Vibration at Highway Speed

1,770 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FishingAggie
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I very rarely get my CRV on the highway, but I did a few days ago. At highway speeds, 70-80 I get a very pronounced vibration in the steering wheel. However, it's only on straight roads. If I'm turning the vibration goes away. Where should I start for checking this?

Also, no sound associated with this. No hum, click, or anything, vibration just goes away when turning.
Jack Cheese
AG
How old/worn are your tires?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Tires have less than 10k on them, don't appear to be worn much at all. No cupping pattern or anything like that, all even.
Jack Cheese
AG
I would have balance on tires checked first.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, start with having your tires balanced. I had this issue a couple of months ago and it cleared it right up. Tires also had less than 10k on them.
Jack Cheese
AG
Also, are you turning at 70-80 mph?? That might introduce a whole set of other problems.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Jack Cheese said:

Also, are you turning at 70-80 mph?? That might introduce a whole set of other problems.
you know what I mean. The highway turns a bit. When that happens the vibration goes away, comes back when the road straightens out.
Bregxit
AG
When my wife's RAV4 did that it was the wheel bearings/hub. Exact symptoms. Going straight had a strong vibration. Slight bends would quiet it.

Multiple edits because I can't type on my phone today apparently.
BigRobSA
Check wheel bearings to see if they have excessive play.

Could also be bushings for the suspension.
The Wonderer
AG
Either threw a wheel weight or it's the bearings in the hubs.

Get a balance and rotate. If still there, check the hubs for play.
YouBet
AG
I bet your rotors are shot. I had this same issue on one of my cars in the past and it was bad rotors.
Jack Cheese
AG
YouBet said:

I bet your rotors are shot. I had this same issue on one of my cars in the past and it was bad rotors.

If it happens when braking, maybe...
The Wonderer
AG
The horn's probably shorting out.
Jack Cheese
AG
Or the distributor cap.
Pendragon12
AG
Had a similar issue on a brand new (<3,000 miles) 4Runner...felt it shake at highway speeds and had one tire wearing unevenly.

Took it by the nearest dealer, not where I bought from, and they were going to charge $200 to rebalance and rotate. I found that pretty ridiculous...hell I could almost buy a brand new tire at that price, so went to a Discount Tire nearby.

Welp, they sheared a lug putting one of my tires back on. They say they didn't go over the recommended torque, so they're saying I should take it to the dealer I bought it from to check it out since such a new vehicle shouldn't have had that happen. They'll be making it right and replacing the one they broke once they get the part, but how screwed over am I when I go to the dealership later? Or should I really even bother because it's likely DT just screwed up?
fire09
AG
If it isn't tires or rotors (would occur during braking) check your joints.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Wheel straightness/Wheel balance is the easiest and cheapest to check.

Next would be front end, brakes, hub assembly, tie rods, bushings etc.
JSKolache
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Tires have less than 10k on them, don't appear to be worn much at all. No cupping pattern or anything like that, all even.
So you've already rotated & balanced twice, correct?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

5000-7500, maybe once?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
beefiedoubleoh said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Once.
FishingAggie
Pendragon12 said:

Had a similar issue on a brand new (<3,000 miles) 4Runner...felt it shake at highway speeds and had one tire wearing unevenly.

Took it by the nearest dealer, not where I bought from, and they were going to charge $200 to rebalance and rotate. I found that pretty ridiculous...hell I could almost buy a brand new tire at that price, so went to a Discount Tire nearby.

Welp, they sheared a lug putting one of my tires back on. They say they didn't go over the recommended torque, so they're saying I should take it to the dealer I bought it from to check it out since such a new vehicle shouldn't have had that happen. They'll be making it right and replacing the one they broke once they get the part, but how screwed over am I when I go to the dealership later? Or should I really even bother because it's likely DT just screwed up?

Rule of thumb is "he who touches it last owns it."

Discount should replace the stud or they should have notified you if it was hard coming off. Then it's not their fault. 99% of the time a broken stud is over torqued. Discount uses torque sticks to avoid this problem but the tech might simply have used the wrong one (over torqued ) or not used one at all.

Get the discount manager and explain you had all your studs when you went in and now you don't. They'll fix it. It's a $1.00 part and 15 minute fix.

If your tire is wearing uneven with that few miles, you need to see the dealer as it's a warranty issue

That's a separate issue. Something's not right. Well I'm assuming you mean wearing that's not alignment related. You could have hit a curb or pothole and knocked the alignment off. Remember,the dealer will be the HIGHEST price repair you'll ever see. Lol. Sad ,but true.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.