Opinion on tires

7 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieChemist
SA Ag 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am getting close to needing new tires on a '06 Chevy 1/2 ton truck.

Have come across some takes offs from a Jeep. They are Goodyear Wrangler SRA's.

Any opinion on them - seem to be mixed reviews on-line.
Silvy
AG
No, do not use any Goodyear tire.

What tire size and what kind of tire do you want, AT or highway?
SA Ag 91
AG
Highway or "light" off-road use is all I need. 255/65r17.
Furlock Bones
AG
SRAs suck something fierce.
GrapevineAg
AG
I'm pretty biased when it comes to tires for a light truck... Michelin LTX is all I'll buy.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
If you are going to put some average miles per year on a light truck there is one tire, and one tire only, Michelin LTX.
The Wonderer
AG
GrapevineAg said:

I'm pretty biased when it comes to tires for a light truck... Michelin LTX is all I'll buy.
Agreed if you're running over 20k+ miles a year. They'll go 80k miles if cared for.

They'll dry rot before you wear them out if you're running less than that. Most expensive at $220+/tire for 275/55/R20

I've been running Goodyear Eagle LS2 in the 275/55/R20 size on my F150 for over 70k miles without a problem. I'll be buying new tires in the next 2-3k miles. Not bad for the ~$150/tire I paid for them five or six years ago (currently $119/tire, so looks like I'm taking the truck in this week to get new rubbers).
Silvy
AG
I'm guessing you want something more budget friendly since you were considering those Goodyears. Since you're getting new tires, I'd go ahead and get something with a bigger contact patch but you do you, pimp.

255/65-70: 30.05" tall
Hankook Dynapro ATM: $133 ea.
Yokohama YK HTX: $166 ea. (If you want to avoid AT tires)

265/65-17: 30.56" tall
Yokohama Geolander HT: $142 ea.
Hankook Dynapro ATM: $147 ea.
Cooper HTP: $159 ea.

275/60-17: 29.99" tall
Nitro 420: $130 ea.
Hankook RH06: $143 ea.
Yokohama H/T-S: $153 ea.

The 420 and RH06 are more street tires and will have excellent traction on road, but you need to use your judgement whether they'll be able to do whatever kind of "light offroad" driving you do.

I haven't drank the Michelin Kool-Aid myself.
HumbleAg04
AG
I had the SRAs on my Silverado from the factory. They absolutely suck off the pavement. A slight incline on caliche and they'd lose traction immediately. They now reside on my wife's tahoe and I get some KO2s.

They were smooth as hell on the highway though, but yes the Michelin LTX are a better tire.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you dont go offroad, the Firestone Destination LE2 are a fantastic bang for the buck.

They're quiet, ride nice and priced right. If you like something a little more aggressive, you can take a look at the Destination AT2

A step up if you like a nicer brand would be the Bridgestone Dueler HL ALenza.

The Michelins as others have echoed are great tires if you drive more than 20K a year. If you're averaging 12K a year, they'll dry rot far before you get all the usable tread life out of them.

Check costco for deals as well on their Michelin and brdigestones.
robertcope
I'll second the Destination LE2 recommendation. They've been great on the Expedition. I will say that I'm not totally pleased with how long they've lasted; I probably need to look at new tires because these are cracking and looking sad, and they're not but three years and 30K miles or so old. I personally don't really care about replacing tires that often, but for a 60K tire, it seems like a short life; that said, most people would probably keep running 'em.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
robertcope said:

I'll second the Destination LE2 recommendation. They've been great on the Expedition. I will say that I'm not totally pleased with how long they've lasted; I probably need to look at new tires because these are cracking and looking sad, and they're not but three years and 30K miles or so old. I personally don't really care about replacing tires that often, but for a 60K tire, it seems like a short life; that said, most people would probably keep running 'em.
maybe take them to your local firestone and see what they say?
Just checked, Weather Checking and Cracking is covered by 4 year warranty...
TMfrisco
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

If you dont go offroad, the Firestone Destination LE2 are a fantastic bang for the buck.

They're quiet, ride nice and priced right. If you like something a little more aggressive, you can take a look at the Destination AT2

A step up if you like a nicer brand would be the Bridgestone Dueler HL ALenza.

The Michelins as others have echoed are great tires if you drive more than 20K a year. If you're averaging 12K a year, they'll dry rot far before you get all the usable tread life out of them.

Check costco for deals as well on their Michelin and brdigestones.
Got 60-65K on these on my F150. They are quiet and ride nice and a very good value.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Just got some Destination L/E2s on my 05 F-150 a couple weeks ago. So far so good.
BigPuma
AG
I ran the piss out of a set of Destination A/Ts several years ago. They are pretty bad ass.
ag09
AG
i have some like new k02's for sale with less than 500 miles on them if you want a deal.
Jason Ag
AG
silverado_lover said:

No, do not use any Goodyear tire

I just bought two Goodyear tires from Sams Club. What impending doom am I in for?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
oldarmyag08 said:

silverado_lover said:

No, do not use any Goodyear tire

I just bought two Goodyear tires from Sams Club. What impending doom am I in for?
its really more about their inconsistent quality that drives me crazy.
EskimoJoe
AgOutsideAustin said:

If you are going to put some average miles per year on a light truck there is one tire, and one tire only, Michelin LTX.

