Replace struts

1,105 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son's 2003 Honda Element needs new struts. I've never done this. Based on some reading, it seems that renting a spring tool can be done but may not be advisable - tales of lost fingers, etc if you do something wrong.

Given my novice status, is it smarter to just buy the whole strut/spring assembly? Or is that chewing into the savings so much that I might as well pay Firestone to do the job?
dubi
AG
Get an alignment afterward.

I'm no help on the other since my hubby is the one that risks his fingers.
BigRobSA
You can definitely do it with "rented" tools like the spring compression tool. Just have to make sure springs are in the tool correctly and tight. Air tools help, too, to zip off nuts, as well as impact down the compression tools instead of manually.

If you're apprehensive, the next best option would be buying the set like you mentioned.
Ag03 CQE
AG
I just installed new strut assemblies and after doing so I'm glad I went this route instead of replacing just the struts. The whole job was done in under 2 hours using hand tools and was incredibly easy. You'll pay more for parts, but on a 2003, there's a decent chance that any or all of the other strut assembly parts (except the spring) will also need to be replaced. You also won't have to mess with trying to use a spring compressor without maiming yourself, and be able to finish the job in half the time.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Easy... I've done them in my 2004 Element.

But I used the whole strut spring assembly. No need for the spring tool.
AggieDruggist89
AG
dubi said:

I have you know....that was on our previous Oddy.

OP... I changed out the struts on 2001 Odyssey and drove 300 highway miles without an alignment.

Blew out the front tire.
Strongwind86
AG
I've done front strut cartridges before on my F150. Was able to borrow a real spring compressor from a professional mechanic to compress the springs.

I've seen the "rental" and "Harbor Freight" spring compressors... Wouldn't trust my safety to those especially if you feel you're a novice. Very bad things can happen to a strut spring in compression if the compressor slips... That $100 for labor won't seem like a bad price over a trip to the ER...
dubi
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

dubi said:

I have you know....that was on our previous Oddy.

OP... I changed out the struts on 2001 Odyssey and drove 300 highway miles without an alignment.

Blew out the front tire.

We have done struts twice since your experience and needed an alignment afterwards both times.
Mr. Dubi
Get the complete assemblies. You'll get the bumpers, dust covers, mounts and bearings, in addition to not needing to screw with disassembly and reassembly.
Jack Boyett
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

Get the complete assemblies. You'll get the bumpers, dust covers, mounts and bearings, in addition to not needing to screw with disassembly and reassembly.
They aren't that expensive, and that other stuff needs to be replaced too. Plus it makes the swap a really easy job.
Jack Cheese
AG
Thanks for all the good advice. I will go with full assemblies.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

THIS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.