Antique Plates and Registration

1,596 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by will.mcg
el_scorcho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Registration and inspection on my 89 Mustang expired a few years ago and I've finally completed some maintenance and repairs needed to get it back on the road again. Since it will be driven very infrequently, I would like to go the route of antique vehicle registration and not have to get yearly inspections and registration. I set up an appointment at the county tax office today and have filled out form VTR-54 to bring, along with the title, to get the registration and plates.
Anyone registered an antique vehicle and have any information or opinions to share?
locogringo
AG
I've got one antique registered vehicle and another in the works. I've never had any LEO even ask me about it.

Know/understand the rules associated with the antique registration and you should be good to go. 5 year inspections and no windshield sticker is very convenient (and IMO makes since for non DD vehicles.)
el_scorcho
AG
Update

I went to my appointment at the tax office and didn't even end up needing my title. I paid the pro-rated price remaining in the 5 year cycle and was given a single antique plate that has the registration expiration date printed onto the plate. Super easy and simple.
HBCanine08
AG
Thanks for this info. I will be doing the same soon.
will.mcg
AG
That's good to hear. I have a brake switch & turn signal kit on the way. Once installed it's off to the tax office for me to get an antique plate for my project.
Leeman
Interesting, the form states the vehicle can only be used for shows, parades, etc. It is NOT to be used for transportation (only to be fixed),.
txyaloo
AG
Leeman said:

Interesting, the form states the vehicle can only be used for shows, parades, etc. It is NOT to be used for transportation (only to be fixed),.
This has kept me on the fence with antique plates. I have several vehicles that could justifiably run farm tags but it's generally not worth the hassle if you get stopped.

I'm planning on running year of manufacture plates once my Bronco gets old enough.
el_scorcho
AG
I've heard stories of individuals with antique plates being hassled by police, but also heard folks never having any issues. Since the car is driven very infrequently, just about every drive would be to confirm a repair I made is functioning as expected. May be a good idea to print some of the statutes on antique registration and keeping them handy for the less informed peace officers.
HumbleAg04
AG
To think a fox body is now an "antique" made me feel both old and nauseous.
permabull
AG
will.mcg
AG
Did the tax office just want your form & money or did they make you provide anything else? Proof of insurance I assume. What about proof of ownership?
will.mcg
AG
Had to get a bonded title. Was not too bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.