By the end of the week, I'll turn over 130k miles on the set on my company pickup.
robertcope
1agswitchin4lanes said:

robertcope said:

Thanks, that was my plan. But really, I'll probably just replace them with Michelins despite having had no problems at all with the LE2s and recommending them every chance I get.
Silvy
AG
The tires seperating.
GrapevineAg
AG
The Wonderer said:

GrapevineAg said:

Agreed if you're running over 20k+ miles a year. They'll go 80k miles if cared for.

They'll dry rot before you wear them out if you're running less than that. Most expensive at $220+/tire for 275/55/R20

I've been running Goodyear Eagle LS2 in the 275/55/R20 size on my F150 for over 70k miles without a problem. I'll be buying new tires in the next 2-3k miles. Not bad for the ~$150/tire I paid for them five or six years ago (currently $119/tire, so looks like I'm taking the truck in this week to get new rubbers).

I've seen the "dry rot" thing posted on here several times with respect to the Michelin LTX tires. Can you please elaborate? I really don't mean to sound snarky - just curious about what I need to look out for.

I just put a new set of LTX M/S2's on my 4Runner. The last set was down to 5/32"+ of tread remaining after ~50,000 miles in 4 years.. They started with 12/32", so I guesstimate I could have gone another 8,000-10,000 miles on them. At 12,500 miles per year, that's 5-6 years of life. I think I'm on my 5th or 6th set of these tires on an SUV and I've never seen cracking or rot. I don't use Armor All on them, and the SUV is usually parked in a garage at home and at work.
The Wonderer
AG
GrapevineAg said:

The Wonderer said:

GrapevineAg said:

I've seen the "dry rot" thing posted on here several times with respect to the Michelin LTX tires. Can you please elaborate? I really don't mean to sound snarky - just curious about what I need to look out for.

I just put a new set of LTX M/S2's on my 4Runner. The last set was down to 5/32"+ of tread remaining after ~50,000 miles in 4 years.. They started with 12/32", so I guesstimate I could have gone another 8,000-10,000 miles on them. At 12,500 miles per year, that's 5-6 years of life. I think I'm on my 5th or 6th set of these tires on an SUV and I've never seen cracking or rot. I don't use Armor All on them, and the SUV is usually parked in a garage at home and at work.
Lucky you. Your keeping it out of the sun is what is helping you get prolonged rubber life.

UV light deteriorates the rubber and it begins to break down and crack . I had cracking (around the rim and below the tread on the sidewall) on a five year old set on my 02 F150 with only 60k of them - all the time in either Texas or Florida.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
robertcope said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

robertcope said:

Thanks, that was my plan. But really, I'll probably just replace them with Michelins despite having had no problems at all with the LE2s and recommending them every chance I get.
And in 3 years they'll dry rot with 30K on them....

My super duty is 2 years old with 9700 miles, and has OEM michelins and are already starting to show dry rot.
robertcope
1agswitchin4lanes said:

robertcope said:

And in 3 years they'll dry rot with 30K on them....
Oh, sure. I don't think they'll last any longer or do any better than the LE2s. I just like to try new stuff. Also remember that I go through tires like most people go through, I don't know, bread or something, with my track cars, so my mentality towards tires is not normal. I've tried to be patient with these and wait to replace them, it's not easy for me!
The Wonderer
AG
How many miles do your Destinations have on them and what is the size?

Nvm, saw that you're replacing due to issues, not because you just want to.
MultifamilyAg
AG
I worked for DTC for 7 years. I did drink the Michelelin Kool-aid. Goodyears are in fact god awful. Wife rolls on Michelins and I liked my stock Bridgestones on my F150 enough to buy a second set after 65k miles.
Jason Ag
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Nevermind, I just set up an appointment for Friday to buy a set of 4 of these. Apparently Firestone is running a $100 off a purchase greater than $500 Fri-Sun.

With road hazard and the 100 bucks off, they qouted me $648 for four 245/70/17s. Seems pretty good, especially with the 4 yr warranty.
3rd Platoon
AG
The Bridgestone Alenza's I've had on my Tahoe have been great for 2+ years and 21K miles. Tread is still in good shape (I get them rotated regularly though and do alignment every 10K miles), even wear, and the ride is soft. I got them on a Black Friday sale at Firestone and opted for them over the LE2s I used to have (which are darn good in their own right).
robertcope
oldarmyag08 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Nevermind, I just set up an appointment for Friday to buy a set of 4 of these.
I have no doubt you will be pleased with these!
Terk
AG
The Wonderer said:

GrapevineAg said:

I never got more than 33K on the LS2's on my 1/2 ton GMC!
The Wonderer
AG
Terk said:

The Wonderer said:

GrapevineAg said:

I never got more than 33K on the LS2's on my 1/2 ton GMC!
Replaced my Pirelli Scorpion STRs at 40k and am now at 111k.

ETA: to be fair, I'm at the wear bars and am due up immediate to get new tires. I drove them for every mile I could get out of them.
Tagguy
AG
Quote:

255/65-70: 30.05" 83.1" tall
with 6.5" sidewall
Daaaamn Silvy keepin it thoed with them rubber band tires.
AggieChemist
AG
My 05 Sierra is on its third set of Goodyear Wrangler ATs. I get about 60k out of them, and I do a good deal of driving on gravel/dirt/off road. Plus, they're good in the snow. They've handled everything that 12 years of driving in West Virginia can throw at them.
Your daily commute in Houston MMV.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.