Do you honk your horn?

5,022 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FincAg
PharmD4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If so, how often? Daily? Weekly?

I think I may tap my horn twice a year or something...just to let someone know a light is green.
RedlineAg08
Only to let someone looking at their phone know that the light is green. Used to be twice a year. Now it's twice a week minimum.

The best is when you're parked at a light that turns green and the lead cars in every lane are looking at their phone. Makes me wish terrible things for them.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Absolutely! As often as I'm able to!
The Fife
Every time some dumbass tries to change lanes without looking.
aggiebq03+
I now flash my lights and honk at people who are in the left lane and not actively passing someone.
MouthBQ98
AG
To clue people in when the light changes and they're on their phone, or to warn people when they're about to hit or near miss me. And occasionally to let a jack ass know they're a jack ass.
aggieforester05
AG
Yes at the a holes in front of me who take their sweet freaking time, while dare not pressing their throttle more than 5% while turning left at the red light. Then I catch the light because they're slow.
Agmechanic
AG
All the time. Have the cows trained to come to it.
coolerguy12
AG
Not often but when I do it's 3-4 seconds minimum. You have to really be a bad driver to get me to honk at you and I let you know it.
Koko Chingo
AG
During the fall and spring semesters, it seems to be at least once a day. Just a little toot. It seems to be a regular occurrence for the light or turn arrow to go green and someone in front of you is on thier phone and do not see the light change.

I really hate it when they finally pull thier head out and take off like they are in a drag race just making the light, leaving me to be first in line for the next round.
el_scorcho
AG
Pretty much daily
Matsui
AG
daily
aTm2004
AG
Depends on how often I encounter an idiot that is apparently licensed to operate a motor vehicle. Had to use it on the way in this morning as some jacknut in a Dodge Neon decided he would move to the left 2 lanes but only look to ensure the first lane was clear. As he was coming into my lane, I laid on the horn until he moved completely back into his lane. It's not like I was in his blind spot either. The front of my truck was about to his driver side mirror, so a quick glance over the shoulder would have sufficed.
aTm2004
AG
coolerguy12 said:

Not often but when I do it's 3-4 seconds minimum. You have to really be a bad driver to get me to honk at you and I let you know it.
That's me and my wife hates it. We were driving down the road a year or so ago and the lady in front of us decided to come to a complete stop in the middle of the road (4 lanes with a median) to let somebody make a left turn into a gas station. I laid on the horn until this lady was back up to the posted speed limit. Even the guy trying to turn left was waving her on with a "WTF" look on his face.
sts7049
AG
here in argentina they honk the horns at the toll booths when traffic gets backed up so the booth people will raise the arms and let people through for free.
RedlineAg08
If you cause a wreck it should cost $10k in fines alone. If you can't afford it then you're working the weekends doing community service until it's paid off. $15/hour, 8 hours a day. That's almost a years worth of community service. Our cities would be clean.

If you're caught on your cell phone - $2k.

DUI - $50,000 or 2 years in prison. Uber makes it too easy to get home. No excuses.

Kill someone - expedited execution.

Make the consequences of ****ing up so severe that no one is tempted to chance it.
AG
Yes. The lights are a 2 minute cycle around here. One ******* can really mess up a commute

I think a device that auto beeps when detecting a green light is just around the corner if it doesn't exist already. It's wouldn't be any more obnoxious than those flashing lights construction fleet cars have.
sodycracker
AG
Agmechanic said:

All the time. Have the cows trained to come to it.

My friend always traded trucks after going through 3 to 4 horns on his trucks. From calling cows
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Living in China, I honked the horn in my first week there more than I had in my entire life up until now.....
Flashdiaz
AG
robertf03 said:

Yes. The lights are a 2 minute cycle around here. One ******* can really mess up a commute

I think a device that auto beeps when detecting a green light is just around the corner if it doesn't exist already. It's wouldn't be any more obnoxious than those flashing lights construction fleet cars have.
I used to joke that I would invent an app that alert the drivers that the light is green.... sad that it may actually help.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Flashdiaz said:

robertf03 said:

I used to joke that I would invent an app that alert the drivers that the light is green.... sad that it may actually help.

