PSA:Put the Plastic Down First

3,145 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aTm2004
RC_57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RC_57
AG
When breaking the differential cover off a truck that has 125,000 miles/ is eight years old, put some plastic down THEN put the drain pan down

Had to use my aluminum jack to break the cover loose. And of course it broke loose and the cover went one way, jettisoning the floor jack into the pan which skidded across the driveway.
The smelly old rear end fluid? Well of course, all of it spread over a 4' diameter on our 3 year old "was" fresh looking drive

Any one have any tips on getting an oil stain out of concrete?

(One other PSA. Don't start a new thread on an IPad )
will.mcg
AG
Try pouring gasoline on the area. If that doesn't work go get some Varsol.
Dumpster Fire
kitty litter.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Kitty litter helps but doesn't completely remove the stain from what I've seen on shop floor.
Mr. Dubi
Rags, then kitty litter, sweep well, rinse. Laundry detergent rubbed in with push broom and let sit a while, then scrub and rinse, repeat as needed.

In the future leave a couple bolts on the pan about 1/4" out. When you pry it loose this will limit how much the pan separates from the acle housing and allow for minimal spillage
metrag06
AG
I've had good luck with cheap (think Barbasol) shaving cream pulling oil out of driveway.
coolerguy12
AG
Dawn dish soap. Let it soak on for a while and then scrub like crazy.
The Fife
A friend had that happen with cooking oil and he lit it on fire and then powerwashed the soot out.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Pour down more oil so it's even. You now have a bespoke stained concrete driveway
dubi
AG
The Fife said:

A friend had that happen with cooking oil and he lit it on fire and then powerwashed the soot out.
POTD
Rexter
Cheap kitty litter. Soak up the wry stuff, then pour more kitty litter. Grind it with the truck tire. Leave it there for a few weeks, adding more litter as it blows away. Eventually it will remove all of the oil stain.
RC_57
AG
1st, thanks for all the replies

Dubi, on leaving a bolt in... There was no surface area to pry against (09 F-150). This was the 1st time the cover was coming off since it left the factory. It was on there so good even after placing a board against the side of the cover and then beating on the board with a sledge wouldn't budge it. So I ended up using the floor jack to "pop" it off. I thought about leaving a couple of bolts in but I didn't think the bolt holes gave sufficient room around the bolts to let the cover move enough to get free of the axle housing.

On the kitty litter, yep, been covering the area and grinding it in with my boots. Maybe I just need to be a bit more patient, give it more time, and keep the area unconvered to allow the sun to do its work too ( the spot is right under where I park my truck)

Keep those cards and letters coming in folks
TSUAggie
Use gasoline and kitty litter
HBCanine08
AG
What do y'all do with the kitty litter afterwards?
Resquell92
AG
Have had luck using Dawn dish washing detergent on slick garage floor. Not sure how well it will work on driveway surface.
TSUAggie
Kick it over my ***** Duh.
Burdizzo
AG
I had this happen once. I did the kitty litter/ oil dry. I did Dawn. I did brake fluid. I did oven cleaner. The best thing I found was lots of sunlight and patience.
The Fife
dubi said:

The Fife said:

POTD

Totally serious answer btw. The oil left an area of concrete that always looked wet and power washing alone didn't take care of it. His HOA was starting to time him because of it. What I left out was him spraying diesel on the area before lighting it, but it got enough of the stain to keep the HOA away so mission accomplished I guess.
TxAg20
AG
I always use Brakleen on oil spots after I'm done working on a slick shop floor. Sometimes the cleaned spot is lighter than the surrounding concrete.
JSKolache
AG
Use more cover than you think you'll need. i put a 4x8' board down under drain pan for changing oil and still get a few splashes on the driveway every time
litig8r187
AG
I just dig up the dirt, throw it in the neighbor's yard and put down fresh dirt ............. oh, wait, y'all got concrete. Never mind.
permabull
AG
Burdizzo
AG
hypeiv said:

I changed the diff oil in the garage once and didn't spill any of it but it still reeked for about a month... I say do that job on your driveway

Are you implying there is something offensive about the garage smelling like gear oil?
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
When I change my oil, I always get some splatter that goes further than the cardboard I have down (this last time was quite a bit), and I've always just wet the area and then poured Dawn dish soap on it, and then took a push broom and scrubbed with the grain of the concrete for a few minutes. If it's really heavy, I repeat it a few times, After I've done that, I rinse it and let the dampness dry a bit, then pour on baking soda and scrub that in with the push broom. I then just leave it. So far (crosses fingers), this has removed the stain, or at least made it so faint that it looks just like anything else in the driveway due to weather.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.