Cracked dash - 2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel

2,278 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
Inca
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This weekend, I noticed 2 small cracks in my dash. Truck is otherwise in great shape and has just under 70k miles on it. I did some Internet research and this appears to be a common problem, with cracks usually starting in the same place mine are.

I applied some silicone adhesive/sealant to hopefully stop the cracks from spreading. However, I'd like a better repair.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone had this happen and had any luck getting GM to replace the dash at a discounted rate?

2. Has anyone used a dashskin? How was the end result? How could I locate someone to install one if this is a good option?

TIA for any feedback and/or suggestions!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
This is a common issue on GMT900 trucks.

Depending on your relationship with the dealer, you may get a goodwill or a partial split for the repair.

Being that the truck is 8 years old, I'm gonna say you're probably SOL.

spieg12
AG
I have a '12 model 1500 that cracked at the corner of the passenger side airbag at around 30,000 miles. Haven't done anything about it yet since it can't spread as the crack is about an inch long and goes from one end of the plastic to the other. I never put things on the dash either.
Inca
AG
Follow up question......anyone have a ballpark range how much it costs to replace the dash?
aggiepaintrain
AG
This is an overlay that looks OEM for about $200
http://dashskin.com/

I've used them several times.
Inca
AG
That is exactly where the worst of the 2 cracks is. I also never put anything on my dash.
Inca
AG
I found these last night and it looked like a decent option. How would I find someone to install this?
aggiepaintrain
AG
You can do it yourself it's super easy.
spieg12
AG
I'm pretty sure mine cracked due to being in the sun all the time. I should have gotten one of those windshield things to block the sun since I live in an apartment and it just sits in the parking lot.
TRIDENT
AG
Sounds like an easy 30 minute project that you can do yourself very easily.
Willis
AG
My '08 Silverado cracked right down the center above the radio towards the hood. I found out it was a known problem after researching. I plan to drive the truck for as long as I possibly can and I hope whatever high school kid I sell it to ten years from now won't care about the dash.
AgEng06
AG
GMT900 ('08 Sierra) with cracked dash, checking in...
Dolemite
AG
There's a company called Fibrenew that may be able to help you. I've never used it myself. But, an old co-worker of mine left the cubicle rat race and purchased a Fibrenew franchise.
Silvy
AG
GMT800
The Wonderer
AG
2007 Suburban with multiple crack checking in.
KRamp90
AG
My 2011 burb dash was replaced by the dealer with a $100.00 contribution. It had less than 100K...
Inca
AG
How old was your vehicle when the dash was replaced? How did you get this deal? I would be happy if I could get my dash replaced for $300-400.

I love my truck and take good care of it. I have zero other complaints about it but the dash is going to drive me crazy.
KRamp90
AG
Probs 2015. It was the dealer I bought it from.
The Wonderer
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

This is an overlay that looks OEM for about $200
http://dashskin.com/

I've used them several times.
Trying to justify doing this on the 2007 Suburban that I'm going to be selling in a few months. Would the ~$200 spent be worth to clean the dash up for sale?
beer.morebeer.mostbeer
KRamp90 said:

My 2011 burb dash was replaced by the dealer with a $100.00 contribution. It had less than 100K...
Same here on a Tahoe. Paid $100 that was for a 2010 several years ago. Cracked again.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Are you guys putting anything on the dash like Armour All?
malibu9in1
Nothing to do with chemicals. Just a bad design. 8 out of the last 10 I've sold had cracked dashes. Sucks.
The Wonderer
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Are you guys putting anything on the dash like Armour All?
I never touched mine other than with a wet rag.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.