'93 Wrangler YJ

2,761 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jswags
dodger02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad asked me to swing by and take a look at a '93 YJ 2.5L w/ < 105k miles on it after work today. He also asked me to do some research...so, naturally, my first stop was TexAgs.

What are our thoughts on the YJ and what are some things I need to advise him on regarding an almost 25 y/o Wrangler?

As a retired guy with a simple life, he won't use it for much more than a daily commuter to his part-time job (~4 miles roundtrip) and the occasional trip to Home Depot. It'll probably see <5k miles per year...maaaaaybe. He'd also like to tow it behind his class A motorhome 1-2 times per year.
Strongwind86
AG
I've had one (93 YJ) since 2001.

It's a fun weekend vehicle. Mine has the 4.0L / Auto.
Very solid vehicle. Easy to maintain. the 93 has a fuel injected motor. Not a whole lot to go wrong with it. You'll see the typical issues with a 24 year old vehicle - belts, hoses, exhaust, etc...

I've flat towed it behind my F150 around the state. No problems at all.

The 2.5L (4 cylinder) is kinda weak if you put larger tires on it. Keep tires around stock size and you'll be fine.
dodger02
AG
Thanks.

He's a pretty darned handy fella' and would probably like the idea of being able to work on some minor issues as they arise...emphasis on minor.

It currently appears to have pretty stock tires and it's not 4x4. If it's not ragged all to hell, he might wind up snagging it. Good for him...and me.
Guitarsoup
AG
Get a 92 and you can qualify for antique plates
Canyon99
Square headlights rule. Stay away from the 4 cylinder.
dodger02
AG
Why so?
Rexter
The 4 banger can't fight it's way thru wet toilet paper....
TxLawDawg
AG
NM
dodger02
AG
Makes sense. That's not really a problem for my 68 y/o dad who wants a tinker toy. If it were my money, it might be a factor.
Canyon99
dodger02 said:

Why so?

Mine wouldn't go over 55 mph. A true POS engine.
EskimoJoe
The fuel injected 2.5 won't win any races on the highway but it will be fine for puttering around town and back and forth to work. I have 2 yj's, a 93 and a 95. If it is a standard transmission make sure it goes through all gears smoothly without any grinding. They used brass synchronizers in the ax5 and ax15 transmissions, and if someone used the wrong gear oil they will corrode. If you do get it, it will be a good idea to drain the transmission and. refill with pennzoil synchromesh gear oil.

Also check to see if the steering is tight and check for death wobble. These are simple machines and everything is fairly easy to fix.
JB
AG
It is 4x4
ac04
i drove a 95 with a 4 cylinder in high school and i can confirm that the engine is a painfully weak piece of ****. the most underpowered vehicle i have ever driven in my life.
dodger02
AG
Yeah, I know. Went by and looked at it on Friday afternoon.

How do you know, JB?
JB
AG
I have never seen a 2wd YJ....unless maybe its an old mail Jeep?
ac04
i'm pretty sure they didn't make any 2wd wranglers until 2007. but i could be wrong.
dodger02
AG
I'm new to these things. Thanks, guys.
JB
AG
I have a 93 with the fuel injected 4.0 Runs great. I have never driven a 4cylinder, but heard plenty of people say it sucks. Can't imagine though that it wouldn't be fine for just cruising around town on stock tires.
HumbleAg04
AG
I've had the pleasure of driving the mid-80s 2.5CYL in a CJ-7 and the mid 90s 2.5L in a YJ and TJ. They all sucked. 55 was possible down hill with the wind.

If you find one in great shape reasonably priced, LS Swap.
EskimoJoe
HumbleAg04 said:

I've had the pleasure of driving the mid-80s 2.5CYL in a CJ-7 and the mid 90s 2.5L in a YJ and TJ. They all sucked. 55 was possible down hill with the wind.

If you find one in great shape reasonably priced, LS Swap.

4bt swap
dodger02
AG
Looks like the YJ is a no go. It's in too rough of shape and the 4 cylinder - though likely adequate for his needs - doesn't tickle our fancy.

On to exploring a 2000 Sahara that needs a synchronizer replaced but < 100k miles and the price is right...
EskimoJoe
dodger02 said:

Looks like the YJ is a no go. It's in too rough of shape and the 4 cylinder - though likely adequate for his needs - doesn't tickle our fancy.

On to exploring a 2000 Sahara that needs a synchronizer replaced but < 100k miles and the price is right...

Just update from the ax15 to the nv3500
Complaint Investigator
AG
I've got a 95 YJ. I can't imagine driving it more than 10-15 miles at a time. Granted I've put a lift (and a Ford 8.8 plus a bunch of other stuff) on it - it jars the teeth out of my head. It's also got the 4 cyl so going over 55 is a no go unless I'm in 3rd and the engine is screaming. I have a flatbed car hauler and will trailer it wherever I need to go to try and break it.
Bighamp03
AG
dodger02 said:

Nothing out of order there. Ax-15s are only operating properly when they have a synchro or two out.
Towns03
AG
I have a set (5) of alloy Jeep wheels and almost new tires i'm looking to sell if you ever pull the trigger. will fit all wrangers before 2004, I think.
jswags
AG
Can you post a pic of the wheels? My dad might be interested.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.