Will a cracked tail light cover cause you to fail an inspection?

30,640 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dill-Ag13
JuliusCaesarAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tail light functions perfectly, there's just a silver dollar sized hole in the plastic cover over the bulb. If most places would fail you for that, can anyone recommend a honk your horn here's your sticker inspection place in the BCS area?
TexAg1987
I think you can use a clear red tape over the hole. Auto parts places usually have it.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7701757
TecRecAg
AG
I highly, highly doubt they're going to get you for that. Especially if the light functions properly.
a07nathanb
AG
Yep, that's a fail. You can try the tape and maybe pass, but I'd suggest getting on eBay and buying a new one. Often times they're not expensive depending what type car it is.

Interesting note I just learned this week. After January 1 2017 your third brake light can also not have cracks and must be functioning.
Aggieangler93
AG
I just replaced the tail light cover on my 06 Silverado. It was $100+ all over town. Amazon had it for $46 to my door in a few days.
MouthBQ98
AG
Order one online. Places used to pass that, but the state regulators that govern the inspection mafia started cracking down and strictly speaking, any hole is a fail, and tape is not considered an acceptable repair. If it is only cracked you can glue it, but if it it holed you must replace it.
MouthBQ98
AG
Third brake light. Effing really? What a BS racket.
Silvy
AG
3rd brake lights are great. When people have sh*tty aftermarket LED tail lights, there isn't much contrast between running lights and brake lights. A 3rd brake light is either on or off, there's plenty of contrast.

Also helpful if the person in front of you constantly gets on their brakes late and has to slam on them. You can watch for a 3rd brake light from the car in front of them and be more prepared to slow down.
JuliusCaesarAggie
Found a place that would pass it. If you own a Land Rover, go to Land Rover Unlimited in Spring.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Look at silvy teaching responsible driving and stuff
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.