Using OLD gas question ( again)

1,802 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by beer.morebeer.mostbeer
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this has been answered on here a few years ago but , being oooold I can't remember the answer....

I have a 5 gal can of possibly 3 year old gas that I had for a generator. Put it out in the shed and forgot about it. Is it safe to use , a gallon at a time, in the truck mixed in with a nearly full tank ? I def wont use it in the power equipment but need to get rid of it.
What say this board ?
beer.morebeer.mostbeer
If there was never any stabilizer put in the gas can it is crap.
The Original AG 76
AG
beer.morebeer.mostbeer said:

If there was never any stabilizer put in the gas can it is crap.
wee..ok...next question ???
How is the best way to get rid of old gas. ( dont have the ability to use it on fence lines mixed with diesel )
Strongwind86
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

What say this board ?

Kill it with FIRE?.....
Whitetail
AG
I'd probably just mix a 1/2 to 1 gallon into my vehicles gas tank (when near full). It wouldn't take long to dispose of it.
The Wonderer
AG
Whitetail said:

I'd probably just mix a 1/2 to 1 gallon into my vehicles gas tank (when near full). It wouldn't take long to dispose of it.
This. Just dilute the old gas in a full tank in your car.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Not that I'm advocating it....

but gasoline left open in a pan for a while might eventually evaporate. Say an oil catch pan used in changing oil.

My only issue with older gas is that it tends to polymerize or oligomerize. Those aromatics like to join up with other like-minded individuals. This can cause a type of gelling. A little in a large quantity of gas (i.e., full tank with 1/2 gal of old stuff) might be ok, but I would look/inspect it first. You start seeing floating chunks, I would burn/evaporate it.

~egon
Kenneth_2003
AG
Does it still smell like gasoline or does it have a different odor?

Several years ago I was at a vehicle extrication school and we were cutting up a bunch of older junkyard cars. Don't know how long they'd been siting before we got them but in many cases the gasoline in the tanks smelled wretched.

If you can waft the can, and it smells like gasoline you're fine working it through your fuel tank. If it smells "off" I'd suggest looking for other options for disposal.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
FWIW, my 78 FJ40 started and ran with 4 year old gas + Stabil, and drove around with no issues.

I'd say you can mix in a little at a time. Or mix some in with the waste oil when you go to recycle it.
Furlock Bones
AG
either mix in a little bit at time or pour in with your old oil when you go to recycle it as 1ags mentioned.
Whitetail
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

Not that I'm advocating it....

but gasoline left open in a pan for a while might eventually evaporate. Say an oil catch pan used in changing oil.

My only issue with older gas is that it tends to polymerize or oligomerize. Those aromatics like to join up with other like-minded individuals. This can cause a type of gelling. A little in a large quantity of gas (i.e., full tank with 1/2 gal of old stuff) might be ok, but I would look/inspect it first. You start seeing floating chunks, I would burn/evaporate it.

~egon
If you choose to go with the evaporate method (which would work), make sure you don't light a cigarette or something. Fumes can be dangerous and you could forget and cause a real issue.
Furlock Bones
AG
It actually doesn't take very long for most of the volatile chemicals to evap meaning you can actually toss cigs into a bucket of gasoline and it will be not different than a bucket of water.

However if you agitate that bucket, watch out.
Whitetail
AG
The 3 gallons the OP has might take a bit.
BrazosDog02
AG
If it smells like fuel, I'll burn the whole thing in a motor. I use stabilizer though...I've used fuel that's 5 years old no problem.....if it doesn't smell varnished then it's fine.
Jack Boyett
AG
Gasoline is biodegradable. Just sayin
CATAGBQ04
AG
Have a pile of brush to burn?
Picard
AG
Dispose of the gas properly. In a rental car.

Furlock Bones
AG
Picard said:

Dispose of the gas properly. In a rental car.

this man knows things.
beer.morebeer.mostbeer
http://twinoakslandfill.com/hhw-accepted-items/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.