AC condenser leaking - 2015 subarban

2,537 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggielandma12
Aggielandma12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was told my AC condenser is leaking and it would be $1,000 to fix. I haven't noticed any issues with the AC. I took the car in for an oil and brake fluid change.

What does the condenser do? Do I need to fix ASAP?
Silvy
AG
If you're not seeing performance issues with your A/C, homeboy was blowing smoke up your ass.
Aggielandma12
AG
that's what I was thinking.
Jack Cheese
AG
Dealership or Jiffy-Lube?
Aggielandma12
AG
Firestone
sts7049
AG
if it was leaking you would have lost refrigerant and the a/c wouldn't be blowing cold

i would be asking them why they say it's leaking
Rexter
I would have asked the jackhole why they were messing with my a/c instead of doing the oil change and brake fluid swap.
UmustBKidding
Some cars like my son's combine the ac condenser, transmission cooler and power steering cooler into a single unit. It's possible to have a leak in the condenser and not affect ac. But given the source I suspect they have no clue.
Aggielandma12
AG
I had the transmission fluid changed too, maybe he noticed it then. Regardless, I'm sitting in the car now, it's 90 degrees outside, 70 in the burb.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
How could they have observed that without removing the grille/upper radiator cover?
Aggielandma12
AG
so my wife calls me today and says, the AC is not blowing cold. Surley these guys wouldn't intentionally cause a leak. Is this something I can easily look to see if it was tampered with?
Dr. Doctor
AG
There are some things to look at; but it can be simple to make a system 'not work'. But without taking parts of the car off OR putting gauges on the system, there is NO WAY to know what's going on with the AC system (or ANY AC system, house included).

• Can look at the caps on the High/Low sides. The Schrader valves do leak and you need the caps. If they loosened the caps, that could cause a slow leak (gas gets trapped in the cap. loosening it allows Freon to escape).

• They could also have taken the caps off and pushed the valve. Release a bunch of Freon. Now you are low. Look for oil around the caps. Usually venting out in large quantities rapidly leaves the refrigerant oil where they vent.

• Look at the system (most parts are bare aluminum). Is there oil leaking somewhere?
  • Are the sensors plugged in all the way? Notice anything hanging or not plugged in? Taking off the low pressure switch would prevent the system from coming on. Should have noticed that pretty quickly, but that's a quick way to disable the AC system to get you to come back. Takes 10 seconds to fix, but I can charge you $1,000 for a new system.

Short answer: yes, technically.

Longer answer: assuming they are sloppy, you might get some clues. If they are good, not really. But I would be HIGHLY suspicious of anything that starts acting funny, especially a couple of days later, after someone started mentioning it to me. And it was working fine beforehand.

~egon
Aggielandma12
AG
Thanks! I will take a look when I got home this evening.
Aggielandma12
AG
I didn't notice anything unplugged or usual looking. I regarded with AC Pro and it's now blowing cold, we will see how long it last.
sts7049
AG
you shouldn't use those quick charge kits. you can cause more problems.
Aggielandma12
AG
great...It's still under warranty so my wife is taking into chevy today. I just did it last night so she didn't have to drive around with no AC with 3 little kids .
dubi
AG
Aggielandma12 said:

Firestone
Never ever use Firestone.
Aggielandma12
AG
tell me about it. We just moved to Austin and I haven't found a reputable place. I you know of one let me know, in SW Austin.
AG
The leaking condenser at about 2 years old is a common issue in the GM SUVs (type in google and you will see all types of complaints). Not sure at what point it hits recall level. Word is that it is a manufacturing defect that is causing these leaks. GM is supposed to be finding a new supplier for these condensers, but there are very few if any to be found at this time. I have a 2015 Yukon XL with the condenser out and the part on order for going on two months. I go into the dealer every 3 or 4 weeks to get it recharged to keep the cool air coming (they are doing it for free) until the part comes in. I am planning on sending a letter to GM and whatever Texas lemon law government institution. Hopefully with enough letters there will be some pressure to get the issue dealt with as a recall.
Aggielandma12
AG
we have been told the same thing. Wife got a loaner Tahoe and her Suburban is at the dealer waiting on the part. They have no idea how long it will be.
Ciboag96
Aggielandma12 said:

we have been told the same thing. Wife got a loaner Tahoe and her Suburban is at the dealer waiting on the part. They have no idea how long it will be.

So Firestone was right?
Aggielandma12
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.