Fuel service and Trans flush?

1,405 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
etexDVM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took the wife's 15 Expedition to dealer today for routine service and they recommended a Fuel Service for $149 and Trans flush for $254. I told them to hold off for now.
Are these actual needed services, or just expensive add ons?
It has 45K miles on it.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
AgResearch
AG
1 - Fuel service is a rip off. Someone will chime in with an ~$8 bottle something to pour in your fuel tank and get the same results.

2. NEVER allow a "flush". Drain and refill only. That being said, no way transmission service is needed at 45K. Look in the auto manual for actual mileage.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just used this for my truck.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/maintenance-schedule.html#/ymm/2015/Ford/Expedition/30

Fuel system? - maybe
Transmission? - ughh, no... and in before drain and fill not flush.

But I'll let 1ags weigh in for confirmation.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You beat me... I think transmission service isn't recommended until 150k
etexDVM
AG
Ok. Thanks for the replies. I thought it was a little over the top.
And this was at the local Ford dealer. You'd think they would be a little more straight dealing with their customers.
I'd post a photo of recommended services sheet, but I'm semi-old and not so good with the interwebbing.
FishingAggie
Just replace your fuel filter. Some newer models will tell you when the filter needs to be replaced. You don't need the flush. The dealers service writers get paid based on $$$ they wrote up for service. I've never liked that philosophy at the dealer.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Curious why the general consensus against a flush?
Im sure it's been covered, but i must have missed that thread.
p_bubel
The general idea is that you're forcing fluid around and out of the transmission that could result in grime, build up, sludge dislodging and causing problems.

I imagine it's mostly "conventional wisdom" that may be outdated like so many other things but who knows...

Frankly, it's certainly not necessary on a vehicle with this few miles.
UnderoosAg
AG
I lost a sensor after a transmission flush in my old truck, thereby starting an epic disaster with the stealership. They even had the audacity to tell me that it just happens, yet they keep flushing away, after giving me my truck back stuck in third.

sts7049
AG
the service department's goal is to make money. selling extra services is in their best interest, not yours.
Duncan Idaho
p_bubel said:

The general idea is that you're forcing fluid around and out of the transmission that could result in grime, build up, sludge dislodging and causing problems.

I imagine it's mostly "conventional wisdom" that may be outdated like so many other things but who knows...

Frankly, it's certainly not necessary on a vehicle with this few miles.

It primarily grew out of people not servicing a transmission until there was a problem. If you change the fluid on a regular basis, it should be fine to do a flush. If you have let it go and the fluid is burned or super dirty, flushing it will push stuff around and probably clog something somewhere
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
No Fuel filter on this truck.

Dump a can of BG44K in the tank and move on.

Trans service isnt until 150K, but I'd do it at 100K as a precaution, earlier if you use this thing to creep in rush hour traffic.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Trans service isnt until 150K, but I'd do it at 100K as a precaution, earlier if you use this thing to creep in rush hour traffic.
Wait...what?! For real? Seems a bit risky to me.

On a somewhat related note, why wait for 100K on the trans fluid? I seem to remember one of my engineering profs (think it was Bollfrass) that said that the majority of gear wear occurs in the first 5-10k miles. Why not change at that point so you don't have those particles in the fluid for another 90k?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Wait...what?! For real? Seems a bit risky to me.

On a somewhat related note, why wait for 100K on the trans fluid? I seem to remember one of my engineering profs (think it was Bollfrass) that said that the majority of gear wear occurs in the first 5-10k miles. Why not change at that point so you don't have those particles in the fluid for another 90k?
There's a strainer in the tank, that's it.

GM deleted their inline fuel filters in the early 2000s because people weren't changing them and causing fuel pump failures, as well as a cost cutting measure.

Ford followed suit in the mid/late 2000s in their gasoline applications.

The transmission has a filter in it, so I don't see a reason to change it that often. You may want to consider doing it more often if you are towing, running in extreme temps, or using the vehicle as an uber or delivery type setting.

The main enemy of trans fluid is heat. It breaks down the fluid and uses up the additive package. Replenishing a portion of the fluid at a time (vs Flushing it) will renew the additives and replace some of the 'worn' fluid. I personally change my vehicles trans fluids at 60K as a precautionary measure.

Once when my dads company did away with company cars, he bought a used maxima with 100K. The car shifted really firmly and if you did a kickdown from 4th to 3rd, it would be really rough. The trans fluid was pretty dirty, so he would drain 2 or 3 quarts from the transmission once a month, refill and drive it.

This went on for 4 or 5 months and the fluid was looking nice and fresh and the trans was shifting nicely. Anecdotal but a good example.

bigtruckguy3500
I can understand avoiding a transmission flush with the external pump that might operate at a really high pressure, but my understanding is that the've started connecting it directly to the transmission pump and using the same normal pressure to cycle old fluid out and new fluid in.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

I can understand avoiding a transmission flush with the external pump that might operate at a really high pressure, but my understanding is that the've started connecting it directly to the transmission pump and using the same normal pressure to cycle old fluid out and new fluid in.
Idont think those high pressure machines have been used for a while.

The main issue I have is the 'shock' of the new fluid into the system, and that most dealers/shops dont actually use the right fluid, they just put in regular Dex/Merc and whatever additive package the machine recommends to make it shift right.
Duncan Idaho
How did he pull 3 or 4 quarts at a time? Suck it up through the filler?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

How did he pull 3 or 4 quarts at a time? Suck it up through the filler?
Thats all you could drain from the drain hole on the case.

On vehicles with dipsticks, you can use a large mighty vac and go down the tube.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.