door/roof rails, rear quarter panel and roof. Entire passenger side is untouched. (hail was at quite an angle.)

It's quite obvious in person, and close up:

$20K + repair. Apparently mostly due to aluminum (namely the welding of a new roof). Other trucks in our parking lot with same damage were $10k or less. The only other new f150 was $20k as well. Strange.
lb3
AG
TyHolden
AG
Quote:

My name is ******* ********, and I'll help you through this portion of the claims process. I'm writing to let you know that we've evaluated the physical damage to your 2012 FORD F-150 SPRCR 4X4 SPR CREW, and it is a total loss
This is all I got from USAA (above). Am I entitled to the itemized list of repairs? What percentage do they use for total loss calculation? Thanks!

edit...never mind - he provided it after asking for it. it was about 70% of the value.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.