Bighamp03
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

I now flash my lights and honk at people who are in the left lane and not actively passing someone.

Tell me more about this. I want to do it, but I think that people will end up being even bigger ***** because of it. What percentage of people actually move over and then don't end up shooting you?

The other day I was driving on the Beltway with some jack wagon clogging up the left lane a few cars ahead. I then notice that it was my neighbor, so I called him and told him to move the **** over. I've wished thousands of times for the ability to do that. It was one of the most fulfilling moments of my life.
Whens lunch
AG
I very rarely honk, although I did just yesterday. Sitting at a light, turns green and continue to sit behind some idiot in a Mercedes SUV thingy. Finally honk a quick blast to wake them up and get a finger out the window for my trouble. I don't get it. This falls into the "you've got one job" category for me. Pay attention, when the light changes and its safe....get going.

I also love the people that in a 45mph zone, slow to a stop and then creep to turn right into strip center or something. Get off the fricking road.

I do find that while I don't honk much, my use of profanity laced sarcasm has increased considerably.
redd38
AG
I have a couple horn-related questions.

Let's say you're in a right-turn only lane and the light is red. Is it ok to honk if the person in front of you isn't exercising their right-on-red option? I generally don't honk but I want to.

Also, how far back from the lead car is permissible for honking at a green light? I feel like the 2nd car's job is to honk pretty immediately if the 1st car doesn't move when the light turns green, the 3rd car is a backup incase the 2nd car isn't doing it's job. But I feel beyond that I'm too far back to know the situation up front so I generally don't honk.
AG
All that seems reasonable

I think a couple of the lesser 49 don't permit right on red, so honk away, it could be a foreigner in a rental.

cr0wbar
AG
My usually lay on the horn at the jackasses that run a red light turning and if I'm the first in line. The usually looked up scared ****less
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

I also love the people that in a 45mph zone, slow to a stop and then creep to turn right into strip center or something. Get off the fricking road.
That **** pisses me off as well! I hate when they take their sweet ass time turning into somewhere when the roads are dry. I yell to myself "physics works!" as I'm slamming on my brakes.
aggieforester05
AG
It's the same people who feather their gas taking off at a red light, scared to death they might make their head rock back if they press the gas too hard.
Terk
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Flashdiaz said:

robertf03 said:

Lights are questionable on road, but is the horn ok?
91AggieLawyer
AG
I honk some -- maybe even a lot -- but I no longer think it does much good. Too many out there are so full of themselves that they think something is wrong with me. Then they (usually) proceed to flip me off. Why anyone thinks that does anything other than make them look stupid is beyond me.

I swear, some of these people are going to end up with a bullet in their head one day from pissing off the wrong person. I actually had one guy follow me once and pull in close to where I parked to go into somewhere. He had pulled up behind me, started to roll the window down and then, as I got out and he got a good look at me, took off. Like FAST. I have no idea why he did that -- thinking peeling out would "show me;" saw me and got scared of me being so ugly (my wife's theory); thought I was tough looking; or the opposite -- thought he could so easily beat me up he'd end up in jail...; who knows. I had no intention of doing anything other than walking into wherever I was going.

But had I wanted to pull a gun on him and shoot, it wouldn't have been too difficult. I just waived as he left and yelled, "keep in touch!"
zap
AG
If someone is blocking the intersection, I will lay on the horn until they clear the intersection, no matter how long it takes.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Terk said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Flashdiaz said:

robertf03 said:

Lights are questionable on road, but is the horn ok?
According to the traffic laws, yes.
idAg09
I've always wanted to lay on the horn when I see a cop have someone pulled over on a city highway (I-10, Beltway, etc.) . I've always thought it was stupid people pulling over in the left lane instead of exiting, but then I saw a cop stop two lanes of traffic to pull a guy over on the highway instead of letting them exit.

Am I the only one who thinks pulling over on the highway if you don't have to is incredibly stupid?
will.mcg
AG
Nope
akaggie05
AG
I used to lay on the horn a lot more, but now I worry about stuff like this:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/1-killed-in-richardson-road-rage-shooting/440752972
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.